Sign in to follow this  
bitesize

Post Office woes and how to deal with it

bitesize    10
bitesize

So you've sent off or ordered a parcel and wait for the arrival. except that nothing arrives. what do you do?

After experiencing first hand a whole new level of irritation with the post office this is what I can suggest to hopefully get you ahead. If you know any other tips please post, the more the better so that both buyer and seller can know what to do.

1. If you are expecting a parcel, it's essential to keep track online. Sometimes the system is down so when you have an idea that enough time has passed phone in and track and trace if you need to.

2. You don't need to wait for a slip to collect your parcel. Write down the tracking number, name and address that appear on the parcel, the date it was sent and when it was last scanned. Hand this in at the post office and tell them it has arrived. Have your ID just in case. Also, if you know whether the parcel was sent ordinary or economail it will make things easier.

3. If you have confirmed that your parcel has been tracked to your post office (best if you call the customer service) and the post office refuses to help you, tell them while you are there to contact the customer service themselves.

My one customer had this problem. It was tracked to the one post office and sent the one nearest to her. But the post office kept on denying it had arrived and refused to help. I had contacted the customer care line who in turn said she had to go in and if they still gave her hassles the post office had to contact the customer care. Long story short, she got her parcel after nearly 2 weeks overdue but only after going through all of this.

4. If you order a parcel from overseas and it takes longer than 2-3 months to arrive, go to the post office with your details and ask them to check.

I had to do this today since I was waiting for a CD. The parcel was sitting at the post office and the slip was never sent out.

The post office is lazy, we all know that. But the buyer needs to keep track of their parcels. I never wait for a slip because I know how the post office works, so I go in and collect it with or without a notification.

Here's hoping this helps relieve even a small amount of frustration :sowsuser:.

SProducts    10
SProducts

Wish most buyers were reading this. I have had 2 buyers this year I sent more than 10 emails encouraging them to go to the post office to pick up their parcel and not to let the staff tell them its not there. After a few days they would email saying they are still waiting and I would teell them the same thing and also alert them it will be returned to me and thats what happened.

Their parcels are back with me and I cant get hold of one of them.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Too true, I've also had to help many a buyer to deal with their unhelpful post offices.

I can remember once standing in a post office and refusing to leave until they found my parcel.

They searched high and low and lo and behold, found it hidden behind a radiator heater after an hour's search.

They were probably hoping I would give up and leave, but I refused and I let everybody who was there know all about it.

I hope I really embarrassed them.

I never use that post office anymore and apparently the rate of theft from there is astronomical.

I have a friend that has "lost" three parcels from there and these parcels never even left the post office.

bitesize    10
bitesize

that's the huge downside of being a seller. I regularly check on the delivery of my parcels and alert the buyer that is had arrived if the parcel hasn't been collected. keep records of the emails you sent in case they take it up with admin so that you can show how you tried to contact them.

bitesize    10
bitesize
Too true, I've also had to help many a buyer to deal with their unhelpful post offices.

I can remember once standing in a post office and refusing to leave until they found my parcel.

They searched high and low and lo and behold, found it hidden behind a radiator heater after an hour's search.

They were probably hoping I would give up and leave, but I refused and I let everybody who was there know all about it.

I hope I really embarrassed them.

I never use that post office anymore and apparently the rate of theft from there is astronomical.

I have a friend that has "lost" three parcels from there and these parcels never even left the post office.

good!!! :nuts: seems we have to do everything ourselves.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Even better. Find a small not busy post office near you. (They do sometimes exist). Make friends with the manager (a few small gifts seem to buy everlasting friendship!) and they will fall over backwards to be accomodating! My experience, but I am lucky that there is a not busy p office 2 mins from me.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels
Even better. Find a small not busy post office near you. (They do sometimes exist). Make friends with the manager (a few small gifts seem to buy everlasting friendship!) and they will fall over backwards to be accomodating! My experience, but I am lucky that there is a not busy p office 2 mins from me.

