Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Heads Up....

Not1CentMore

There is a big scam repeating itself in the USA. Just wanted to give Sellers a 'heads-up'.

Overseas buyers are asking seller to send parcels to a friend / family member located in the USA and that friend / family member will bring the item / items with them in a month / two months when they come to visit. Payment is made, usually via PayPal, and when payment clears, item is / items are dispatched. A few days later, the payment is reversed...bad credit card or buyer gives a, acceptable to PayPal anyway, valid reason for reversing payment. Seems there is a partner / partners in cahoots with the buyer. If you Google earth, the address is there. If you call, someone answers the phone and says yes, they are the family member / friend. These 'crooks' almost have it down to a 'fine art'.

The shipping to an address in the USA may not be 'norm' for most Sellers, but this scam, I am finding out, is popping up all over...so, just a word of caution.

I had one buyer who bid/won multiple items and wanted me to ship to a 'relative' in Florida. (Florida, New York, Illinois and California the biggest 'problem'). I refused saying I only ship to address provided by BoB when auction closes (not implying buyer is being less than honest, but out of caution)...clearly noted in Shipping & Other Costs...and buyer sent email saying if I would not ship to the 'family member', the deal was off. SNC filed today for 'terms not met', and, of course, buyer appealed SNC saying buyer has every right to change shipping address at check-out (didn't and even so, I wouldn't) and it is MY fault for not shipping to family member.

Will be interesting to see how this one 'washes out' in SNC process: accepted or no fault.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

wayjen
There is a big scam repeating itself in the USA. Just wanted to give Sellers a 'heads-up'.

Overseas buyers are asking seller to send parcels to a friend / family member located in the USA and that friend / family member will bring the item / items with them in a month / two months when they come to visit. Payment is made, usually via PayPal, and when payment clears, item is / items are dispatched. A few days later, the payment is reversed...bad credit card or buyer gives a, acceptable to PayPal anyway, valid reason for reversing payment. Seems there is a partner / partners in cahoots with the buyer. If you Google earth, the address is there. If you call, someone answers the phone and says yes, they are the family member / friend. These 'crooks' almost have it down to a 'fine art'.

The shipping to an address in the USA may not be 'norm' for most Sellers, but this scam, I am finding out, is popping up all over...so, just a word of caution.

I had one buyer who bid/won multiple items and wanted me to ship to a 'relative' in Florida. (Florida, New York, Illinois and California the biggest 'problem'). I refused saying I only ship to address provided by BoB when auction closes (not implying buyer is being less than honest, but out of caution)...clearly noted in Shipping & Other Costs...and buyer sent email saying if I would not ship to the 'family member', the deal was off. SNC filed today for 'terms not met', and, of course, buyer appealed SNC saying buyer has every right to change shipping address at check-out (didn't and even so, I wouldn't) and it is MY fault for not shipping to family member.

Will be interesting to see how this one 'washes out' in SNC process: accepted or no fault.

Ruthie

aah ha so your gut feeling was right.

Not1CentMore

And I need to thank you once again for your help via IM over weekend. Not sure if gut was 'right'...could be totally above board...but didn't 'feel' right. Buyer was so insistant that I do things her way or no way.

wayjen
And I need to thank you once again for your help via IM over weekend. Not sure if gut was 'right'...could be totally above board...but didn't 'feel' right. Buyer was so insistant that I do things her way or no way.

ha ha ha her terms and conditions, we had one like that and told them where to get off.

daisyjewel

Thanks Ruthie for the warning -- I have had a few emails this week asking me to ship overseas -- with payment from paypal ... will definitely approach these with EXTREME caution...

There are just so many crooks out there -- you really do have to be so careful

admin

Hi All,

Thanks Ruthie, sadly this is nothing new...Should you receive requests like that from new users, ask community watch to check them out.

Thanks.

lilythepink

Thanks for the warning, Ruthie. You're a pal in a million!

Not1CentMore

lily..thank-you for your kind words.

You, and so many others, work hard to keep BoB a safe place to buy / sell / trade. Thanks to each of you.

Admin...I shall do that in the future; thank-you. SNC has been filed (Decor_N_More account) and hopefully will be resolved shortly.