Sign in to follow this  
admin

Is it just my pc,

Guest MacMuffin

Perhaps the following will solve other people's problems as well:

I had a chat with Tananka last night regarding those accented "A"s and we found that she is using a freeware tool called Kompozer to create the HTML. Kompozer creates all HTML in the character encoding ISO-8859 which results in garbled text when copying and pasting into the trade-description. In Kompozer there is a setting to change the encoding to UTF-8 and once we did this, her listings are fine.

So if you use some HTML editor and copy & paste content, make sure that your character encoding is set to UTF-8 (this is the common standard nowadays). If your editor does not support it, try Kompozer (which is freeware) - I think Tananka's listings speak for themselves and the editor seems to make it easy to generate stunning HTML.

Let me know your mileage on this, and hopefully it sorts out all problems...

Guest Guest
This happens when people do copy & pastes from Microsoft Word documents and afterwards could not be bothered to fix the description. ... It's quite puzzling that users list items, and then perhaps not check what the listing looks like (or they do check and then could not be bothered to clean it up) - isn't it?

MacMuffin, here I strongly disagree with you, and think you should first think a bit before blaming users for sloppiness. Yes, there are users who don't bother, but this is not the case! Me for one, I check and double check my listings for purity, as well as check them a third and fourth time in simulating user view, to make sure everything looks perfect! The A's are not there because people aren't bothered, it occurred by itself randomly at certain time periods the past few weeks, which could not have been predicted by users!

Plus, I had a convo with a Call Centre member once. She explained what has been discussed in detail on the forum lately, about people cutting and pasting from Word, giving Field Trade Description more that 5000 characters error. She recommended I paste from Notepad. Eversince my first listings, I have been copying listings from old listings as well as copying phrases like terms and conditions from older listings. Instead of passively forcing users to use that whatever text editor (which most won't) rather adapt the site to deal with Unicode issues. It is not on, or professional to [blame] or [patronize] users into quickfixes like text editors, in other websites I have never seen this issue. And the list is long.

Guest MacMuffin
MacMuffin, here I strongly disagree with you, and think you should first think a bit before blaming users for sloppiness....

@icey100, dont take quotes out of context - have a look at page 1 of this thread and the trade referred. What you quoted was my response to that particular listing and the lack of attention to listings that particular seller gave (it is also no coincidence that the very same user is blacklisted) .

On other websites, users are only allowed to provide basic HTML tags which resolves a whole lot of issues. Our site supports unicode and we don't really care what HTML editor is used. However, some editors encode content in ISO-8895 which converts poorly into UTF-8.

We can only give guidelines / recommendations to users as everyone's setup is different and where necessary we assist users with their problems - not sure what your point with this post is. Tananka's issues were resolved by changing a setting on the editor she was using.

Guest Guest

Hi MacMuffin, sorry if I overreacted, even if the quotes were in fact taken out of context, it seemed like you were frustrated with both the better and worse sellers. This seemed a bit antagonistic. Nevertheless, the problems occur randomly and not due to a problem from the user's side but from BoB's.

No matter what the site supports, a random amount of people have always been using certain text editors. Suddenly, the sight is overflowed with accented A's.

Yes, people have different setups. Then work should be made of creating a unified way of text editing by finding a midway.

My point: It is not always the user, it is sometimes the website.

Seeds for Africa
Hi MacMuffin, sorry if I overreacted, even if the quotes were in fact taken out of context, it seemed like you were frustrated with both the better and worse sellers. This seemed a bit antagonistic. Nevertheless, the problems occur randomly and not due to a problem from the user's side but from BoB's.

No matter what the site supports, a random amount of people have always been using certain text editors. Suddenly, the sight is overflowed with accented A's.

Yes, people have different setups. Then work should be made of creating a unified way of text editing by finding a midway.

My point: It is not always the user, it is sometimes the website.

Hi

I wholeheartedly agree with what Icey says. I take great care in my listings and check them carefully afterwards, and they are fine, yet later A's appear without me having touched the listing. It may not be wide spread but a number of users are experiencing this.

I think anyone who has seen my listings would agree that I take a lot of care over them. I dont use any html editor. I write my own html.

With 1 300 plus items listed its not exactly like I can manually edit them to take the A's out that I never put in.

And another point..... I have had A's appear in listings (I havent edited them) and mysteriously go as they came???

Please can we have some comment from IT?

Thanks

Grant

Edited by Seeds for Africa
added

kebs

I had an issue today - copied an already existing open item (no A's), the copy was full of the dreaded A's.. I don't think I have the strength to go through all my listings to check if there are any mysterious A's suddenly appearing in them..

Seeds for Africa
I had an issue today - copied an already existing open item (no A's), the copy was full of the dreaded A's.. I don't think I have the strength to go through all my listings to check if there are any mysterious A's suddenly appearing in them..

Hi Kebs

It is my hope that all sellers experiencing this problem post on this thread. It adds to what I say that it is affecting numerous sellers, and has ZERO to do with html code or settings on the sellers pc.

Thanks

Guest MacMuffin

We are quite unsure as it does seem to only affect a dozen or so users (at least from the reports we get) and nothing has changed on our part to cause this particular issue. When I looked at it originally it does appear that the character encoding (if it is not UTF-8) of the pasted or relisted content causes the problem, but as said - in some instances the A's could be a bullet and in others could be a space. We could very well go and do a bulk-update of all open trades and strip out the character in question - or in case where it affects particular sellers perhaps look at this.

