Sign in to follow this  
johnrowe

chinacellphones - Possible scammer selling high-end laptops

lilythepink
We need to alert each other of scammers or potential scammers on BoB (we used to have the team running around here at night), and the BoB spy network do route out the stupid ones that make false accounts abroad to try cover their tracks so that is good news.

Wonder if JP has forgotten where he parked his "fast car" that used to root out the scammers? JP, you are far too quiet on the forum - where are you, lad?

@Jax - BoB do not file cases (they cannot from a legal point of view as the buyers are the ones who have been scammed, not BoB!) But you can try and liaise with other buyers who have been scammed and, then, have one investigating officer deal with all the various cases.

felixcoza

i am a newbie and in hindsight all the red flags makes sense, but I've been had, gave up on the auction, thought i lost - got mail next day to confirm my win, paid R6500. all very exiting .....

I cant believe that if this pattern of running a scam by building credibility by trading on low cost items, then doing a quick switch to big ticket items, and getting yourself listed as a verified seller and than promoted via email fliers, cant be detected! with todays technology?!? and all the eyes?! theres hould be an easy way for people to flag this to other members and to BOB WITHOUT A LABORIOUS FORUM LOGIN-SEARCH-COMENT-WAIT....THEN THE DAMAGE IS DONE?!

I doubt I will fall for this again as I said hindsight, and I doubt I will use BOB again.

I have is "company name" and banking details if anyone wants them.

Hope Bennett and co can do something.... ?

not much use 40 people laying charges all over the country for a few thou each, he managed to take R100 000 +++++ from all, we know what will happen to a small insignificant charge at some backwater police station.

Is there not a way, (understand BOB cant do much) for BOB to get all the victims to lodge 1 charge in Pretoria from where he operated? useless for me in CT to lodge a small case here, how is inspector x ever going to bother ...

lilythepink

Please don't be demoralised, felixdotcoza. SAPS intelligence are doing their best to fight white-collar crime and although it takes a couple of years to see justice done, believe me it is being done! You need to ask at your Police Station for the "white-collar crime investigating officer" and he/she will take it from there. You will, of course, have to repeatedly keep at it by keeping in touch with the investigating officer but I know from personal experience that it pays huge dividends in the long run. (My experience did not relate to a BoB matter and the felons in my case were found guilty of fraud, now have criminal records, and had to repay me in monthly instalments - failing which they would be jailed immediately!)

All people who are opening cases with SAPS need to ask their investigating officer to get hold of BoB to get information on others who are in a similar predicament with the same seller, and insist that your investigating officer liaise with all the other buyers - eventually one investigating officer will be there representing all buyers who have been robbed. From there it is a matter of time before the matter is in Court.

It's only when South Africans start standing up for their rights and following the slow wheels of the train of justice as it travels forward (with all the frustrations and time involved in pursuing matters) that scammers will begin to realise that SA is not quite the place to be conning people. I did not need lawyers or advocates - the State did it all on my behalf!

qball
Inviting the scammer to join? :disgusted:... Sorry...

Alas... Sadly that simply does NOT work on BOB... It give the scammer plenty of wobbly "teary" mirrors to warp the real truth and plenty of duck tape; to silence us, the BOB victims.

Sincerely, I think an arrest, open court case and prosecution would do it for all involved...

Carte Blanche would be useful if, BOB were guilty in aiding the scammer etc. or, unhelpful to you...

Best of luck again.

Edmund....:noworry: [:biggrin:]

Hi Edmund

We will be happy to discuss any issues with Carte Blanche! But before we do may I point out that we cannot open cases on behalf of victims, and yes, we will do what we can to assist any victim who has fallen prey to such individuals. Our terms and conditions have been checked and double checked regarding our responsibilities and obligations and we are confident that they are legally sound.

It is regrettable that such things happen, as soon as the negatives starting coming in we removed the sellers items and restricted their ability to sell, however, this is often only after the fact.

Buyers affected by this have been contacted and advised on a course of action. Unfortunately the way our legal system works, each individual must contact their local SAPS to open a case of theft under false pretenses against the seller. The cases are then combined at a regional level, and sometimes transferred to a larger region if it is warranted. That is how it works, we can't open cases as we did not make the payments nor are we legally considered the buyer. It is up to each individual to open a case. We will assist where we can.

Kind regards

Cuan

Kind regards

JPBon
Wonder if JP has forgotten where he parked his "fast car" that used to root out the scammers? JP, you are far too quiet on the forum - where are you, lad?

@Jax - BoB do not file cases (they cannot from a legal point of view as the buyers are the ones who have been scammed, not BoB!) But you can try and liaise with other buyers who have been scammed and, then, have one investigating officer deal with all the various cases.

I am here just extremely quiet and sort of down.

Seeds for Africa
Inviting the scammer to join? :disgusted:... Sorry...

Alas... Sadly that simply does NOT work on BOB... It give the scammer plenty of wobbly "teary" mirrors to warp the real truth and plenty of duck tape; to silence us, the BOB victims.

Sincerely, I think an arrest, open court case and prosecution would do it for all involved...

