Sign in to follow this  
Griffi

Help? Living abroad...

Griffi

Hi Everyone,

I've been living in London, UK for the last 3 years.... Haven't communicated on here much since as it depressed me too much.....

Now I need help and advice....

There are certain things South African you just can't lay your hands on in London (oh, biltong, droe wors, Ouma rusks and Mrs Balls you can buy from all the "Saffas" shops.... and there are quite a few....!)

In particular, Craven A menthol cigarettes and Grandpa headache powders!

I've ordered cigarettes from an on-line company ("Afritraders") but they never arrived - instead I received a letter from the Home Office saying the goods have been seized due to non-disclosure.... brilliant! Afritraders deny all responsibility once the goods have left their premises......

Any ideas?

Thanks!

kebs

Hello there! I sent cigarettes to a friend of mine in the UK, & they went through OK.. Perhaps some-one here can make a listing for you with everything you want sent over?

Griffi

Hi,

Yes - I've received "gifts" from friends which arrived fine; but I don't want to keep imposing for "freebies" - I have a Paypal account and am, of course, perfectly prepared to pay for my goods, and other expenses. My friends refuse to accept payment - but that makes it difficult to keep asking for more.

wayjen
Hello there! I sent cigarettes to a friend of mine in the UK, & they went through OK.. Perhaps some-one here can make a listing for you with everything you want sent over?

Damn good idea that.

Griffi

I know of more "ex-pats" who will buy from a reputable source.

It is not illegal to send cigarettes, as long as regulations are complied with..... the on-line companies mostly take chances and if the goods don't arrive you are out of pocket to the amount of roughly £40 (you do the math) with no recource!

Go on BoBbers.... there's an opportunity here!

I'm not sure about medication (Grandpa's) - they used to be available in the Saffas shops, but I believe legislation was changed and you need a special licence now for pharmaceuticals; which the shops don't want to bother with....

wayjen
I know of more "ex-pats" who will buy from a reputable source.

It is not illegal to send cigarettes, as long as regulations are complied with..... the on-line companies mostly take chances and if the goods don't arrive you are out of pocket to the amount of roughly £40 (you do the math) with no recource!

Go on BoBbers.... there's an opportunity here!

I'm not sure about medication (Grandpa's) - they used to be available in the Saffas shops, but I believe legislation was changed and you need a special licence now for pharmaceuticals; which the shops don't want to bother with....

they proberly think it's THAT OTHER WHITE POWDER that some people send to their MP's. My wife lives on Grandpa's, I think I must raid her stash.

Griffi

I think if you snort Grandpa up your nose you will be in for a nasty surprise...... never tried it myself; bound to be interesting!

A lot has been said about the addictive quality of Grandpa's..... Google it - there are quite a few posts relating on the web!

I say "Nonsense!" It's just aspirin, paracetemol and caffeine!

I like it because I have a problem swallowing pills and it works super-quickly....... Disolvable Disprin does not have the same quick action!

(.....because I hate pills, I usually wait until a headache is mega and can't be ignored any more.... then I don't want to wait forever for relief!)

wayjen
I think if you snort Grandpa up your nose you will be in for a nasty surprise...... never tried it myself; bound to be interesting!

A lot has been said about the addictive quality of Grandpa's..... Google it - there are quite a few posts relating on the web!

I say "Nonsense!" It's just aspirin, paracetemol and caffeine!

I like it because I have a problem swallowing pills and it works super-quickly....... Disolvable Disprin does not have the same quick action!

(.....because I hate pills, I usually wait until a headache is mega and can't be ignored any more.... then I don't want to wait forever for relief!)

I think my wife prefers it too because of what you said.

Griffi

There is no alternative!

wayjen
There is no alternative!

I had a mouth abscess from a broken tooth and I was living on pills and they were making me sick and the only thing for me that worked was Asprins bought in the USA that we had.

wayjen

Ok can this idea work and what are the pros and cons?

Griffi

I can't see why it can't work. I've looked at the SAPO site and their prohibited items are:

Prohibited articles include:

• Bank Notes and coins
  • Arms and ammunition
  • Live animals and plants
  • Liquids
  • Narcotics
  • Jewellery and precious metals
  • Explosives
  • Perishables
  • Dangerous chemicals
  • Fragile Items

I've fired off an e-mail to SAPO's customer support asking for specific info on shipping cigarettes and headache powders, and will post their reply when I receive it.

wayjen

Nice, this could be interesting. sent you a PM.

admin

Hi All,

Just a little reminder. The Tobacco Act prohibits cigarettes from being advertised on bidorbuy.

wayjen

glad i don't smoke.

Griffi

....and so dies another great idea in infancy!

:-(

wayjen

all is not lost.

Griffi

I shall await developments with baited breath....There's always "the ashes"!

wayjen

the ashes, the ashes.