This really does work. I have only one post office I go to and get excellent service. They even e-mail or call me when parcels have arrived for me. We're all on first name terms there and have always bent backwards to assit me in offering a better service. I got there one day a few minutes after the cut-off time for speed services but they took in my parcels and re-opened the bags for me. This is really outstanding service from a post office

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
This really does work. I have only one post office I go to and get excellent service. They even e-mail or call me when parcels have arrived for me. We're all on first name terms there and have always bent backwards to assit me in offering a better service. I got there one day a few minutes after the cut-off time for speed services but they took in my parcels and re-opened the bags for me. This is really outstanding service from a post office

Likewise. It doesnt take a lot. A couple cold cokes on a hot day. Small things and they will bend over backwards. With my business I must mail 4 to 500 things a month and receive 20 to 30. As you say, I get called when my things arrive. If one of my customers is having a problem getting a parcel, my post office call their post office. At the end of the day, yes theres a lot wrong with the post office, BUT if you get the right relationships, life's a whole lot easier.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Yup - best plan! Luckily our postmistress is our house-sitter when we are away, her grandmother is our neighbour, her father is our best mate and she's just a darling, anyway. But not everyone is so lucky... But still, post needs keeping an eye on - and many phonecalls still need to get made for customers who have to collect from impossible post offices with the most unhelpful people in the world working there...

JPBon    10
JPBon

I go to our area hub which is quiet because there is a big PO in one of the shopping centers, people dont even know this one exists lol.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Yup - best plan! Luckily our postmistress is our house-sitter when we are away, her grandmother is our neighbour, her father is our best mate and she's just a darling, anyway. But not everyone is so lucky... But still, post needs keeping an eye on - and many phonecalls still need to get made for customers who have to collect from impossible post offices with the most unhelpful people in the world working there...

These are the advantages of living in smaller places! I am friends with the postmaster and his deputy here and the staff on the counters welcome me like a good friend whenever I enter the PO door!

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers

I never wait for the slips, seeing how my slips gets put in my little box at my flat by the guy on the bicycle, I tend to rather track it online and just write the tracking number down and head to the PO and give them that.

The one lady looked at me the 2 weeks ago when handing her my piece of paper, she didn't even look down at the tracking number and told me it's not here and called next. I then stood there and told her that it is seeing how I tracked it and it's here. She refused to help me and said that they'll have to wait for someone to access the tracking logs (what a load of ****). I then refused to leave and tracked it for her on my phone and told her to go look in the back, it arrived the previous day and 20 seconds later she return with my parcel...

When I was up in Pta I never had this problem. I always wrote down the numbers that GeeWizz gave me and went to the PO and they got it.

Had a parcel delivered to me last week and got no tracking number from the seller. After realizing that it's been a while I asked the seller for the number and got it and saw it's been at the PO a week. Got my parcel and got the slip 2 days later in my box..

Best thing is to track it online (the 2 hours a day that it does work).

In battling with it once I found a site (Parcel Track | Parcel Tracking | www.Parceltrack.co.za) and I don't know how, but I got errors from the sapo site the whole time, typed the number into parceltrack, got redirected and viola..?

bitesize    10
bitesize
I never wait for the slips, seeing how my slips gets put in my little box at my flat by the guy on the bicycle, I tend to rather track it online and just write the tracking number down and head to the PO and give them that.

The one lady looked at me the 2 weeks ago when handing her my piece of paper, she didn't even look down at the tracking number and told me it's not here and called next. I then stood there and told her that it is seeing how I tracked it and it's here. She refused to help me and said that they'll have to wait for someone to access the tracking logs (what a load of ****). I then refused to leave and tracked it for her on my phone and told her to go look in the back, it arrived the previous day and 20 seconds later she return with my parcel...

When I was up in Pta I never had this problem. I always wrote down the numbers that GeeWizz gave me and went to the PO and they got it.

Had a parcel delivered to me last week and got no tracking number from the seller. After realizing that it's been a while I asked the seller for the number and got it and saw it's been at the PO a week. Got my parcel and got the slip 2 days later in my box..

Best thing is to track it online (the 2 hours a day that it does work).

In battling with it once I found a site (Parcel Track | Parcel Tracking | www.Parceltrack.co.za) and I don't know how, but I got errors from the sapo site the whole time, typed the number into parceltrack, got redirected and viola..?

Just goes to show you, you have to do everything yourself. That lady at the post office was talking rubbish. They don't need to look at logs because they are required to contact the customer care while the customer is standing there and can easily check for the item that way.

From now I'm posting this link to my customers once their orders have been sent.

bitesize    10
bitesize
These are the advantages of living in smaller places! I am friends with the postmaster and his deputy here and the staff on the counters welcome me like a good friend whenever I enter the PO door!

i found that a smile goes a long way. one of the guys working at my post office collects the parcels accepted, keeps everything neat and clean etc. but when there is a long line and i need to collect one of my parcels he happily helps me. he always greets me and asks how i am. i have seen other customers treat him in a not so nice way, so i think he values every smile he gets.

thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread :nuts:.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Another advantage of going to a small Post Office: It is clearly written on a parcel which was returned because the buyer did not collect "Return fee: R40". Our PO pretend they didnt see any such message :angel: