Sign in to follow this  
Dumble

Hydrothermal Gems

Dumble    10
Dumble

Hello all you Experts

After reading about Rubies in the discussions I came across the word "Hydrothermal". Being a novice gem collector (I buy them 'cos they look pretty, started collecting 3 weeks ago) I didn't realize that when it states: Treatment - Hydrothermal, meant that the stone was Lab created. I thought Treatment was what they did to a mined stone! Silly me. I bet a lot of people have bought stones not knowing this. Are my Hydrothermal stones worth anything?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=9160321

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=9160365

:cry:

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

It would have been far better to state man-made as this would be much clearer.

The biggest problem is that almost all quarts available is hydrothermally produced so values are not that high all around. Especially since it's so difficult to separate the genuine from the lab material.

I'm sure they're worth at least what you paid for them. There are always people keen for such large stones.

Dumble    10
Dumble

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll use them as paperweights! They are very pretty though :)

bob admin    1
bob admin

Sorry to jump in here guys, but they would make beautiful necklaces.

Dumble    10
Dumble

I can always tell people they are real :wink:

bob admin    1
bob admin

:lol: :lol: And fool many people, me included, have no knowledge of gemstones. :oops:

Dumble    10
Dumble

@ AndriesMarais

Don't you have Gem Stones for Dummies?

bob admin    1
bob admin

lol, working on it :wink:

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

Hi All

Luke, do you agree with me that these gems - hydrothermal - should be in the Lab created category? After all they are synthetic. This case here has highlighted that innocent buyers could be duped in to buying what they think is a real stone when it is lab created. Yes, some hydrothermal stones are beautiful but the buyer should know what he/ she is investing in.

Regards

Brian

Dumble    10
Dumble

@ Gems Direct

If I didn't read the Forum I would have thought I bought a "real" gem. Which is what I thought when I bought it!

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

Hi Dumbeldhor,

Well it is refreshing to see that you are taking this revelation with a pinch of salt. :wink: I think these stones should definately be in LAB CREATED so as to conform with the gemstone guidelines. I am sure that Cuan and Morne will come to a decision and make a ruling in this matter.

Great to have you on the forum.

Regards

Brian

Dumble    10
Dumble

I bought them 'cos they are pretty (and big) but I think people should know what they are buying. Maybe my investment R200 will be R250 in a few months :P At least if I try and sell them on BoB I will tell the truth! maybe :)

Dumble    10
Dumble

Hey Brian

I am still waiting for my gems from you :D

Hopefully you won't disappoint me!

Are your stones "real"!

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

Hey Debbie

Took me a while to click that it was you :wink: Mine are genuine and I am sure that you will be happy. PS - tracking number correct and all...lol..

Regards

Brian

Dumble    10
Dumble

You have some nice stuff...I will buy again from you when I have sum mor money, next month. Can't you advise me on what to buy as an investment? I am new to this!

Celebrity Jewels    10
Celebrity Jewels

Hi Debbie

I would prefer to do this by email and am sure that Luke, Jeff and Gemdeals will be happy to do so as well.

Most definately any 1cts or above flawless white diamonds for 1 Rand would be great :D

motherearth    10
motherearth

the problem with the stones mentioned is that they were sold as natural!!, so as far as the powers that be are concerned, they would have been listed in the correct category!!.... even though they are blatantly Hydrothermal!

however, the item below from the same seller, should have been listed in the synthetic category, and the word SYNTHETIC, should have been used in the title!! , very misleading!

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/9313588/Sapphire_14_99ct_Bright_Neon_Pink_Trillion.html

cheers Jeff.

Lukeness    10
Lukeness
Hi All

Luke, do you agree with me that these gems - hydrothermal - should be in the Lab created category? After all they are synthetic. This case here has highlighted that innocent buyers could be duped in to buying what they think is a real stone when it is lab created. Yes, some hydrothermal stones are beautiful but the buyer should know what he/ she is investing in.

Regards

Brian

I agree completely. Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Jeff, I must also agree about the word synthetic being in the title, especially if not listed in the lab created section.

Perhaps, to avoid the confusion, BoB could make it policy that all man-made gems sold must be listed in the category. (Obviously I'm not talking about the costume jewellery etc sold in other categories. I mean loose stones).

motherearth    10
motherearth

Luke, I thought they already had that policy? , I mean you can't list a Topaz in the Sapphire section, so the same should apply for synthetics

Jeff

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

I agree, but maybe it needs to be reiterated and made clear to anyone who isn't following that...

pepper007    10
pepper007

Hi guys

I completely agree with you both and wish there was a way to have this enforced. Hydro, lab created synthetic means it's not genuine ... right ? :!:

At least the seller in question had the decency to list as hydro not like this one ...

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8462815

And what about the listing title ... (nowhere in this title does it say simulated)

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/9363660/1_43_CTW_BRIOLITE_DIAMOND_SOLITAIRE_RING.html

Simulated i

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

I think I've posted here before on Briolite. Also, in terms of international conventions and standards (and pretty much the law) if the word diamond is used in the title of a synthetic (or simulant) it should be stated clearly that it is synthetic IN THE TITLE.

As for the Citrine, that would have to be proved before any action could be taken. Perhaps ask the seller a question and see what further information/proof or claims is furnished.

pepper007    10
pepper007

Not too worried about the Citrine, as was posted earlier on I'm making jewellery out of these so it's all good!

I just find it irritating that the gem guidelines are not being enforced.

pepper007    10
pepper007

Not too worried about the Citrine, as was posted earlier on I'm making jewellery out of these so it's all good!

I just find it irritating that the gem guidelines are not being enforced.

pepper007    10
pepper007

Grief! Sorry about double clicking :?