Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Bobpay

Seeds for Africa
Hi VictoryPuzzle,

The actual message to winning bidders read : Buyers are advised to proceed with extra caution if the seller requests payment other than through bobPay.

This message is in ALL winning notifications. Scammers are active on every website where trading is involved and rather than pretending it does not happen, we try and assist users not to loose their hard earned money by "educating" them on safe internet trading. Money paid into BobPay has to be requested with a pay-out request from the seller and security measures are taken before the money is paid out.

Clearly this a much safer way for people to pay over their hard earned money than to deposit it into the sellers own bank account. This does not mean that every no rating seller is considered a scammer, but as I said, fraud is thriving on the web and we would rather be proactive about it. Apologies if the message offends you, but there is a need for it.

I wasnt aware of this message, hence it now makes sense why a buyer "chastised" me for asking her to pay me direct (my banking details are listed on checkout). I do think the wording of that message gives buyers a false sense of security and indircetly intimates that bob are a safer way to pay.

It could lead buyers to believe that there money is safer if they are paying bob, which is not the case at all as a scammer could do a few legitimate transactions and then start selling non existent things. Bob are still going to pay the seller, until the complaints and negatives roll in for non delivery. If the seller is not verified and has already been paid out by bob the way I understand it is the buyer would have no recourse whatsoever to bob. I think this message gives the buyer a false sense of security.

admin
I wasnt aware of this message, hence it now makes sense why a buyer "chastised" me for asking her to pay me direct (my banking details are listed on checkout). I do think the wording of that message gives buyers a false sense of security and indircetly intimates that bob are a safer way to pay.

It could lead buyers to believe that there money is safer if they are paying bob, which is not the case at all as a scammer could do a few legitimate transactions and then start selling non existent things. Bob are still going to pay the seller, until the complaints and negatives roll in for non delivery. If the seller is not verified and has already been paid out by bob the way I understand it is the buyer would have no recourse whatsoever to bob. I think this message gives the buyer a false sense of security.

Before a seller that uses BobPay is paid out, his details are verified so we at least know who he is, hence it would be pretty stupid to conclude a few deals with BobPay then start to scam. Basic sellers are only given the option to use BobPay as payment, so asking a buyer to pay the money into your own account is breaking the rules. The negative ratings come in because of that, users that pay money into a sellers own account that should only use BobPay.

As for if your money is safer paid into BobPay than the sellers own account, ask shellbee and the other 99% of the buyers who used BobPay and not the sellers own bank account to pay the money into http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-community-watch/13075-probable-scam.html

A sellers details can be verified a thousand times, it still does not ensure that the product will be delivered.

Seeds for Africa
Before a seller that uses BobPay is paid out, his details are verified so we at least know who he is, hence it would be pretty stupid to conclude a few deals with BobPay then start to scam. Basic sellers are only given the option to use BobPay as payment, so asking a buyer to pay the money into your own account is breaking the rules. The negative ratings come in because of that, users that pay money into a sellers own account that should only use BobPay.

As for if your money is safer paid into BobPay than the sellers own account, ask shellbee and the other 99% of the buyers who used BobPay and not the sellers own bank account to pay the money into http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-community-watch/13075-probable-scam.html

A sellers details can be verified a thousand times, it still does not ensure that the product will be delivered.

I remember this thread. Wasnt complaining. I was merely commenting that it gives buyers a sense of security that is not necessarily so.

admin

Merely replying to your post :cool:

dominiquesonline

Ok, please bear with me while I try to understand this...

Firstly, the message doesn't "offend" me, but I'll admit it does annoy me. :-/

1) Bob knows who I am already... BOB takes money out my account once a month for the fees. So saying "Before a seller that uses BobPay is paid out, his details are verified so we at least know who he is" seems to me to be a utterly pathetic argument. BOB has all my banking details and my ID... they know who I am already. I don't need to be a BOBpay user for this to be possible.

2) If I want to commit a fraud I am going to sell products that doesn't exist... right? So how does BOBpay then protect the buyer? The buyer will pay into BOB's account, I'll withdraw the money and then the buyer won't receive their product.... So how has BOBpay then been "protecting" them?

I agree with Gamu that this message gives buyers a false sense of security. I feel like I am being forced into using BOBpay against my will. And as BOBpay MUST be making money off the interest of our cash (please don't tell me you are not, we aren't that naive) that is hardly fair of you.

Ok, one last question. If I do switch back to BOBpay, is there no way I can still be billed monthly like the old system?

