Sign in to follow this  
Guest MacMuffin

Consumer Protection Act - how are you going to change your business?

KMartin

The Act : http://www.dti.gov.za/ccrd/cpact09.pdf

look at section 18 point 3. For those who don't want to read in summery as i understand says, if you agree to purchase something online just by reading about the item, no "cool off " time is needed to be given as long as full details are given about the item.

OomFlik
The Act : http://www.dti.gov.za/ccrd/cpact09.pdf

look at section 18 point 3. For those who don't want to read in summery as i understand says, if you agree to purchase something online just by reading about the item, no "cool off " time is needed to be given as long as full details are given about the item.

I agree with you, but the law does make a distinct difference between Online buying and Online Auctions. According to the act there is a BOG differance

lilythepink

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will ever tie up all the loose ends without matters getting to Court and decisions being made there? Seems there are many, many loopholes in this Act, i.e. one reads one section which doesn't marry up with another and just causes confusion. A good lawyer would be able to argue successfully for a defendant if a buyer (plaintiff) ever decides to sue. And I'm sure on most of our auctions no buyer would waste extreme funds pursuing the legal route! Just my 10 cents worth again ...!

KMartin

The Act

I think the Act itself is against itself....

How can you expect to have people abide by a law like " my be in plain text " if the act itself is not ?

i guess we will only know full rules and details once people start enforcing it and it go's to court.

Seeds for Africa

Are Buyers able to delete bids now?

I may be a bit slow here, but are buyers now able to delete bids they had placed? I had a few bids earlier which have dissapeared?

Thanks

Not1CentMore

I am curious about that one too.

Also, I have a (possible) buyer who insists there is a buy now option on one of my auctions. I have looked and looked and I cannot seem to figure out where it is in the edit section of the auction. Via Q&A: Buy now how much with tax and duty and postage. (answered)

UPDATED: 13 May 16:25

You still did not give me the buy now price. (answered this is auction...you bid and when auction closes, if you have winning bid, you win the auction)

UPDATED: 13 May 16:36

I am aware that this is an auction. There is a buy now option that you can list too

I am so confused....not a good thing when you are on the 'downside' of the 'hill'.

Thanks.

qball

Buyers cannot simply delete their bids. Usually if bids are deleted it's due to bidorbuy intervention. However, please be aware that the bidder is now allowed to ask to have their bid removed as per the CPA, and the seller will have to remove the bid. Alternatively if requested by the bidder, bidorbuy will have to remove the bid.

qball
I am curious about that one too.

Also, I have a (possible) buyer who insists there is a buy now option on one of my auctions. I have looked and looked and I cannot seem to figure out where it is in the edit section of the auction. Via Q&A: Buy now how much with tax and duty and postage. (answered)

UPDATED: 13 May 16:25

You still did not give me the buy now price. (answered this is auction...you bid and when auction closes, if you have winning bid, you win the auction)

UPDATED: 13 May 16:36

I am aware that this is an auction. There is a buy now option that you can list too

I am so confused....not a good thing when you are on the 'downside' of the 'hill'.

Thanks.

Perhaps the potential buyer wants to purchase out right using a Buy Now. You would have to create one for him, if you stock and let him know via the Q&A.

Little Miss Muffet

I think he is simply asking whether you will accept a "Buy now" price. If he bids will you close the auction or change the item to a "Buy now" at a price you are happy with.

Goodness Cuan must have been answering the same time as I did.He beat me to it.

Edited by geewhizz

Not1CentMore

Gotta love it when great minds think alike....at the same time. Thanks to BOTH of you.

wayjen
Buyers cannot simply delete their bids. Usually if bids are deleted it's due to bidorbuy intervention. However, please be aware that the bidder is now allowed to ask to have their bid removed as per the CPA, and the seller will have to remove the bid. Alternatively if requested by the bidder, bidorbuy will have to remove the bid.

Not sure I understand this post.

As per the CPA, the bidder cannot ask to have their bids deleted but they can ask BoB, so that means there is a clause within the CPA that deals with this issue?

admin
Not sure I understand this post.

As per the CPA, the bidder cannot ask to have their bids deleted but they can ask BoB, so that means there is a clause within the CPA that deals with this issue?

Hi Wayne,

As per the CPA the bidder has the right to withdraw his bid, they can do that by either asking the seller through the Q&A or by sending an email to bidorbuy requesting the bid to be deleted.

Seeds for Africa
Hi Wayne,

As per the CPA the bidder has the right to withdraw his bid, they can do that by either asking the seller through the Q&A or by sending an email to bidorbuy requesting the bid to be deleted.

Okay. Can someone tell me what happenned with the bids that were placed on my items that were deleted?

admin
Okay. Can someone tell me what happenned with the bids that were placed on my items that were deleted?

Please give me an item number.

Seeds for Africa
Please give me an item number.

I cant, as the bids are no longer there and cant remember what the buyer was bidding on:sad2:

Seeds for Africa

Hi. Thats fully understood. However when a bid is deleted or removed, can Bob kindly advise the seller and tell them why this has been done. I guess it would be quite simple to do this as an automatic notification.

Thanks

Grant

qball

The bidder was jolenevd - she sent an email request to have her bids removed. Unfortunately we have to comply with the Act.

Seeds for Africa
The bidder was jolenevd - she sent an email request to have her bids removed. Unfortunately we have to comply with the Act.

Thanks Cuan. I do understand, was just a bit confused. Interestingly, I see the buyer has been blacklisted?

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI GRANT

Looks like bob saved you a snc anyway-I do not have any problem with deleting bids but it must be a reasonable request and not 10 minutes before closing time-This could then cost you plenty if your bid increment is R100 or HIGHER and the bid is withdrawn shortly before close of auction,thus not allowing other parties to rebid or rekindle their interest in the item.I would then say smaller bid increments of R5 or so would be the way to go to negate any loss on late bid withdrawals-Also if any buyer has two accounts they may be able to manipulate prices on auctions?

NEIL

wayjen

Thanks guys.

Now can someone tell me if the words "binding contract" are still on BoB if someone bids on an item?

qball
Thanks guys.

Now can someone tell me if the words "binding contract" are still on BoB if someone bids on an item?

Yes, if they are the winner of the auction!

qball
Thanks Cuan. I do understand, was just a bit confused. Interestingly, I see the buyer has been blacklisted?

We will look at an email to alert the sellers. Sellers cannot refuse to remove the bid. Bidder was blacklisted as they asked for the account to be closed.

wayjen

thanks Cuan.

kebs

If you have some-one who then repeatedly asks for their bids to be deleted, can you block them?

lilythepink
If you have some-one who then repeatedly asks for their bids to be deleted, can you block them?

I think this would be appropriate if it happens more than once by the same buyer! They mustn't waste sellers' time and money in placing listings.

However, I will never hesitate to remove a bid if requested to do so by a potential buyer - if they don't want the item for whatever reason, I'd rather relist and let someone else have it than have problems with non-payment, filing of a SNC, etc.