Sign in to follow this  
LKG

Lukeness, can you help?

LKG

Hi Luke,

I've heard a lot about you! In my stupidity as a beginner I bought two Doublets Alexandrites, do they actually have any value at all? I do not want to sell them, but it is my daughters birth stone, and wanted to set them in a pendant...but is it worth it?

Lukeness

Hi,

It really depends on the stone and what other stone was used to create the doublet. It will probably not be worth a great amount though but if your think they are beautiful and your daughter likes them, then I think that alone makes them worthwhile to set. A lot of stuff that isn't worth much gets set all the time. That doesn't make it any less beautiful.

Luke

LKG

Thanks Luke! I think I'll set them then, because they are really pretty!

Celebrity Jewels

Hi luke

Please can you clarify the definition of a DOUBLET for forum users.

Thanks

Brian

Lukeness

A doublet is a 'stone' comprised of two parts. One part (usually the top) is the natural gemstone and the other part (which makes up the rest of the weight at little cost) is a cheaper or synthetic material. A triplet is like a doublet except there are three parts, with the gemstone portion significantly reduced so that it is sliver sandwiched between two halves of cheaper material.

Celebrity Jewels

Thanks Luke

Let the buyer beware but at least whoever sees this post will know. There are sellers on another popular auction site selling Tanzanite doublets and getting the same price as 100% natural stones. Nobody will know the difference but will have forked out far too much loot for a worthless pretty stone.

Hopefully buyers will learn all these gemstone terminologies and beware what they are buying!

Regards

Brian