Seeds for Africa

1) Bob knows who I am already... BOB takes money out my account once a month for the fees. So saying "Before a seller that uses BobPay is paid out, his details are verified so we at least know who he is" seems to me to be a utterly pathetic argument. BOB has all my banking details and my ID... they know who I am already. I don't need to be a BOBpay user for this to be possible.

2) If I want to commit a fraud I am going to sell products that doesn't exist... right? So how does BOBpay then protect the buyer? The buyer will pay into BOB's account, I'll withdraw the money and then the buyer won't receive their product.... So how has BOBpay then been "protecting" them?

I agree with Gamu that this message gives buyers a false sense of security. I feel like I am being forced into using BOBpay against my will. And as BOBpay MUST be making money off the interest of our cash (please don't tell me you are not, we aren't that naive) that is hardly fair of you.

Ok, one last question. If I do switch back to BOBpay, is there no way I can still be billed monthly like the old system?

I dont have a problem with buyers having a sense of security paying through bob pay. What I do mind is the wording. It makes it sound like you are pulling a fast one if you request the buyer to pay you direct. Thats my only issue. One sentence could warn people that there is a risk paying to buyers directly but that they are permitted to be paid direct. I understand bob's reason for the message though, just not the wording.

It is a difficult one as there are constantly scammers / phishers who could intercept emails / hijack bob accounts, give their banking details to buyers and then not deliver.

admin

Hi VictoryPuzzle,

Apologies that you find my post utterly pathetic, I am working for bidorbuy as a contractor and that was my argument, not the views of bidorbuy. I will try and remember to point Cuan in this direction when he returns from leave, so he can address your concerns.

Enjoy the last few hours of the long weekend :wink:

Guest Guest
... I will try and remember to point Cuan in this direction when he returns from leave, so he can address your concerns.

Enjoy the last few hours of the long weekend :wink:

Haha! Before terror strikes and Cuan gets back and he is gonna have a word with some people (hope not me) maybe me inclusive, for very very bad bad bad behaviour on the forum when he was away.... hope not! so ppl! enjoy the last few hours!!!

dominiquesonline

Gee whiz, I said the argument was "utterly pathetic", not the entire post. However, I would appreciate it if you could ask the right person to answer my queries... Thank you.

ziggy2000

Foolproof quick method to check BoB payments?

Hi, I have recently converted to BoB EFT payment. When checking for payments, I notice that some would appear the next day in between ones that I had already seen the previous day, resulting in me checking and checking older pages in case I had missed some. Is there an easier, less time consuming way that I do not know about?

ziggy2000

Hi, you can check your monthly payments to BoB on the Summary View of your billing.

kebs

I've only just started using bobpay & have a seller who has sent me confirmation of payment with the bobpay ref number, but on the order, it says payment still pending. The confusing part is that all other bobpay orders have the bobpay reference number on it, except his? :confused: Anyone have any ideas?

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi kebs

The payment hasn't cleared yet.

The payment confirmation the buyer sent you is his copy.

Sometimes the payments take a bit longer to clear than other times. especially if it's Standard Bank

brands online
Hi, I have recently converted to BoB EFT payment. When checking for payments, I notice that some would appear the next day in between ones that I had already seen the previous day, resulting in me checking and checking older pages in case I had missed some. Is there an easier, less time consuming way that I do not know about?

Hi ziggy, I used to have this same issue. Now I mark BobPay payments off from the emails received for payments. I've created a rule in rule in Outlook to send all these payment mails to a seperate folder when they arrive. They arrive as payments clear so it makes it much much easier.

Seeds for Africa
Hi ziggy, I used to have this same issue. Now I mark BobPay payments off from the emails received for payments. I've created a rule in rule in Outlook to send all these payment mails to a seperate folder when they arrive. They arrive as payments clear so it makes it much much easier.

How do you get certain emails to go into certain folders in outlook. Sorry, excuse my ignorance?

Technik

In Outlook, Right-click on the e-mail notification and select Create Rule....... (fifth from the bottom)

ziggy2000

Thanks Brandsonline, yes a very good idea. I have created the rule.

kebs
Hi kebs

The payment hasn't cleared yet.

The payment confirmation the buyer sent you is his copy.

Sometimes the payments take a bit longer to clear than other times. especially if it's Standard Bank

Thanks! Any idea why there's no reference number showing on the order though? All the others have one, just not this one?

Vinyl Lady Decals

That is strange, does it show that a BoBPay EFT is pending on the order?

It could be that the buyer didn't use the correct reference number which can cause a delay.