Our current HTML editor (which is dated 2008) could also be the culprit causing the problems. As a start we will switch to a newer version over the weekend and see if this improves the character handling. The look and feel of the new version is very similar, but the image dialog has changed, with some options being moved to different tabs.

Seeds for Africa
We are quite unsure as it does seem to only affect a dozen or so users (at least from the reports we get) and nothing has changed on our part to cause this particular issue. When I looked at it originally it does appear that the character encoding (if it is not UTF-8) of the pasted or relisted content causes the problem, but as said - in some instances the A's could be a bullet and in others could be a space. We could very well go and do a bulk-update of all open trades and strip out the character in question - or in case where it affects particular sellers perhaps look at this.

Our current HTML editor (which is dated 2008) could also be the culprit causing the problems. As a start we will switch to a newer version over the weekend and see if this improves the character handling. The look and feel of the new version is very similar, but the image dialog has changed, with some options being moved to different tabs.

Hi Mac

Thanks... I would appreciate it if you could look into it. I am in a rather awkward situation as to redo over a thousand listings just isnt practical. I take good care over my listings, and its dissapointing when this happens as it looks like I dont give a darn.

Your assistance would therefore be greatly appreciated.

grant

Guest MacMuffin
Hi Mac

Thanks... I would appreciate it if you could look into it. I am in a rather awkward situation as to redo over a thousand listings just isnt practical. I take good care over my listings, and its dissapointing when this happens as it looks like I dont give a darn.

Your assistance would therefore be greatly appreciated.

grant

Can you post a few trade-id's so we can see what the problem is? Also, are those new listings or re-listings? If they are new listings please send me a Zip-file of the HTML file you copied & pasted (I will PM you my email).

voldermort

well it's very good to know that not only are the sellers being affected by this........if you look at section 17.1.3 of Bid or Buy policy, you will see the same thing has happened there.

17.1.3 must not engage in mass postings of messages, either through e‑mail or onto newsgroups, or engage in any harassment, 'electronic stalking' or 'spam';

Edited by admin
Inserted 17.1.3

voldermort

there we go, thanks Andries & I for one humbly promise never to send a mass posting through a e‑mail :sneaky:

admin

17.1.3 must not engage in mass postings of messages, either through e-mail or onto newsgroups, or engage in any harassment, 'electronic stalking' or 'spam';

Thanks Mac & Sam :wink:

Guest MacMuffin

The policy article was a prime-example of a copy&paste gone wrong some months ago - don't think anyone ever picked this up.

voldermort

& here we go again.........

Find magazines on bidorbuy. Look for car magazines, science magazines, gardening magazines, women’s magazines, men’s magazines and children’s magazines. Get titles like: The Gardener, SA Gardening, Popular Mechanics, Women’s Value, SA Flyer, Time and Time International.

in this instance though we have hieroglyphics added :wtf:....found under Books - Magazines

voldermort

Lol, ok now i just look like a crazy liar cos the hieroglyphics were removed from my post above........but if you go onto BoB Home Page, Books and then Magazines, scroll down to the end of the page and there you shall see it :wink:

admin

Thanks Sam, fixed :wink:

voldermort

phew thank goodness, a reliable witness.........i can hold my head up high again :cool:

Allstar

This problem is still happening - Come on BOB look after us Bobbers please!!!

And to blame copy and pasting from non UTF-8 compliant editors etc is faulty troubleshooting becuase then it would show up immediately when you preview the listing or at least when it opens . Sometimes this problem only crops up weeks or months later after many automatic re-listings with no editing in between relists.

EXPLAIN THAT PLEASE??

I relist things that have no problems and no problems when I proof them after confirming the listing.

A few days later "Â" appear at line breaks etc

I've noticed on both my own listings and many other sellers listings that the code on Bidorbuy is randomly inserting a " Â " sign at line breaks and sometimes just anywhere in the description area of these listings.

THIS CAN BE ENORMOUSLY TIRESOME TO GO TO EACH LINE AND DELETE!!

The " Â " only appears after the listing has been confirmed and active for a few days or weeks , so typically I'll find them in a 2 week old listing . I dont get it in all my listing but a good few do and I have to go through and remove the " Â " .

Please site admins find out why its happening and stop it!

Here is an example of one of my listings that has gone to pot :

)

And here is an example of what is happening:

Screen is Mint Condition - Not a scratch or mark
There are some normal light scratches and marks on the back

PLEASEÂ NOTE
: DOESÂ NOTÂ INCLUDEÂ HEADPHONESÂ USEÂ ANYÂ STANDARDÂ HEADPHONES.Â
The latest iOS 5.1.1 Apple iOS
Software is Loaded
Â

The pics below are of the Actual Item

!!What you see Below is what You Get!!
Â

kyle2

I've also had the notorious A's, but only when I re-list, it was fine to start off with, survived a listing period, but only went faulty after I hit the re-list button.

Allstar

Why does the bidorbuy team still not care enough to solve this issue?

It is enormously frustrating!!!

Please , please someone hear us and do something.

The underlying code on the site is screwing things up.

Nothing changed in my listing or the way I listed , just the bloody " Â " started popping up

IT IS NOT A USER ERROR - IT IS A SITE ERROR

Please Bidorbuy fix it

Apologies for the foul language , hopefully it will help get this issue noticed ;)

Edited by qball
Foul language NOT permitted, no matter how angry you are!

Allstar
Allstar
wayjen

I see the profanity filter is also not working ha ha ha.

wayjen

What's up with the broken links on our thumbnails this fine morning?