Sign in to follow this  
Cheetah10

Sellers waiting for buyers to rate first.....

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10

I often find that sellers sit back and wait for a rating from the buyer, before they commit themselves to rating the buyer...... As a rule, I do not rate a seller until the item is received..... to ensure that the item they send is the same as the listed item and for some other obvious reasons too.....

I always pay EFT immediately, notify the seller that payment was done and thanks him/her for the product....... surely then, my part of the deal is done and I can be rated....... but no!!!..... they wait, and the moment I receive the item and rate them,...... then only I receive my rating.....

I think they wait so that they can "adjust" (modify) their rating just in case they get a "not so good" response from the buyer..... I do not think this is fair.... Sellers should be prompted (compelled) to do their rating once payment was received.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

I agree with you. It is nonsense that some sellers choose not to rate until they get their rating. If the buyer has upheld his part of the deal - prompt payment without any hassles then they should rate the buyer staright away. I guess those sellers who dont do this dont have confidence in what they are sending? Makes one think?

retailrush    10
retailrush

I always rate my buyer once I have notified them of the tracking number - I'ts only fair, because as Cheetah10 says, the buyer has by then completed their part of the deal. I don't expect a rating in return from the buyer until they have received the item and are happy with it.

babyface2    10
babyface2

in agreement with all, i rate my buyers once i have sent their items, then i know the correct postage has been paid etc. sellers that do not do this is obviously not selling things they would buy for themselves due to bad quality etc.:rolleyes: makes you wonder

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I also do this, tracking number and rating at the same time, it's just so much easier to keep track of orders this way.

luckybird    10
luckybird

I take a different stand, To me the sale is only complete once the client and the seller are happy, Just because a client pays fast does not make them the best client there are times when deals do turn sour, the entire experience is important in rating not just that they pay well. Sometimes a client gives unfair rating and although its not to be used as a weapon by the seller to revenge rate it does give you some recourse as bad experience as a whole can still come down the line. Luckily for us we have had mostly great experiences but all you have to do is read the Ratings thread to see how both buyers and sellers can be unfair.

think of the logical steps say you were a sales person (which you are) you present your goods the customer says yes he will buy and he pays you, is the deal ended there(i think no) you then deliver the product shake hands and hope to do business again ratings is like that shaking of the hands figuratively.

its just good business and just good sense.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

I mentioned in a previous thread that when buying on an international auction site, I very kindly asked the seller to please do my rating as I ordered, paid immediately and that was it. I was told that a fast payment does not make a buyer a good buyer???? Thats just complete arrogance. The said website actually allows sellers to set it up so that when sellers get positive ratings from buyers, that it automatically leaves positive feedback for the buyer. If no rating or negative rating from the buyer, the seller does not rate them. This is just wrong. I stand firm that a buyers obligation is a) To make payment, b) Stick to the terms of the sale. When the buyer has done that, unless they have called or emailed and been rude or agressive, I believe that the seller should be obliged to leave positive feedback. A seller should have confidence in what they are selling to let the product and service speak for itself when they rate a buyer. If the seller sticks to his side of the bargain, highly unlikely that the buyer is going to rate negatively just for the sakes of it (yes it does happen, but not often).

I have been trying to understand the psych of sellers who do this and all I can think of is that they have doubts over whether they are providing the service and product as described and are holding back their rating so that if they rate negative in return to a buyers negative, that it wont be seen as a revenge rating.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
I agree with you. It is nonsense that some sellers choose not to rate until they get their rating. If the buyer has upheld his part of the deal - prompt payment without any hassles then they should rate the buyer staright away. ...

Nothing personal GAMU - I just chose the best explanation to my argument - I completely agree with the thread, but do you know how many buyers I have to beg, lick and polish to please, please, please just rate me or remember to rate me, weeks, even a few months after purchase, after I quickly rated them for payment? I have phoned and e-mailed some of them. They are happy with the products. Try and see it from this point why those sellers (not me), don't rate buyers until the buyers rate them. It's extremely frustrating.

