Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Dear old Autobid

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Ok, I will not express my own opinions here as they get shot down. Anyways, I saw a low priced item very nice, I opened the bid at R340 and then soma put in the highest amount I am willing to spend on it if it goes that high by competitive bidding, as the autobid (R720). This item has a reserve on of about R425 if I do some maths regarding the 20% factor of reserve prices.

My predicament: I can't keep on bidding to try and reach the reserve and win the item (there are no other bidders and the item is almost closing) - because the autobid I put in for competition, and to ensure I have a better chance of winning the item, hampers me from doing so, and I get the "Your current bid does not out bid your previous bid" message! The autobid shouldn't be saved as also being a "bid" as such at this time in programming, since it now looks to the program as if I am trying to bid 700 and then 350 for instance. Awful! It should see 340 then 350. Which will go through.

Any ideas?

brands online    10
brands online

Hi icey100,

The autobid will only increase if someone outbids your winning bid. So it won't go to R720 unless someone else bids. And until then, provide no-one has entered an autobid before and higher than yours, you will still get the item for the lowest autobid, if it meets the reserve. Am I missing something, bear with me, it is Saturday...

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hello brands online, thanks for your reply...

I know the autobid will only increase if someone outbids my winning bid. I am the only bidder on the item so far. But it is not going to meet the reserve thats what you're missing because it is now at the moment below the reserve and no one else is bidding. If I bid again I must go OVER my autobid which is not fair. Am I maybe missing something?

kebs    10
kebs

I think this has been previously discussed as a flaw in the system - that if some-one bids on an item, & they are the only person bidding, there's no way to reach the reserve price.. If I have interpreted your problem correctly...

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

yes thanks snakey, i coulda sworn ive seen it on the forum sumwher b4, but apparantly nothing is done about this.

PS Even if there are 2 or 3 or how many ever bidders, unless they push the price over the reserve mark, theres no way to do it otherwise. so be it only you or yourself and other bidders, it is difficult

admin    0
admin

Hi icey100,

If your auto bid is high enough to meet the reserve price and no-one else bids on the Samsung, your auto bid will automatically be increased to meet the reserve when the auction ends.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

dear admin

thanks, off topic ASAP checkout thread on WEEKEND SHILLBIDDING is rife today i have cought one

admin    0
admin

Hi icey100,

Are you aware that you might win 3 Samsung Star cell phones ?

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

me lurvs Samsung Starries :wub:

haha yes Andries, I am not THAT new in business, the phone is not for myself, I have got the capital for all three, I deal in phones so ya, anyways, I feel a bit uncomfortable dealing with old Rotto. If I should ask him, is he obliged to delete my bid also, after the whole shillbidding fiasco? what if he sends me a broken one?

admin    0
admin

Good :cheesy:

You could have refused to pay for the cell if you won and there was shill bidding, but the bid is back to normal again. You can ask him to delete your bid if you feel uncomfortable, but I doubt that he will send you a "moeg" one.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Thanks again for the technical info on the reserve and closing with autobid Admin. I have also asked Rotman to delete my bid as I do not feel comfortable dealing with people who contravene BOB Rules and Regulations