Sign in to follow this  
voldermort

Telkom Technical Support

voldermort

has anybody else who is using Telkom ADSL received an email asking you to download a Technical Support Tool..................just a bit hesitant in case its not authentic and trying to phone Telkom to query this could take forever?

wayjen

just leave it for now if you worried. Did you sort out that other telkom business yet?

voldermort

going to do that monday.......was the last day of varsity today and next week is a holiday so will be doing that plus a lot of other things which have just gone onto the back burner this month

MacMuffin

Although the email is authentic I would not download and install it. I am failing to get the point, why a support tool should help. ADSL works or it doesn't - you never know what other junk will install with the download.

voldermort
Although the email is authentic I would not download and install it. I am failing to get the point, why a support tool should help. ADSL works or it doesn't - you never know what other junk will install with the download.

more or less what i was thinking as well...part of the message reads thus:

Dear TelkomInternet customers

Telkom, in its continuous drive to improve technical support, introduces the new doBroadband Support Plus tool. This user-friendly, easy to use, self-help tool is designed to assist users with the setup of TelkomInternet accountsand to resolve network connectivity problems.

The tool can analyse and resolve personal computer, gateway and internet connectivity issues. It will provide unique error messages that can be quoted to helpdesk personnel to speed up calls for technical support.

To use the tool, simply download and store somewhere on your personal computer or laptop. No installation is required

it seems to me to be more a tool designed to make the telkom operators life a bit more easier by giving specific error messages rather than anything else :thinking: i think i'll give this one a miss

thanks Mac

lilythepink

I also got this email and have deleted it. And there was another email from Telkom about charges to do with ADSL megabytes downloaded. I didn't understand that email either! Are they now trying to get us to re-arrange our 5 gigs (to which they upgraded us some months back?) I wish they could realise that not all of us are computer boffins!!

Voldermort - did you also get this email from Telkom, the one about the megabytes and charges? Can anyone put meaning to it?

voldermort

yes lily i did & i deleted it as it makes absolutely no sense at all to me................wayne also mentioned the extra 5 gigs that we were apparently upgraded to, somehow they seem to have missed me completely therefore monday im going into the offices with a bad attitude. speaking to wayne over the weekend there is apparently a 9 gig bundle for + - R500 and i in the meantime am paying over R800 for 7 gigs which i get charged per gig for.....doesnt seem quite right to me :mad: my mood with telkom is already set :evil:

lilythepink
yes lily i did & i deleted it as it makes absolutely no sense at all to me................wayne also mentioned the extra 5 gigs that we were apparently upgraded to, somehow they seem to have missed me completely therefore monday im going into the offices with a bad attitude. speaking to wayne over the weekend there is apparently a 9 gig bundle for + - R500 and i in the meantime am paying over R800 for 7 gigs which i get charged per gig for.....doesnt seem quite right to me :mad: my mood with telkom is already set :evil:

With VAT I am paying about R450 per month (depending on the number of telephone calls I make during business hours - after hours calls are free) on the Closer 2 option with Telkom and getting 5 gigs on ADSL which is more than adequate for my needs.

voldermort

the bundle i am referring to is the winston edition @ R554 pm for 9 gigs, for some unearthly reason they have me on do broadband 1 and never ever thought to enlighten me about the other bundles that have cropped up since :evil: much more beneficial to keep me paying R810 pm for 7 gigs................and that price is without any telephone calls at all. the line i use for incoming/outgoing calls is a completely seperate line.

lilythepink

I think you are being ripped off, voldermort! It happened to me, too, until last year when a friend from Cape Town was with us for the Grahamstown Festival and had to pay her telephone account which she'd brought with her - I then learnt I could be paying Telkom half the price and getting exactly what I was using at half the price.

Hellkom do NOT look after the customers properly. Short and simple! Hope you'll be going in to get your monthly charges reduced a.s.a.p. I wonder how many people they have paying double what they need to?