Maye you should give BoB a call on Monday or Tuesday just to be sure.

kebs

Yup, it says bobpay EFT pending at the top.. But under the order, where there's usually the ref no, there's nothing?

qball

Have you thought of the large amount of money flowing into the BobPay account and the interest they earn on that ?

Once upon a time, when the world a bit more honest, you would deposit your money in the bank and earn INTEREST - that was how banks originally got people to deposit: We will keep your money safe, you earn interest and the bank USES your money to make MORE money by investing it.

When you put your salary into the bank YOU ARE LENDING THEM your money and they WORK with it EARNING big bucks. A bank only has to guarantee they can pay out 30% of the funds they are holding.

The way banks are working today is essentially illegal. BobPay is not a bank ...

I am sorry to have to say this, but you cannot be further from the truth. We are not a bank. Monies paid into our accounts are basically transferred out the same day or next day, considering the number of payout requests we process, therefore the balance is never static and no interest is earned as the balance changes daily, thus making it almost impossible for the banks to give us interest on the amounts, the accounts are purely transactional. The funds are not kept, nor invested, nor is it loaned to other people. We don't keep the money for safe keeping nor do we use it to generate additional revenue.

Wow, conspiracy theories 101, it seems!:rolleyes:

qball

We do apologise if the message "annoys" you. It is not meant to.

1. As per our terms we restrict basic sellers to bobPay. This method has proven successful in stopping would be fraudsters from getting away with the funds, even though we are not obligated to protect you or the buyers funds. However, you do have the option to register as an Advanced Seller and offer your own payment methods, this is entirely at your discretion and choice. You don't have to be restricted to bobPay EFT.

2. Granted, this is a risk that all online site faces, including buyers and sellers. We do regular and random security checks before paying out, if the amounts are over a certain value, this has proven to be successful in stopping fraudsters the majority of the time, so we do not release the funds until the ID docs and proof of residence are submitted to us (certified copies). Although not fool proof, it does dissuade chancers and stop most incidents of fraud/theft. Please be aware that we do not act as an escrow service or trust for your money.

The reason we display this message is that most chancers will try bypass bobPay, thus getting you to pay them directly, this is risky and it has been proven that buyers who do this, cannot recover their funds. 99% of the time, it does stop the fraud from taking place. No-one is forcing you to accept it - simply register as an Advanced Seller and you can offer whatever payment options you want.

And again, we do not earn interest on your money, well, actually it's the buyers money.

Nope, if you offer bobPay, you are debited from your existing current credit balance as per the bobPay terms of use. We have intentionally done this to cut down on the number of non paying sellers who do not pay their accounts and then we write off hundreds of thousands of Rands worth of fees monthly, due to bad payers.

The reality is that online we face risk every day, it's not like the real world where you can walk into a shop, hand over your money in exchange for your goods. So, yes, risk is present and users need to be aware of the potential risks.

Seeds for Africa
We do apologise if the message "annoys" you. It is not meant to.

1. As per our terms we restrict basic sellers to bobPay. This method has proven successful in stopping would be fraudsters from getting away with the funds, even though we are not obligated to protect you or the buyers funds. However, you do have the option to register as an Advanced Seller and offer your own payment methods, this is entirely at your discretion and choice. You don't have to be restricted to bobPay EFT.

2. Granted, this is a risk that all online site faces, including buyers and sellers. We do regular and random security checks before paying out, if the amounts are over a certain value, this has proven to be successful in stopping fraudsters the majority of the time, so we do not release the funds until the ID docs and proof of residence are submitted to us (certified copies). Although not fool proof, it does dissuade chancers and stop most incidents of fraud/theft. Please be aware that we do not act as an escrow service or trust for your money.

The reason we display this message is that most chancers will try bypass bobPay, thus getting you to pay them directly, this is risky and it has been proven that buyers who do this, cannot recover their funds. 99% of the time, it does stop the fraud from taking place. No-one is forcing you to accept it - simply register as an Advanced Seller and you can offer whatever payment options you want.

And again, we do not earn interest on your money, well, actually it's the buyers money.

Nope, if you offer bobPay, you are debited from your existing current credit balance as per the bobPay terms of use. We have intentionally done this to cut down on the number of non paying sellers who do not pay their accounts and then we write off hundreds of thousands of Rands worth of fees monthly, due to bad payers.

The reality is that online we face risk every day, it's not like the real world where you can walk into a shop, hand over your money in exchange for your goods. So, yes, risk is present and users need to be aware of the potential risks.

very clear and well said. thanks

kebs

What does it mean when you check under bobpay payments received, & the total has been crossed out & it says "replaced"?

Seeds for Africa

Hi

Isnt that when a buyer overwrites the postage amount?