Sign in to follow this  
Libertas Computers

A+ Certificate

Libertas Computers

I need a bit of advice....

I've been fixing up my friends' computers for quite a few years now without stuffing anything up and now with me owning my business I get approached more regularly to help out with computers (being in Stellenbosch a lot of students brings their laptops and computers over to get it checked - normally I'd get R100 out of it, though once I got paid with a 6pack beer).

The thing is, with it now becoming a more regular thing, I'm considering maybe getting myself an A+ certificate just to show that I can do it if someone does end up worrying about it somehow. My suppliers charges R100 to have a computer built up and I'm considering rather doing it myself in the 30 or so minutes it takes and having a bigger profit in the end.

I saw that it's about R1100 per exam and there are 2 needed to obtain the certificate.

Any advice on whether or not it is worth it and a recommended place to go do it (in the Cape Town to Paarl area)

Thanks

Fred

Lukeness

I really wouldn't bother with it. When I did the A+, N+ and MCSE about 10 years ago they were all the rage but they're really a waste of time if you already know what you're doing. The A+ is so rudimentary that you'll feel like you've been sent back to school. An A+ is also no guarantee that you know anything about PC repairs. Some of the guys that I've seen finish the exams still didn't know the correct hole for a ps2 mouse. Save your money for something that will help you grow.

AManAPlan

If your intention is to boost your CV, I'd say go for it. Don't do it with the intention of hoping to learn new stuff. If you are able to fix or assemble a pc, you know more than most already.

Go and have a look at the sample exams on CompTIA A+ 220-601 220-602 Network+ N10-003 Security+ SY0-101 Linux+ XK0-002 220-603 220-604 - ExamCollection.com

ps. I have MCSE, A+Essentials, MCSD, e-Biz+, A+IT Technician and all the Microsoft .Net up to .Net 4.0 certification. Don't think I use 30% of what I learned.

Libertas Computers

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I'm really not learning to learn new things with it, but I wouldn't mind learning something I didn't know. I have been building PCs up since I was 13 I think, and I'm not looking to overclock clients' PCs for them or anything like that, I just thought that it might be a good idea to have the A+ and then building them myself and saving the costs charged by my suppliers.

Maybe if the funds are available I'll do it at the end of the year, but I'm not looking at building a CV as I'm not looking at going that route.

Thanks again,

Fred