Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Buyers appealing snc's at the 11th hour

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Hi. Would appreciate some advice from other sellers.

I filed some snc's on buyers who hadnt paid.

1) I advertise my terms as 48 hours from close of auction / purchase. Is that permitted? I understood that each seller was within his own rights to set their own terms.

2) Point 1 aside if a seller pays within 7 days, I turn a blind eye even though its outside of my terms.

3) Today, close to 14 days the buyer appeals the snc and says they will make payment. I am not interested. Of the 3 snc's filed, after I filed the snc's I sold 2 of the products elsewhere that the sncs related to. Surely as sellers we cant be expected to sit on our stock until the snc is finalised? Would really appreciate a clear answer on this.

4) I am getting let down far too often. What is the legality of setting my terms at 48 hrs, relisting immediately thereafter, and if the original seller refunds, giving them their cash back less bank charges and a 10% relisting fee?

5) If the buyer has appealed per my above points, and I refuse to supply the product and request them not to pay which I have done, can they then rate me negatively?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Grant

Edited by Seeds for Africa
typo

wayjen    10
wayjen

that too is one of my peeves. Whilst waiting for a buyer to either appeal an SNC or do nothing, we are losing out on advertising and sales because we are waiting n something to happen.

BMW_M3_CSL    10
BMW_M3_CSL

As a on-off seller it has always been my gripe about SNC time frame. Firstly you have to wait 7 days before filing, then another 7 days for the buyer to dispute and to me this utter rubbish, If the buyer doesn't fulfil your stipulations i.e. 48 hrs, then you should be entitled to raise a SNC after that and CANCEL the deal, move on and sell your item to somebody else.

As far as I understand you can stipulate your payment terms to be 48 hrs but have to abide by the 7 days before filing a SNC. My wife was just about to file a SNC tomorrow but the buyer has just informed her that she will pay tonight - now we wait another 3 days for the funds to show and if the funds haven't been paid it means 10 days lost - add another 7 days and now you have to wait 17 Days before trying to sell again. Once again I say this stinks and do understand your frustration.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Grant

As far as I'm aware, you're doing it the right way.

I generally end up only filing an SNC up to three weeks after they're supposed to pay (my policy is three days), I send three reminders.

My policy is that I don't withdraw an SNC once it has been filed as the buyer is then at liberty to give a negative rating which I'm not willing to risk.

I also block a buyer as soon as I file an SNC which prevents them from getting banking details if they haven't completed an auction order.

I also specifically say that the buyer should not pay as the product is no longer available to them.

If a buyer does pay anyway, I refund them their money less bank charges.

I've currently got three buyers I'm waiting for bank details for and I regularly email them via BoB requesting banking details.

I've only had one response so far, but it there was no branch code so I still can't refund him.

kebs    10
kebs

Hi Grant.... Everyone is basically correct.. Cuan has previously stated that the seller can decide terms of payment. If the buyer doesn't pay in time, you have the right to relist the item & inform the buyer that it is no longer available to them - as long as you have clearly stated the payment time limit in the listing. When you file an SNC, which you have to unfortunately wait a week for, state the reason as terms not met. Use the bid or buy messaging system so that you have proof of everything though! But you are fully entitled to relist the item immediately once your 48 hours have passed...

Edited by kebs

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

kebs...thank-you for your informative post. I was not aware that I could re-list after payment 'deadline' had come and gone as long as terms for remitting payment was carefully noted in item description and I notified Buyer.

I see a negative....

Sent via BoB's message system: "According to terms of auction, payment is due within 3-days of auction closing. It is now day 5. PayPal request for payment sent 03.11.11 and PayPal reminder sent 03.14.11. Items are no longer available. PayPal request for payment cancelled. Any PayPal payment will be reversed. SNC will be filed for 'Terms not met by buyer'."

I initially deleted Buyer's bids for other Seller's comments. Buyer sent several messages via Q&A saying she should not be penalized for the negatives left by other Sellers in response to her giving those Sellers negative ratings for 'unacceptable' items. I replied, 'Thank-you. There are always two sides to a story. I will accept your bids.'

Hindsight is 20-20.

Should Buyer remit payment via PayPal, payment will be reversed. SNC will be filed. Should Buyer, in the meantime, leave me a few negatives, those will go 'poof' when SNC is filed (which I am sure will be appealed) and 'fingers crossed', BoB will decide the SNC is valid and my fees reversed and, more important, Buyer's negatives will go bye-bye.

kebs    10
kebs

It's one of the reasons that BoB will be sticking to the 7 day waiting period for an SNC - because you may relist once the deadline has passed.. It does sometimes create headaches though if the buyer insists on paying - refunds etc, but that doesn't happen often, at least not in my past experiences!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Hi Grant.... Everyone is basically correct.. Cuan has previously stated that the seller can decide terms of payment. If the buyer doesn't pay in time, you have the right to relist the item & inform the buyer that it is no longer available to them - as long as you have clearly stated the payment time limit in the listing. When you file an SNC, which you have to unfortunately wait a week for, state the reason as terms not met. Use the bid or buy messaging system so that you have proof of everything though! But you are fully entitled to relist the item immediately once your 48 hours have passed...

Hi. Thanks for that. My terms are crystal clear and stated fully in my listings. Just an irritation factor. What happens now that the buyer has appealed the snc and says they will pay and I am refusing to conclude the transaction as the buyer is outside of my terms. Can they rate me negative?

Thanks

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

No, I had a case similar to this and Cuan said to me that it is within the seller's right to decide whether to conclude the sale or not.

You are not to forced take payment as your terms were violated.

The best thing is not to withdraw the SNC.

The SNC won't go against you as your terms were violated, so the buyer won't be able to rate you at all.

If the buyer has already paid you, you will need to find a method of refunding them, it's very irritating.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
No, I had a case similar to this and Cuan said to me that it is within the seller's right to decide whether to conclude the sale or not.

You are not to forced take payment as your terms were violated.

The best thing is not to withdraw the SNC.

The SNC won't go against you as your terms were violated, so the buyer won't be able to rate you at all.

If the buyer has already paid you, you will need to find a method of refunding them, it's very irritating.

Thanks Angela. Puts my mind at ease.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers
Hi Grant

As far as I'm aware, you're doing it the right way.

I generally end up only filing an SNC up to three weeks after they're supposed to pay (my policy is three days), I send three reminders.

My policy is that I don't withdraw an SNC once it has been filed as the buyer is then at liberty to give a negative rating which I'm not willing to risk.

I also block a buyer as soon as I file an SNC which prevents them from getting banking details if they haven't completed an auction order.

I also specifically say that the buyer should not pay as the product is no longer available to them.

If a buyer does pay anyway, I refund them their money less bank charges.

I've currently got three buyers I'm waiting for bank details for and I regularly email them via BoB requesting banking details.

I've only had one response so far, but it there was no branch code so I still can't refund him.

Similar to the way we do it...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Hi. Thanks for that. My terms are crystal clear and stated fully in my listings. Just an irritation factor. What happens now that the buyer has appealed the snc and says they will pay and I am refusing to conclude the transaction as the buyer is outside of my terms. Can they rate me negative?

Thanks

It is definitely not the buyer's right to rate you negatively but some buyers try it, just to be difficult. If this happens to you, just contact communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and put your case to them. They will, in all likelihood, remove the negative rating!