Carte Blanche would be useful if, BOB were guilty in aiding the scammer etc. or, unhelpful to you...

Best of luck again.

Edmund....:noworry: [:biggrin:]

I think Bob do their best to help when fraud occurs, in assisting the investigating teams. You may want to refer to previous threads where it is crystal clear of bobs co-operation in investigations.

Onto your Carte Blanche suggestion. If Bob were complicit in the scam yes by all means bring them under scrutiny. But you say that if Bob were unhelpful to you, that Carte Blanche would also be an option? I find Bob very helpful and they go the extra mile. Sure they make mistakes, but they are not dishonest. Helpfulness is subjective - what one person may consider as being helpful another may not.

Can you imagine the irrepairable damage that would be done, to sellers and bob, if a bob user reported Bob to carteblanche as being complicit in scams?

You should possibly read what user CDS said. He was inviting the people who had been scammed to join the forum - not the scammer. Well thats the way I read it anyway.

Thanks

Guest Guest
I think Bob do their best to help when fraud occurs, in assisting the investigating teams. You may want to refer to previous threads where it is crystal clear of bobs co-operation in investigations.

Onto your Carte Blanche suggestion. If Bob were complicit in the scam yes by all means bring them under scrutiny. But you say that if Bob were unhelpful to you, that Carte Blanche would also be an option? I find Bob very helpful and they go the extra mile. Sure they make mistakes, but they are not dishonest. Helpfulness is subjective - what one person may consider as being helpful another may not.

Can you imagine the irrepairable damage that would be done, to sellers and bob, if a bob user reported Bob to carteblanche as being complicit in scams?

You should possibly read what user CDS said. He was inviting the people who had been scammed to join the forum - not the scammer. Well thats the way I read it anyway.

Thanks

Hi!

You really misunderstood me - I was replying to buyer "CDS"... I did NOT suggested Carte Blanche "CDS" did. Please check and read his full post and then my reply to that person again...

I also cannot see how Carte Blanche will be of any use. BOB cannot be blamed.

I share your sentiments 100%

Edited by Edmund1000

Guest Guest
Hi Edmund

We will be happy to discuss any issues with Carte Blanche! But before we do may I point out that we cannot open cases on behalf of victims, and yes, we will do what we can to assist any victim who has fallen prey to such individuals. Our terms and conditions have been checked and double checked regarding our responsibilities and obligations and we are confident that they are legally sound.

It is regrettable that such things happen, as soon as the negatives starting coming in we removed the sellers items and restricted their ability to sell, however, this is often only after the fact.

Buyers affected by this have been contacted and advised on a course of action. Unfortunately the way our legal system works, each individual must contact their local SAPS to open a case of theft under false pretenses against the seller. The cases are then combined at a regional level, and sometimes transferred to a larger region if it is warranted. That is how it works, we can't open cases as we did not make the payments nor are we legally considered the buyer. It is up to each individual to open a case. We will assist where we can.

Kind regards

Cuan

Kind regards

Hi Cuan

You guys did not read what I said... I did NOT suggested Carte Blanche "CDS" did.:-(( I'm PRO BOB!!! Please, check and read his full post and then my replyto that person again...

I do NOT believe that Carte Blanche can be of any use here. Please read what I told the buyer: who wants to go to Carte Blanche...

Edited by Edmund1000

CDS

As I said, I was inviting the victims to join a forum discussion. Not sure where the story of getting the scammer to join comes from!!!???

Yes, it would be unfortunate and unfair for honest traders on BoB to have a story like this appear on a programme like Carte Blanche.

Guest Guest
As I said, I was inviting the victims to join a forum discussion. Not sure where the story of getting the scammer to join comes from!!!???

Yes, it would be unfortunate and unfair for honest traders on BoB to have a story like this appear on a programme like Carte Blanche.

Thanks Tananka.

[1]Why is it that BoB does not explain these things to us and does not keep us informed?

[2] This is a massive fraud that will be getting some bad publicity, a made for Carte Blanche story. It's just a pity it may temporarily tarnish the reputation of a good business/trading platform for honest BoB sellers and buyers.

[3] Anybody have an idea of how all the victims of Edmond Machimana can form a private group discussion on the BoB forum? How do I go about inviting them to join?

You are right - I did misunderstand you on that one. I thought the "them" was a reference to the scammers. I'm sorry - it's a "grammar" thing... I sincerely apologize to you for that.

Kind regards

Edmund :nuts:

Seeds for Africa
Hi!

You really misunderstood me - I was replying to buyer "CDS"... I did NOT suggested Carte Blanche "CDS" did. Please check and read his full post and then my reply to that person again...

I also cannot see how Carte Blanche will be of any use. BOB cannot be blamed.

I share your sentiments 100%

Sorry then Edmund.... no offence.

Thanks

Grant

Guest Guest

Hi Grant

No problem at all.

As you can see - I also slipped nicely too... Lot of black pots and kettles here... LOL!

