Sign in to follow this  
johnrowe

chinacellphones - Possible scammer selling high-end laptops

qball
Tanaka, I buy ebooks and actually do great a portion of my professional work in that industry; assisting local publisher to digitize their content. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT BUSINESS. I had no intention to bash that industry.

Please don't take what I said out of context. The SELLER under discussion dealt in a few ebooks and paid for varification - and that is ALL I was referring to.

Please do not use Upper case - this denotes shouting in net etiquette terms.

Thank you

qball
I also got a mysterious PO for the HP 8740 @ R 7,000. Strange thing was that there was a QUESTION/ANSWERS where some person agreed to pay R6,500! After a mail or two I had my doubts.... good thing BoB offers some good transaction trails on past auctions.

I'm just wondering if the whole "VERIFIED" bit is not too easy to obtain. Some criteria should be included. Take a great SELLER like NEUX, I have no probs with her be verified but for BoB to verify some seller who dealt in a few PDFs and paid some dosh, I don't agree. Simple criteria like X amount of sales ratings to the combined value greater than Y, liked to having a banking record/account of more than a year would be a start.

I also have a problem with all the drop-shippers popping up... but that's a different story. The CPA should be stricter to the "promoter / advertising platform" for poor quality product to have a platform like BoB take partial responsibility where they facilitate the trade of poor quality products (after verifying the seller) - the do after all share in the spoils (even though it is only 3 to 5%)

... just my 2c worth.

Being a Verified user means the following - we have run a ID, criminal and credit check on you. It validates that you are who you say you are, that you have no criminal record and that your credit history is good. It means we have a valid address for you and ID so if anything should go wrong, you will be easier to trace. It does not however, guarantee that a seller will supply goods due to whatever issues they may have.

We have had legal advice on the CPA and we will not be taking any responsibility, partial or full, regarding the manner in which sellers advertise their goods or the quality of such items. It will still remain the sellers responsibility and obligation to ensure they advertise accurately and truthfully, as has always been the case even before the Act came into being.

Let's keep to the topic and not let personal feelings and opinions to cause any further problems, thank you.

CDS

Well, in this case BEING VERIFIED has meant absolutely ZERO to myself and 50 or so other buyers.

If this VERIFIED waste of time thing had any credibility, the so called VERIFIED seller's details would have been VERIFIED and we could now VERIFY that Edmond the Babboon was not running loose out there. For high value items VERIFIED SELLER means ZIP, NADA, NIKS, ZERO.

My advice is that for high value items the seller must be prepared for C.O.D payments with personal delivery or collection. If not, buyer beware.

qball

Being Verified does cover the buyer to a maximum of R3000 based on the sellers rating score at the time, so it does help buyers recover at least a partial amount. Your suggestions, although admirable will be very difficult to implement and enforce. Mainly due to the fact that the majority of sellers are legit, reliable and trustworthy, and for high value goods, usually do not allow collections for security and safety reasons. Please also be aware that bidorbuy is never physically involved in the transaction thus cannot predict or foresee such incidents happening. I think everyone needs to understand that being Verified, whilst adding a lot more credibility to the seller, does not necessarily mean that it is a guarantee that the seller will deliver or that the seller may not encounter other issues which may affect their ability to deliver. It is regrettable that this has happened but we will do everything we can to assist you.

ZoneMan

Well then I reckon the checks should have higher criteria, even if it costs more.

qball

Unfortunately, no matter what checks are carried out or how much it costs it will never guarantee 100% that someone will deliver an item. There is no physical way to ensure this. Being an internet based company it is logistically impossible to verify, vett or investigate every individual who utilises the site, there ae geographical, technical, legal and financial constraints that make this virtually impossible.

Being Verified does add a lot more credibility to a user, it will at least let you know that their identity is correct, that they do not have a criminal record and that their credit history is clean. Not only that but bidorbuy also guarantees buyer protection to the value of R3000 (maximum), in the event of fraud. The problem is not all fraud is predictable or preventable due to the nature of internet commerce, no matter what systems you have in place or money you spend.

lilythepink

Cuan, you need a medal! Some of us are very happy to be verified sellers!

ZoneMan

This is my last comment on this thread:

Please consider that having no credit history might make it look good too. Perhaps you should only validate banking details where the account holder had an account for more than 6 months or a year.

qball

Actually a clean credit history indicates that you have never gotten yourself into debt, no defaults or judgements against your name, thus showing that you are reliable payer. It does add credibility to your status, banks look at this when granting further credit. Validating bank details will not guarantee delivery of an item I'm afraid, so this check does not prevent this from happening - we do not have access to personal banking details and the banks will not allow us to verify their client details. Whilst it is great to get such suggestions, practical reasons do not always allow us the luxury of implementing such measures.