Sign in to follow this  
admin

Is it just my pc,

svw
I see the profanity filter is also not working ha ha ha.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: - and to think a while back I was edited for using the word dam...

On a more serious note the dreaded 'A's' have been cropping up again on the odd listings that I have been relisting via the pick list AND is anyone else experiencing a slow internet today or is is just me I have rebooted my ADSL Router but keep finding that the pages are slow to load - driving me nuts at the moment!

Allstar
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: - and to think a while back I was edited for using the word dam...

On a more serious note the dreaded 'A's' have been cropping up again on the odd listings that I have been relisting via the pick list AND is anyone else experiencing a slow internet today or is is just me I have rebooted my ADSL Router but keep finding that the pages are slow to load - driving me nuts at the moment!

Chaps please stay firmly focused on the issue at hand - It really is driving me and many others batty

And Bidorbuy just carries on passing the buck...

Allstar

Ag come on!

Still no official response form the Bob team and this is the official thread for this issue that the Bob team directs us to?

qball

This has been sent through to IT for a response.

There is no need for swearing or foul language on a public forum, no matter what the issue is, I would request that you please refrain from doing so in future. Thank you.

Unfortunately the IT team are busy with other priorities and will respond in due course.

We appreciate your patience in this regard.

Guest MacMuffin

Hi all,

we looked at the "dreaded" A problem some time back and did have a detailed look - in all instances where we found issues it was related to the following:

• Users using HTML editors or Microsoft Word to create trade listings. Especially MS Word caused a lot of issues and while our HTML online editor tries to fix those issues, it is never 100% correct.
  • Users copying webpages - i.e. highlighting product descriptions from other websites, pasting them into the trade-description (or their own HTML editor)

Our system supports UTF-8 and we have only found a small percentage of cases where the listings don't work, but it was typically an editor issue.

We are aware of some cases, where users have non-english codepages enabled (i.e. cyrillic, chinese etc) on their systems which do cause some problems.

An automatic relisting would not cause the appearance of strange characters, as the relisting would copy the trade. It is more likely that the initial trade had the characters in there already in the first place.

booksallsizes

I also want to be a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious SuperStar-BoBber

Allstar
Hi all,

we looked at the "dreaded" A problem some time back and did have a detailed look - in all instances where we found issues it was related to the following:

• Users using HTML editors or Microsoft Word to create trade listings. Especially MS Word caused a lot of issues and while our HTML online editor tries to fix those issues, it is never 100% correct.
  • Users copying webpages - i.e. highlighting product descriptions from other websites, pasting them into the trade-description (or their own HTML editor)

Our system supports UTF-8 and we have only found a small percentage of cases where the listings don't work, but it was typically an editor issue.

We are aware of some cases, where users have non-english codepages enabled (i.e. cyrillic, chinese etc) on their systems which do cause some problems.

An automatic relisting would not cause the appearance of strange characters, as the relisting would copy the trade. It is more likely that the initial trade had the characters in there already in the first place.

Fair response but could you please explain how a listing can be fine - ie no " Â " anywhere for the duration of the listing and then the relist will have the " Â " appear a few days after the relisting?

Also the " Â " will never appear when you create or preview the listing or immediately after you have confirmed the listing.

That is what is really bothering people who have this issue - the " Â " are never there when you press "preview listing" neither are they there when editing the listing nor immediately after you confirm the listing . They crop up only a few days after the listing has opened , how can that be a user error?

The editor is WYSIWYG - the " Â " are not there during the initial listing creation edit nor during a relist edit but if the " Â " appear in the listing a few days later they are visible in edit mode when you delete them . So that confirms that the " Â " are not in the listings original text and are not introduced by the user , so how are they getting there?

Please guys this is a serious matter , if you have something constructive to add please by all means go ahead otherwise please rather go hold hands and congratulate yourselves in the chit-chat thread where that stuff belongs.

:)

lilythepink
I also want to be a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious SuperStar-BoBber

So do I, books, so do I!!

Allstar

MacMuffin please could you respond to my query , I raised some valid points - this problem is still affecting many users and your reply does not address the issue - it cannot soley be copy and paste .

As you well pointed out : "

An automatic relisting would not cause the appearance of strange characters, as the relisting would copy the trade. It is more likely that the initial trade had the characters in there already in the first place."

Please see my previous replies with Google cache links to previous listing of an item that had no " Â " but an exact re-list of the item now has the " Â " .

How is that possible?

Admin , could you please ask Lilythepink/Booksallsizes/etc to please either contribute to the topic or refrain from replying.

Its most frustrating having their innane comments disturbing a subject that is driving me and others bananas as it is.

I appreciate you guys at Bob have a lot on your plate but they are exacerbating the problem rather than contributing.

Considering their superb standing in this forum I find their behavior strange , please be respectful.

Edited by Allstar

wayjen

When I load a listing the description pictures don't show and sometimes 1 out of maybe 4 pictures will appear when you add it, is it my pc (Windoze 7 Ultimate/Google Chrome or is it BoB? If I edit the listing then the pictures show up.

lilythepink

Sorry if I offended you, Allstar. Usually when someone is in a foul mood, we (other members of the forum family) tend to try and help them smile.

Hope your problem has been sorted out!

Guest MacMuffin
MacMuffin please could you respond to my query , I raised some valid points - this problem is still affecting many users and your reply does not address the issue - it cannot soley be copy and paste .

Let's try and trouble shoot this. We have not been able to internally replicate it (other than getting HTML files or bulkupload CSVs from users where we did find that it contained unsupported characters). If anyone wants to assist in replicating this issue, then provide us with the following:

• HTML code of the trade as it is being listed without the "A"s in the form of a text file (i.e. just switch the trade-description into HTML view, copy the code and paste it into notepad and save)
  • Tradeid of the trade having the issue
  • Alternatively original trade-id and then relisted trade-id

oaks and acorns
Let's try and trouble shoot this. We have not been able to internally replicate it (other than getting HTML files or bulkupload CSVs from users where we did find that it contained unsupported characters). If anyone wants to assist in replicating this issue...

Mac, please try this...

Create an Auction or Buy Now listing, say for R1.00, with or without a pic, and with 3 or 4 separate lines of type (enter after each line) then save the listing as usual.

Wait for the listing to open (important) and check all is hundreds, which it should be.

Then do the following:

Disable pics (IE would be Tools, Options, Advanced, Multi media - deselect Show Pictures, not sure about Firefox and other browsers)

Then go and edit the listing... (you will find that you cannot view any pics you might have placed in the body of the listing or even the body text, so just change the amount from R1.00 to R2.00, or the amount of items available)... and then save the edited listing.

Now go view the listing (you can enable pics again if you like)...

(works every time!)

Edit:

Same results when you (with pics still disabled)

- Copy or Relist, whether or not changes are made

- Edit and save a listing with no changes made

Of course nobody in their right mind would surf/list on bidorbuy without pics enabled, but hopefully the above can provide some inkling of where the problem might lie?

Edited by oaks and acorns