Sign in to follow this  
brentpp

Excessive Postage is this ethical?

brentpp    10
brentpp

How can someone justify R170.09 for postage on 16 small AAA batteries? from Durban to East London I post a lot of parcels and this should be around R20

Is a seller allowed to make His / Her business a postage one?

Is it ethical and how does B or B view this kind of behavior?

Some comments please:twisted:

wayjen    10
wayjen

There are a few threads doing the rounds about this type of thing and without me searching for them I seem to think you can report them to BoB.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
How can someone justify R170.09 for postage on 16 small AAA batteries? from Durban to East London I post a lot of parcels and this should be around R20

Is a seller allowed to make His / Her business a postage one?

Is it ethical and how does B or B view this kind of behavior?

Some comments please:twisted:

Hi

No, it's totally unethical, however, having said that, it is incumbent upon the buyer to ensure that before he bids / buys that he accepts the postage terms.

The best thing would be to avoid a seller who does this. Strictly speaking bob does not allow sellers to overcharge on postage, and it has been mentioned that sellers are charged a penalty for overcharging on shipping. I have however asked for an example of when the last seller was levied with such a penalty, and i have never been told.

At the end of the day... avoid a seller where you are not comfortable with the shipping charges.

Grant

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

ALL potential buyers should report excessive postage costs to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za BEFORE placing a bid!

Once a buyer has placed a bid, he's committed himself to paying the outrageous postage!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

This seems to be a "holy cow" seller on BoB, unfortunately!

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
This seems to be a "holy cow" seller on BoB, unfortunately!

That is just wrong on every level. Bob.... please can you put a stop to this!!!

This postage alone is the price of a new computer bought within South Africa.

Hi you-all...

We as buyers get whipped for not reading everything... Hang me! Who would expect to pay R3500.00 postage?! I beg you!!

Thousands of unwary people get conned big time. But no, if you bid, although the seller conn's you - you must shut up and pay. A person who believes that the postage for a simple laptop computer from anywhere in the world will cost you R3500 is not only gullible, they must be plainly put; simple-minded... or, an undercover bloody scammer too! Think about that one.

If I see that your shop is less than 265km from me (In this case it's a fact - this shop is 262km from our house.) and I see a "bargain" closing in 4 minutes, bring me the person who would EXPECT to pay R3500 for that item. Their defence?:"Rules are rules dude... We outsmarted you with a lot of sly tactics. Pay up or get blacklisted!"

Wonder what SARS get from the real deal... Let's see... Make it 4000 deals... 4000 x R1 sales + R180 postage (Far less than R3500...) OK, Taxman and BOB get their slice from R4000.

Post Office get their slice from R720 000.00... The rest of it goes to BOB's uncle...

It's about honesty, trust and goodwill. Alas...

PS O yes, you get verified deceivers to... I'm really not talking about the BOB verified ones.

Edited by Edmund1000
PS

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

17 April 2011:

StorminaTcup (4348 rating5.gif) verifieduser.gif Located in Port Elizabeth Postage Charges:

Shipping and handling charge of R290 per item won.

Please allow 3-4 weeks shipping. No combined shipping.

• REGULAR INTERNATIONAL SAVER (3 to 5 weeks inbound, insured, w/tracking, domestic redirection)R290.00 for each item

• PLATINUM INTERNATIONAL INBOUND (3 to 4 weeks inbound, Registered)R390.00 for each item

Inbound? PLATINUM? LOL? Indeed...

This seller "blaclisted" me because I complained to BOB; they charged me R290 for an R101, less than ONE gram ring - posted from PE to me - less than 3 hours drive? (LOL! Yes!)

BOB warned them in the forums... They still sell at those same rates. Months later.

Edited by Edmund1000
Grammer...

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Please delete - posted in wrong thread - sorry BOB!

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Excessive postage isn't going to go away, but I will give actual figures so all can do their own sums:

I bought some items (221 items) in from the UK. I paid $203.97 Express Mail - R1376.80 and customs charged me R1821.00 This is a total of R3197.80 for 221 items which = R14.47 per items extra for shipping. My clearing agent charged me R250.00. All costs taken into account, additional cost per item is max R15.60 per item. Worst case R20.00 per item. Why do others have to charge up to R290.00 per item. My documents are available to BoB to prove this point. There is also no such thing as regular international and platinmun international. Goodness, who devised this wording and shipping options?

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
Excessive postage isn't going to go away, but I will give actual figures so all can do their own sums:

I bought some items (221 items)

[1] All costs taken into account, additional cost per item is max R15.60 per item. Worst case R20.00 per item.

[2] Why do others have to charge up to R290.00 per item. My documents are available to BoB to prove this point.

[3] There is also no such thing as regular international and platinmun international. Goodness, who devised this wording and shipping options?

[1] 221 items at R290 postage per item = R64 090.00 (Cost of postage alone.)

[2] Fraud.

[3] I said the same... What's next? Golden cup airways? LOL...

Lastly: Let's give everything away for free!

OK, we know that the import costs etc. is added to the price of the item... Let's anyway deduct that R4420 and also another R9000 for postage to clients... Deduct it from your income recieved from "postage" fees... Which is: R64 090.00

Your profit from postage alone? R50 670.00 And to think you gave everything away for "free..."

One cannot fool everybody. Only most.

PS Can you spot a honest seller..? Hint: Please look at the Shipping & Other Charges...

h Crazzzzy_R1_Start_auction - Item selling price: R5100.00 .html

h_Crazzzzy_R1_Start_auction - Item selling price: R91.00 .html

Edited by Edmund1000
PS

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Like I said, this seller is a "holy cow". I just wish BoB would do the right thing ...!!

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
Like I said, this seller is a "holy cow". I just wish BoB would do the right thing ...!!