Marionet    10
Marionet

Reluctance to rate seems to correspond with questionable quality of goods sold.

Edited by Marionet

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I am not going to get angry anymore. If you ever actually implied I sell sub standard goods, so be it. I will never do such a thing, my items are of highest quality I do not sell that Chi##se cr#p that people smear off on you. I am an honorable seller. As I've said, they are happy with the stuff, but also just too darn lazy to rate sellers, coz they mos have the item now so why bother

retailrush    10
retailrush

@ Marionet - I am sure your comment has merit in some cases... However, I have a pile of un-rated sales dating right back to April last year and I have just done a little investigation to see if I could see a trend as to why these buyers did not rate me, (you got me worried in case they were perhaps not happy with what they bought from me). These are my finding...

The majority of them were new buyers at the time and have not bought anything from anyone else since - hence they don't seem to spend time on the site and are probably less likely in that case to take time to rate me.

Some of them just don't rate anyone - they have plenty of ratings from the sellers, but don't reciprocate.

And the minority just didn't rate (even after a reminder to do so) - maybe they weren't happy - I will never know.

I ask my buyers to rate me once they have received their parcel and are happy with their purchase. If I don't receive a rating within 2 months, then I send a friendly reminder. If I still don't get a rating then I just forget about it - life's too short and if they are too busy then I am not going to beg!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
@ Marionet - I am sure your comment has merit in some cases... However, I have a pile of un-rated sales dating right back to April last year and I have just done a little investigation to see if I could see a trend as to why these buyers did not rate me, (you got me worried in case they were perhaps not happy with what they bought from me). These are my finding...

The majority of them were new buyers at the time and have not bought anything from anyone else since - hence they don't seem to spend time on the site and are probably less likely in that case to take time to rate me.

Some of them just don't rate anyone - they have plenty of ratings from the sellers, but don't reciprocate.

And the minority just didn't rate (even after a reminder to do so) - maybe they weren't happy - I will never know.

I ask my buyers to rate me once they have received their parcel and are happy with their purchase. If I don't receive a rating within 2 months, then I send a friendly reminder. If I still don't get a rating then I just forget about it - life's too short and if they are too busy then I am not going to beg!

I have seen a similar trend with buyers not rating.

Marionet    10
Marionet

@icey - I really did not try to offend you or anyone in particular.

I had a negative experience with a seller who fails to rate buyers up to 20 days after payment and then when the buyer gives a neutral rating expressing concern about the seller that fails to do ratings, the buyer immediately gets a negative rating for "blackmailing" sellers to rate them! To my mind sellers like these are withholding their ratings of the buyers to use it as a weapon (revenge) if the rating from the buyer is not to their liking.

A bit of further investigation revealed that there is a common link between sellers withholding ratings and complaints by their customers about the quality of products.

Come to think of it, the whole rating system is primarily there to assist sellers. It does not serve any purpose if buyers are afraid to give honest ratings in fear of revenge by the sellers.

Edited by Marionet

Marionet    10
Marionet

@retailrush & GAMU trading: As a buyer I understand your frustration. One is proud of your work, and a bit of recognition is not too much to ask.

At the other side of the coin, buyers are also proud of their ratings and also like recognition. It is just as frustrating to me if I pay promptly and receive no rating.

Though I appreciate it can be of more importance to a seller.

Marionet    10
Marionet

There should be a "like" button on these forums.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

A buyer once told me that they don't rate because they didn't really know what it was for.

Many buyers, especially the new ones don't understand that ratings are coupled to reputation and so they just don't rate because they don't see the point.

ziggy2000    10
ziggy2000

I also rate as soon as payment comes through, but if buyers do not rate me, I don't worry too much about it, some just could not be bothered or do not have the time to do so.

Cheetah10    10
Cheetah10

I just hate giving negative and/or neutral ratings and will rather refrain and/or omit than doing negatives..... (even had a guy who listed a whole box of fish medicines and a pot luck of other fish related items.....(I breed tropical fish) He sent me a box full of either empty bottles and non working heaters and pumps.... I just did not rate the guy..... his gimmick paid off - thank goodness, I see he is not active anymore to fool more ppl.....

I currently have 2 sellers who have not rated me yet (allthough my payment and notification was done at 1am in the morning).... I've now taken the stance that I'm not going to rate them, (even if I receive the goods in perfect order) until I get a rating from them...... My job was done (paying them) and that is all I'm obliged to do in this contract...... The ball is in their court.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I also rate as soon as payment comes through, but if buyers do not rate me, I don't worry too much about it, some just could not be bothered or do not have the time to do so.

My approach and attitude exactly, Ziggy!!

Marionet    10
Marionet

@Cheetah, I agree.

Until BOB is reconsiders and changes the rules - I am going to take the same stance: no rating by the buyer until rated by the seller.

It is not worth loosing sleep over a retaliating seller on an item of less than R100.

Edited by Marionet

Jedeye    10
Jedeye

What's the point? A buyer or a seller could vote you positive, then later change it, many times over, to whatever they are feeling at that moment. It's like verbal ping pong on occasion.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
What's the point? A buyer or a seller could vote you positive, then later change it, many times over, to whatever they are feeling at that moment. It's like verbal ping pong on occasion.

You do have the right to appeal unfair / revenge ratings. hello@bidorbuy.co.za

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Jedeye

Welcome to the forum, I haven't seen you here before.

As GAMU Trading says, you have the right to appeal, ratings are not there as a game and anybody playing games with them should be reported immediately.

BoB will be able to see what has happened and will more than likely remove the rating for you, when you appeal, also attach all the correspondence you've had with the seller so that they can see what has been happening - it strengthens your case.

BoB is very fair regarding ratings, they look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Carel_Electronics    10
Carel_Electronics

I have exactly the same problem. Some sellers wait for you to rate them first and the minute you rate them negative, they will rate you negative too just for the reason that you rated them not-so-good in the first place. This is one area that I think needs improvement in BoBs rating systems. Some sellers work like that, he rates you the way you rate them. I once had an awful experience buying from Danking. He usually don't reply to e-mails and when I rated him bad, he filed a SNC against me and then he rated me bad too - just because I rated him bad. I won an auction and then I mailed him several times and almost a week later {after sending him 4 e-mails} I couldn't get hold of him at all, not even by Telephone. So, I rated him bad for communication - this is annoying, very annoying. He then cancelled the sale, rated me negative and then he said I've sent those e-mails 2 minutes apart. I then took a screenshot of my Gmail and showed him he's lying which after he obviously didn't Reply. The best part of it all was I received several threats from him less than one minute after rating him. The rating system of BoB needs a better strategy, because some sellers/buyers abuse it and give poor ratings just because you rated them bad. In my opinion - if I had a bad experience, then I have the right to say it!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
I have exactly the same problem. Some sellers wait for you to rate them first and the minute you rate them negative, they will rate you negative too just for the reason that you rated them not-so-good in the first place. This is one area that I think needs improvement in BoBs rating systems. Some sellers work like that, he rates you the way you rate them. I once had an awful experience buying from Danking. He usually don't reply to e-mails and when I rated him bad, he filed a SNC against me and then he rated me bad too - just because I rated him bad. I won an auction and then I mailed him several times and almost a week later {after sending him 4 e-mails} I couldn't get hold of him at all, not even by Telephone. So, I rated him bad for communication - this is annoying, very annoying. He then cancelled the sale, rated me negative and then he said I've sent those e-mails 2 minutes apart. I then took a screenshot of my Gmail and showed him he's lying which after he obviously didn't Reply. The best part of it all was I received several threats from him less than one minute after rating him. The rating system of BoB needs a better strategy, because some sellers/buyers abuse it and give poor ratings just because you rated them bad. In my opinion - if I had a bad experience, then I have the right to say it!

You may be interested in this thread ref Danking - http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/community-chat-forum/13846-can-anyone-tell-me.html