Sign in to follow this  
SProducts

Need help on gmail

SProducts

I use gmail for my emails and all my emails comes through to my gmail account. I noticed within the past few works that when I open an email I find out it has sent an email to the sender confirming I have read the message. Not sure but this also happens before I have even read the emails.

The problem here is that buyers send an email and get a note I have read the email and then send another email and they start complaining and saying bad things like I am avoiding them. By the time I read the email I have lots of emails from the same buyer. I have had one even reporting me to BoB that I am ignoring their emails and I have read them.

Its really irritating, I can open the email, read it and then close it and prepare for a respond. Sometimes I might need to confirm things with other people or anyone.

Anyone using gmail, please help how can that off. I went through the settings and couldnt find the option to turn sending read receipt off.

LikeNeedWant

From the GMail Help section:

Gmail doesn't support delivery or read receipts, so it's coming from something else connected to your account. Typically, it's a phone. But you'll have to poke around until you find what's doing it.

You might check Settings->Forwarding and Settings->Filters to see if anything is setup to send messages someplace that might be sending back the receipts.

Are you using your GMail account on a standalone email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, eM Client, etc.) and/or accessing it via your mobile?

SProducts

Thats weird then. I am using gmail on a web browser, internet explorer. I do have the gmail mobile app on my phone, but I dont use it. I have emails from a different domain that also comes through to gmail, but even mails sent directly to my gmail they send read receipts and so it has to be gmail.

The filter is empty and there is no auto-responder enabled also.

Below is teh example of the mail sent.

fromSipho Radebe

reply-toxxxx@gmail.com

toXXXXXX

dateSat, Mar 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM

subjectDelivered: What is your fax number?

mailed-bygmail.com

Your message was delivered to the recipient

LikeNeedWant

That is a delivery report, not a read receipt. A delivery report merely tells the sender that their email was successfully delivered, NOT read (unfortunately some people don't understand the difference, which explains why you have some buyers getting upset). As such there isn't anything you can do as a delivery report is handled by the clients email programme, not GMail. You can point this out to the buyers when they report you, or send you snarky emails, but...

Why not set up an auto-responder to send an email acknowledging receipt and that you will respond within x days, and reminding the sender(s) that any report they receive is merely a delivery report and in no way indicates that you have actually read the email at this time.

3 Handy Uses for Gmail's Canned Responses Feature: Online Collaboration «

Gmail Autoresponder

SProducts

I finally figured it out and have sorted out. It appears that the problem was Blackberry, my Blackberry was set to send delivery requests. I disabled it on the Blackberry and hopefully now it wont happen anymore.

LikeNeedWant

Glad to hear you came right!