Promise?! Oooo-ooo.... Starting to get sweet shakes again...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

We'll all have milkshake if BoB does the right thing! (I choose banana!) LOL

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
We'll all have milkshake if BoB does the right thing! (I choose banana!) LOL

Shake it now...! One Bad-ass, double thick Vanilla milkshake please? (Also called: A "Donkey in the drink special")

qball    11
qball
HP - was sold for R3,350.00 by StorminaTcup in Port Elizabeth (ID:26879139)

Laptop postage?: About R200 you may say... Postage is R3500 to anywhere in RSA...

Look at their current postage fees... Nothing has changed.

Please look at the date of this listing! The seller has reduced their shipping considerably and has provided us with a detailed breakdown of their costs almost to the cent. I would appreciate it if you would not report old, out dated listing to us, it just wastes our time and resources going over the same issues after they have been addressed.

Thank you!

qball    11
qball

I would also recommend that you invite the seller here to give his side too... if not, I will be closing this thread down.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
I would also recommend that you invite the seller here to give his side too... if not, I will be closing this thread down.

Fantastic! I agree 1000% with you!

Firstly: Thank you for opening the thread again - I shall surely comply to your rules - if I miss one, please ask me to correct it or simply delete the post please. Please apply that rule rather than to close this train of thought.

This I believe will be a fantastic opportunity to see our side as 100% honest and Verified buyers of Bob. Nobody asked all the questions... I think there are a few very unexpected ones in wait...

Cuan, I asked this seller to join but, they have blacklisted me in all forms... I cannot bid on anything... I cannot even ask a question to them.

Please see:

**DIRECT IMPORT!**STRIKING CZ DIAMONDS&SAPPHIRE SET IN 18K YELLOW GOLD GP SIZE

You are not permitted to ask this seller questions

ic_ask.gif Ask StorminaTcup ← Back to item 35521233

My request to them:

Hi

Please join a thread where we would like to have answers firsthand from you please. The link: http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/shipping-post-office-courier-issues/13204-excessive-postage-ethical.html Thank you Edmund1000

Let's work together to make BOB richer... How? The less we pay for postage and the more an item cost means; higher fees paid to you! Think about it...

I thank you.

Edmund....

qball    11
qball

Hi Edmund

Unfortunately this matter has been discussed ad nauseam regarding this seller. The seller has supplied us with the necessary details and has co-operated with our requests in the past and has made an effort to reduce the charges in accordance with what we have requested. The problem is, people dredge up really old transactions or listings that were closed before this matter was attended to, we can't go back and fix those as they have already happened, what is important is that they have already amended their fees, the prices are displayed to you and you can make up your own mind if you wish to pay that price for shipping. The extra charges come in from them expediting the local leg of the shipping, thus getting the item to you more quickly, a cost which they have factored in - so essentially you are paying for a quicker delivery locally. Some have asked about the drop shipping issue and we are looking into this.

Thanks

Cuan

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I only saw your new letter below now! I'll read it now - OK.

Please look at the date of this listing! I would appreciate it if you would not report old, out dated listing to us, it just wastes our time and resources going over the same issues after they have been addressed.

Thank you!

You are clearly very agitated there... Tough job - hope they pay you good!

Non of the questions I DV shall present will be wilfully confrontational nor, to put a person in a bad light.

Cuan, you say that I must look at the date... I did.

[1] Now, if I killed a person a year ago - will I be prosecuted in a court of law? Sure!

[2] If I deprived you by deceit, amounting to total of R2000 a year ago and you can proof it today, Can I laugh in your face and say "Sue me Cuan!" I shall surely regret that arrogant words! You agree?

[3] If I stole your wallet a year ago and took R50,60 and you have 100% proof of that act..., Can I laugh in your face and say "Sue me Cuan!" I shall surely regret that arrogant words! You agree?

I'm not reporting anything about what happened and was sorted out... What was is still the same. I am saying is that "a reactor is still burning." People got burned...

PS Amended postage 4/2011: Other Rings - **DIRECT IMPORT!**STRIKING CZ DIAMONDS&SAPPHIRE SET IN 18K YELLOW GOLD GP SIZE 7 for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:35521233) (genuine 18kt gold is plated over a special jeweler's brass,)

Edited by Edmund1000
I only saw your new letter below now! I'll read it now - OK. + PS

qball    11
qball

Hi Edmund

I am afraid, if you look at the listing the buyer was blacklisted, no payment was made. Whilst you may have a valid argument, we are not talking about killing people (a little extreme). The issue is - it was advertised as R3500 in the listing in black and white - no one was fooled or tempted into thinking that there were any other charges - that was the price - if you wanted the item, that was the shipping cost - probably not the right thing to do, but it was clear from the outset what the cost was - just like your R290 - it was advertised, by buying the item you agreed to that charge. The ethical argument is very grey, as the seller has his side of the story, just like sellers who defend themselves on the forum about their time, packaging costs, standing in queues, fuel etc. The other issue I have is that there have been other threads open on this topic, so yes, it gets a little tiresome to respond to multiple threads on the same issue over and over again. It's also not as clear cut as you make it out to be, it never is, I can assure you. There's your version, the sellers version and then the truth, all of which can sometimes be very difficult to shift blame. What was is not still... The seller has reduced their costs, in accordance with our requests, we try to get the seller to co-operate first, if that doesn't work, then we "shoot to kill" and ask questions after.

So you will have to forgive me for being agitated - it does become quite monotonous and pain staking to continually address these issues. I am not aware of many other companies who engage is this much dialogue with their customers - so sometimes we are allowed to have a bad day on the odd occasion:angel:.

Kind regards

Cuan

admin    0
admin
then we "shoot to kill" and ask questions after.

You called Sire ? :ninja: