Sign in to follow this  
johnrowe

chinacellphones - Possible scammer selling high-end laptops

SProducts
Heres to hoping he drowns-:evil:

Hoping he doesnt die and gets washed back to South Africa to answer for his crimes. Its so sad how the bad people get away with with everything easily.:sad:

johnrowe
Really sad to read about this! Just had a quick look at the seller's ratings and most of them come from e-books and e-recipes (R1 a pop with no postage).

Always read the ratings folks :sad2:

This is one of the things that made me suspicious. I thought it odd that a guy selling high-end laptops bought a ton of Recipe Books. It looked clearly as if he simply did this to up his ratings.

johnrowe
One thing I can recommend is checking the ratings from buyers on similar items. If the seller has not sold any big electronic items before rather not bid.

I agree 100%. I am now busy looking for a laptop on BOB but one of my NEW rules now is that the seller must have sold laptops previously and received positive ratings from happy buyers.

JPBon
I agree 100%. I am now busy looking for a laptop on BOB but one of my NEW rules now is that the seller must have sold laptops previously and received positive ratings from happy buyers.

There are a few really good sellers in this field, have a look on the bob facebook page a few of them advertise their listings on there often.

zerohour

I also just got a nice laptop from oldmanit no problems (bargain):bigsmile:

Seeds for Africa

Check ratings, use gut feel and if a deal seems to good to be true - it probably is,

Very sad for the buyers who got conned.

@brandsonline - agreed this effects honest sellers and bob as a whole!

Vinyl Lady Decals

This makes me sooo angry, BoB gets a bad name when this happens. Very bad for all of us:hm:

ATA STAMP CENTRE

This is now turning into a huge fraud-23 NEGATIVES-most items in excess of R10 000 EACH-Hope someone is taking action-

NEIL

Zainius

Hi All,

I really feel bad about this now. Around the 22/23rd I was looking for a new laptop and decided to hit up BoB due to the fact that I got an email from them advertising the Wednesday specials. There were some potentially great deals to be had and i put in some 'hopeful' bids for a few items and lost all of them (one or two were much to my relief)

One of those sellers was this chinacellphones.

Now around 3 years ago there was a seller called Goods_for_Africa with whom I paid for a laptop. He was a verified seller and me thinking this meant something spent around R6k including R750 on ridiculous shipping charges for what looked like an incredible deal. The deal quickly went sour and the seller did a runner with a lot of peoples money. A case was opened but I never heard back from BoB about it despite a few enquiries.

I basically lost R3000 on this deal so it put me off spending big on BoB again and made a much more savy buyer. I looked into different suggestions on how to spot a scam and I did do my research on each of the sellers I made bids on. Chinacellphones history sent a good few flags up.

Only selling cheap items and then suddenly in the space of a few days selling a number of expensive items really made me wary.

The day after I lost his/her auction I was sent a personal offer. I was immediately skeptical and went online to see if there was any way to contact the 'winner' to see if he or she was aware i was made a personal offer and if they thought the deal was still on. Obviously this was not possible.

So I posted a question to him/her asking if he could offer BoBPay as an option as it was a lot of money to be paying and I was scammed before. He replied saying he was verified seller so 'trustworthy'. The verified seller means I would get R3k back out of the much higher sum I would have paid if I was scammed. Simply not an option and i refused the offer.

What I really feel bad about was my instinct was to come on the forums and give a heads up to the community but I lost my password for the forum and the password recover tool on here doesnt work, and still seems to be down so I just went on.

It was purely out of curiosity that I returned and was not completely surprised to now see over 20 negative rating for this seller.

I am sorry for those who might lose their hard earned money because of this and to those who still have the opportunity not to pay, obviously dont. I hope there is a happy ending in this somewhere and he gets convicted with a group action to get all the moneys recovered.

Im afraid the bargain is often too good to refuse and this is what predators like this person preys on...

Z

Edited by admin
Corrected sellers username

Zainius

Having just done a quick check on the forum, it does appear that my scammer Goods For Africa was convicted and sent to jail (I hope he is actually there)

Took a while but it got done. Some comfort in that.

Fruitloop123

To late-What now.....

Well I was fooled by the positive ratings and the fact that he is a verified user,this guy Edmund took R12 500 of my money(i am a student).

Bid or buy somehow removed his address and his verified status. I've sent BoB an complaining email and haven't heard a word since Thursday.

If I add up all the negative ratings this guy received in the past week he took R150 000+ from bob users.

This is where my concern lies-It is ridiculous for a user to become "Verified" by just faxing a copy of your ID. Surely there has to be a interview with BoB staff to make sure it is a legit person.(Because I can use anybody's ID and become "verified")

Who do we hold responsible? And what do we do ? Open a case at the police station against someone who might not even exist or know that a account was created in their name? Why didn't BoB alert us as this HUGE Bargain Auction weekend kicked of and robbed us all.Surely this raises a flag????

Well this is my story......And it sucks that the "Biggest Online Auction and Buying" store can't protect us....

Buy again on BoB,i don't think so.....

Kind Regards

CDS

I agree and BoB must answer fot this. I want to lay a charge but I need Edmond Machimana's ID/ Passport details. Surely as this is a criminal case I have a right to know? As a so called 'verified seller' BoB has all the info we need to track down this rat and prosecute him.

Give us the info and feedback we need BoB! We have a right to pursue this matter legally and report it to the police.

