Sign in to follow this  
Dumble

Hydrothermal Gems

Lukeness

Perhaps a way to 'filter' sellers would be to ask them directly if they prescribe to the guidelines.

If they claim to, but fail to, then you have a better chance of presenting a case to BoB.

AND if they do not, it leaves serious questions for them to answer as to their reasoning and will perhaps motivate them to do so from then on...

motherearth

Buyers, have to use their own common sense when buying Amethyst and Citrine online. The sellers know it is hydrothermal, but they also know it is almost impossible to test!!

Luke,Brian,Myself and others have previously stated that 99.99% of all such stones being sold are hydrothermal, this knowledge comes from knowing that stones this colour just do not occur naturally in any quantitiy, and if you are lucky enough to find one, it will cost a small fortune

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/9423758/CERTIFIED_42_35ct_LOUPE_CLEAN_CUSHION_MADEIRA_GOLD_CITRINE.html

this is very interesting!! ,

QUOTE - *Seller is not aware of any treatment applied to this gemstone and cannot guarantee that no treatment was applied to this gemstone.*

yet directly underneath - the seller claims that this stone was tested and appraised by a GIA gemologist!!

Now if anyone can make sense of that, please let me know!!

regards Jeff

Lukeness

Amazing colour that...

I really think buyers should start using the äsk the seller a question"feature on BoB more.

Get sellers to commit to claims OR clear things up.

Maybe if this happens enough some sellers will realise it's easier to be upfront.

ayuaussie01

created gems are not good for investment, as they tend to sell (1 carat) for $99 Australian in 9 carat gold in stored like in budget jewlers across south Australia and some as low as $50 i have seen and if your having trouble with finacial problems in the future no jewler will buy them, as

jewlers only buy natural stones, which would mean sites like ebay still then you will only get a very small amount and never your money back.

i say buy natural stones it is better for value :D

motherearth

the cheap jewelry sold in Australia is worth nothing because you pay nothing for it, 9K gold only contains 37.5% of actual gold! , so it is little wonder that when you try and sell it later, it has no value!! Stones of any value will always be set in 18K gold, which contains 75% pure gold!

spinel

Hi ayuaussie01,

I agree - natural stones only. But consider this ....

For every carat of diamonds a large hole is dug into the earth.

For some, synthetic or diamond simulants are preferable cause it's just so "green" not to disturb the environment.

One day, we all going to be "green" and de beers will only sell fakes !!

(maybe not)

motherearth
alloway65

Hi Jeff,

Its scary, I am sure I bought quite a lot of Hydrothermals earlier on in my gemstone buying career...even though I asked sellers to confirm they were not "man made", I was always told " they are guaranteed natural stones". The sellers only reiterated what their suppliers told them.....sometimes the seller possibly did not know what Hydrothermal was!!!

We won the cricket.....just!!!!

David