Kind regards

CDS

Was beginning to think you were the Edmond I'm looking for ;-)))

Guest Guest
Was beginning to think you were the Edmond I'm looking for ;-)))

I just made sure that our doors are all locked... Who knows, maybe you are becoming a BOB-prowler man!

LOL. ~ :bigsmile:

Kind regards

Edmond... Oops, I mean Edmund.

PS :biggrin:

Seeds for Africa
I just made sure that our doors are all locked... Who knows, maybe you are becoming a BOB-prowler man!

LOL. ~

Kind regards

Edmond... Oops, I mean Edmund.

PS

Hello Edmond

I think Bob should check that the ip address you are posting from, is not the same as China Cellphones :suspicious:

:biggrin:

Andries.... please can you investigate ! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CDS

:idea::suspicious::smile1:

Guest Guest

Haaw! This looks velly, velly jolly!

Anybody interested in velly cheap yet, velly goot rice wine? Buy ten liters for R999 and, get a looks-just-like-da-Blackberry 100% flee. No Carte Blanche girls please... Why yoo ask? See only woolly rhino for sale on BOB... :sad2: No rhino...: no RHINO!

PS :toung:...

PetrC

Hi,

Another victim here. I bid and won 2 items form Edmond Machimana. A dell vostro for R8300.00 and a cellphone for R740.00. It all seemed legit as BoB stated that he was a verified seller. I made the payment and he kept on making excuses why delivery was taking so long. Eventually I got an email from BoBadmin informing me that chinacellphones was scamming people and that I should open a case of theft against him. I opened the case yesterday, and still waiting to get the case number, after which I will sent all the relevant info to BoB to add to their case and facilitate my claim. As expected both telephone numbers given to me by BoB is now permanently unavailable. I contacted the ABSA fraud line this morning, and the lady confirmed my payments into his account, but then she also told me that all the funds was withdrawn from the account a couple of days ago, but at least his account has now been frozen. Not that it will help much, because he is probably spending his lotto somewhere in Mauritius at this moment.

ZoneMan

Just too FISHY

I also got a mysterious PO for the HP 8740 @ R 7,000. Strange thing was that there was a QUESTION/ANSWERS where some person agreed to pay R6,500! After a mail or two I had my doubts.... good thing BoB offers some good transaction trails on past auctions.

I'm just wondering if the whole "VERIFIED" bit is not too easy to obtain. Some criteria should be included. Take a great SELLER like NEUX, I have no probs with her be verified but for BoB to verify some seller who dealt in a few PDFs and paid some dosh, I don't agree. Simple criteria like X amount of sales ratings to the combined value greater than Y, liked to having a banking record/account of more than a year would be a start.

I also have a problem with all the drop-shippers popping up... but that's a different story. The CPA should be stricter to the "promoter / advertising platform" for poor quality product to have a platform like BoB take partial responsibility where they facilitate the trade of poor quality products (after verifying the seller) - the do after all share in the spoils (even though it is only 3 to 5%)

... just my 2c worth.

Vinyl Lady Decals
but for BoB to verify some seller who dealt in a few PDFs and paid some dosh, I don't agree.

I find this comment highly offensive and uncalled for - just because a seller sells ebooks does not mean they are dishonest or dodgy or will ever be in the future - ebooks are also products and actually attract a lot of buyers to the site. I can testify to that from the number of newbie buyers I get. I am also a verified seller.

Also there are many perfectly legitimate buyers who are genuinely interested in ebooks and your comment implies that buying an ebook also makes one dodgy as they are automatically doing it for the ratings. Some may be, but most do not.

If you follow the news at all, you will have heard / read that ebooks are actually outselling normal books worldwide and this is set to continue, so perhaps you should find out more about a particular industry before making comments like this.

ZoneMan

Tanaka, I buy ebooks and actually do great a portion of my professional work in that industry; assisting local publisher to digitize their content. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT BUSINESS. I had no intention to bash that industry.

Please don't take what I said out of context. The SELLER under discussion dealt in a few ebooks and paid for varification - and that is ALL I was referring to.

lilythepink

@ Zoneman - I, too, in the main sell low-priced items and am a verified seller! Hope I'm not being thrown into the washing machine with the verified sellers you are referring to! I think that most verified sellers are authentic. In any situation in life, any office or company, there will always be one or two rotten eggs and I think it's unfair to judge the whole lot on those who "stink"!

I haven't taken any offence, promise you - but just wanted to point this out.

ZoneMan

Guys really, like I said, take what I said in context. Look at China's pattern of use. And Why be a verified seller if your sales amounts are < R50?!

AND please come up with some criteria that will give the proper "respect/status" to the verified tick. Why would you aspire to be verified if it hold no status?

lilythepink

From my own perspective, being verified isn't a "status symbol" but, rather, proof to buyers that BoB has checked me, my history, my ID and bank account out and that I am "good to buy from". (And being verified does have a couple of privileges when it comes to listings, payments, etc.)

Vinyl Lady Decals

Exactly, I agree with Lily, being verified means that BoB has investigated you and found that you are who you say you are and therefore should be trustworthy to buy from - it has nothing whatsoever to do with turnover or the type and cost of items you sell.