Vinyl Lady Decals

The correct route to follow is to lay a charge of fraud, once you forward the case number to BoB, they will be more than willing to assist the police with whatever details are required. BoB will not give you the details until you have a case number.

admin
Well I was fooled by the positive ratings and the fact that he is a verified user,this guy Edmund took R12 500 of my money(i am a student).

Bid or buy somehow removed his address and his verified status. I've sent BoB an complaining email and haven't heard a word since Thursday.

If I add up all the negative ratings this guy received in the past week he took R150 000+ from bob users.

This is where my concern lies-It is ridiculous for a user to become "Verified" by just faxing a copy of your ID. Surely there has to be a interview with BoB staff to make sure it is a legit person.(Because I can use anybody's ID and become "verified")

Who do we hold responsible? And what do we do ? Open a case at the police station against someone who might not even exist or know that a account was created in their name? Why didn't BoB alert us as this HUGE Bargain Auction weekend kicked of and robbed us all.Surely this raises a flag????

Well this is my story......And it sucks that the "Biggest Online Auction and Buying" store can't protect us....

Buy again on BoB,i don't think so.....

Kind Regards

Hi Fruitloop123,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your loss.

1. The sellers address was not removed from his profile, it is still on the system.

2. You sent the email to hello@bidorbuy.co.za, they unfortunately did not get to your email yet due to the high volume of emails received.

3. The seller verification is done by a third party, LexisNexis (I-Digital), that includes a criminal check, the same procedure that was followed when you were verified.

4. There is simply no way that bidorbuy can guarantee that, even though the seller provided their documentation, the item(s) will be delivered, even if they brought in their ID document personally.

5. Having a seller that wants to be verified drive from Cape Town, for example, to Johannesburg to personally bring in his ID document is simply not feasible due to so many obvious reasons.

Everyone that bought itmes from chinacellphones and did not receive them must please send an email to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and all his details, except for his banking details which has to be subpoena'd, will be given to you to open a case of theft under false pretences at your local SAPS. bidorbuy will assist the Investigating Officer with anything he requires.

Security is busy with the matter and if no reply is received from the seller by Wednesday, claims can be sent in as per the Buyer Protection Programme.

Thank you.

Guest Guest

:shock: Just for fellow Bobbers: It's not me... ~Blinks~

Shame "Fruitloop123" I was sadly also in your shoes before..." One feels truly powerless then. I truly hope you get your money back. :worried:... Those scammers do get caught... Most of them.

Best of luck.

Edmund [1000 :smile1:]

CDS
The correct route to follow is to lay a charge of fraud, once you forward the case number to BoB, they will be more than willing to assist the police with whatever details are required. BoB will not give you the details until you have a case number.

Thanks Tananka.

Why is it that BoB does not explain these things to us and does not keep us informed? This is a massive fraud that will be getting some bad publicity, a made for Carte Blanche story. It's just a pity it may temporarily tarnish the reputation of a good business/trading platform for honest BoB sellers and buyers.

Anybody have an idea of how all the victims of Edmond Machimana can form a private group discussion on the BoB forum? How do I go about inviting them to join?

admin
Thanks Tananka.

Why is it that BoB does not explain these things to us and does not keep us informed?

Hi CDS,

If I am not mistaken, an email was sent to you on Thu, 07 Apr 2011 @ 12:29, stating "Our security team is investigating this seller, when they have the feedback they require they will be contacting all the buyers." As soon as they are ready, the buyers will be contacted, or you can do as I suggested in my previous post yesterday.

Thank you

Andries

CDS

Hi Andries. Yes that message I did get. What it could of said too is "At this stage please do this and that and follow this and that procedure...etc..."

Do you know how I could set up a private discussion group with all the victims? Thanks.

admin
Hi Andries. Yes that message I did get. What it could of said too is "At this stage please do this and that and follow this and that procedure...etc..."

Do you know how I could set up a private discussion group with all the victims? Thanks.

Unfortunately this is a security matter that is handled by the security officers so the reply you received from her is all that she could tell you as there is not much you can do but keep trying to contact the seller, as I am sure you are. She will pass on your reply to the security department when she receives it tomorrow, that is all she can do.

You can see if they are already forum members and if not, invite them through the Q&A, if they are sellers, to join the forums and then send each other PM's. Should they not be forum members, you can request hello@bidorbuy.co.za to send them an email asking them to join the forums as you want to setup a group to discuss the case.

Good luck.

CDS

Thanks Andries, you have been very helpful! Appreciated.

admin
Thanks Andries, you have been very helpful! Appreciated.

It is only a pleasure, I HATE scammers !

wayjen

We need to alert each other of scammers or potential scammers on BoB (we used to have the team running around here at night), and the BoB spy network do route out the stupid ones that make false accounts abroad to try cover their tracks so that is good news.

Guest Guest

Anybody have an idea of how all the victims of Edmond Machimana can form a private group discussion on the BoB forum? How do I go about inviting them to join?

Inviting the scammer to join? :disgusted:... Sorry...

Alas... Sadly that simply does NOT work on BOB... It give the scammer plenty of wobbly "teary" mirrors to warp the real truth and plenty of duck tape; to silence us, the BOB victims.

Sincerely, I think an arrest, open court case and prosecution would do it for all involved...

Carte Blanche would be useful if, BOB were guilty in aiding the scammer etc. or, unhelpful to you...

Best of luck again.

Edmund....:noworry: [:biggrin:]

jax007

Hi, this is not fraud however, spoke to soma lawmen and the correct term if theft under false pretense. I am also going to lay a charge, but I think we will not have impact if we all do our cases, BoB need to get involved here and lay a charge on behalf of all of us with the total amount of money scammed.