Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

Hard work is needed to sell on Bid or Buy or is it?

wayjen    10
wayjen

Do you think that if you sit back and refresh your sales page all day you will hit the jackpot and have some sales? Do you think if you have 10 items on Bid or Buy and you get enough people to visit your items you will have a free for all and everyone will bid thereby pushing your prices up?

If you feel that is how to do it then good luck.

For a long time now I have been talking to people about listing on Bid or Buy and I have explained how it works and what needs to be done but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I fail to see how you can make money to survive if you do not do the hard work that is necessary to write your own cheque at the end of the day. If you are negative then that reflects in your sales and no matter how much you moan or complain or whine to everyone that you are falling behind on your bills, you will not make it on Bid or Buy unless you start working on peoples emotions.

As I mentioned before, if you give a man a fish he will eat for a day but if you teach him to fish he will eat forever and that applies to Bid or Buy too. Many a time I have told friends and family that you need to keep looking for "that" item to list on an auction that will set you straight and until that time comes you need to keep posting items because it could be anyone of those items.

Finding items to list on Bid or Buy need not cost you an arm and a leg and it should not as you can get items from anywhere and anyone if you go out and do some leg work instead of watching the monitor for that sale.

Remember we are not all financially stable to be able to help each and every person out there who is in difficulty but we can lead them to a point where they can start to look after themselves and generate and income or that extra pocket money. Some of us are here because we want to make money and some of us are here because we have to make money.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Do you know that virtually every suburb (not town) --yes suburb-- in the UK has a market, be it a fleamarket,boot sale,craft market or farmers market.

What is wrong with South Africa that we cannot do the same.

Markets are sometimes discouraged rather than encouraged.

What do people do with their unwanted items? They could generate income to pay an account or buy essentials.

Money should circulate.

I am planning a trip to UK mid year and am researching markets round sight seeing.

It is so overwhelming that one has to make a decision and stick to it.

If I am there for 4 Saturdays I cant get to hundreds of Saturday markets.

Amazingly there are markets that open at 1pm so one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I can fit in markets every weekday too.

Backward we are!!!!!

wayjen    10
wayjen
Do you know that virtually every suburb (not town) --yes suburb-- in the UK has a market, be it a fleamarket,boot sale,craft market or farmers market.

What is wrong with South Africa that we cannot do the same.

Markets are sometimes discouraged rather than encouraged.

What do people do with their unwanted items? They could generate income to pay an account or buy essentials.

Money should circulate.

I am planning a trip to UK mid year and am researching markets round sight seeing.

It is so overwhelming that one has to make a decision and stick to it.

If I am there for 4 Saturdays I cant get to hundreds of Saturday markets.

Amazingly there are markets that open at 1pm so one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I can fit in markets every weekday too.

Backward we are!!!!!

Take a trip to Fort Lauderdale in Florida and go visit /////swapshop\\\\\. then you tell me why we don't have this here.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Wayne, I have to agree with you about the hard work. It isn't just finding the items to list and then listing them but, indeed, keeping a track of who has bought what, getting things properly packed and then traipsing off to the PO. Geewhizz and I are blessed to have husbands to help us with the PO side of things (as, I think, you have Jenny).

And, yes, flea markets and car boot sales, house auctions and other auctions are good places to pick up bargains. It involves a whole lot of effort and time but that's the only way to do it!

wayjen    10
wayjen

But besides fleamarkets and running to the post office you need to go out and find stock if BoB is your way to make money, you cannot expect others to buy your goods if they don't need it and what happens once those items are gone?

I posted maybe 20 items yesterday and I wake up this morning and about half of that have been bid on, you cannot sit around and refresh your screen all day you need to get stock and list.

qball    11
qball

Boksburg has a daily flea market! Closed on Monday's though...

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

If Boksburg was in the UK it would have a fleamarket for every suburb in Boksburg.

ClickandShip    10
ClickandShip

Back to the original topic..

Funnily enough, I was thinking this, this morning. I received some new stock and there is a new arrival. I couldn't beleive my eyes, how creative and ingenious!!

Have a look at this item : Speakers - **STUNNING!**STUNNING!**STUNNING!** CERAMIC SPEAKERS!! for sale in Kroonstad (ID:34138595)

It amazes me that in a time where everything has been done to death already, there are still creative ways to make money happening every day. I actaully thought of JPBON since he already has the ''Housings'' all it would now take would be a electronic fitting and you could be in bussiness!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

there you go. Instead of moaning and groaning about sales, people must use their talents and make something. A google search will give you so many ideas you wont know where to begin.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Do you think that if you sit back and refresh your sales page all day you will hit the jackpot and have some sales? Do you think if you have 10 items on Bid or Buy and you get enough people to visit your items you will have a free for all and everyone will bid thereby pushing your prices up?

For a long time now I have been talking to people about listing on Bid or Buy and I have explained how it works and what needs to be done but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I fail to see how you can make money to survive if you do not do the hard work that is necessary to write your own cheque at the end of the day. If you are negative then that reflects in your sales and no matter how much you moan or complain or whine to everyone that you are falling behind on your bills, you will not make it on Bid or Buy unless you start working on peoples emotions.

As I mentioned before, if you give a man a fish he will eat for a day but if you teach him to fish he will eat forever and that applies to Bid or Buy too. Many a time I have told friends and family that you need to keep looking for "that" item to list on an auction that will set you straight and until that time comes you need to keep posting items because it could be anyone of those items.

Finding items to list on Bid or Buy need not cost you an arm and a leg and it should not as you can get items from anywhere and anyone if you go out and do some leg work instead of watching the monitor for that sale.

Remember we are not all financially stable to be able to help each and every person out there who is in difficulty but we can lead them to a point where they can start to look after themselves and generate and income or that extra pocket money. Some of us are here because we want to make money and some of us are here because we have to make money.

Too true Wayne! But with everything you have listed, how big is your warehouse? :grin:

Ooops, I should be saying, do you have enough room to sleep in the warehouse?

wayjen    10
wayjen
Too true Wayne! But with everything you have listed, how big is your warehouse? :grin:

Ooops, I should be saying, do you have enough room to sleep in the warehouse?

we live in a tent, the items are in the house.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I guess the car is full, too, and that's why you travel around in your trolley? By the way, have you repaired it's puncture? :wink:

wayjen    10
wayjen
I guess the car is full, too, and that's why you travel around in your trolley? By the way, have you repaired it's puncture? :wink:

I outsourced it and now the people have disappeared.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

If you could see what is going on in our house this week.

My son arrives from UK on Saturday.I could leave things as they are but I would get a thick ear from this one.

Hubby and I have decided to get a domestic in for the day tomorrow.

Something had to be done before she arrives here otherwise she will walk in, then straight out.

Never mind the security risk

We were moving a bed earlier on. I did something stupid so he said"Just use your brains for a change" Ag! Shut up!! I said then we both burst out laughing.:angel:

JPBon    10
JPBon

Ahhh you should see my place I am renowned for being messy, thankfully I now have a better half who loves tiding up.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

My better half isn't allowed to touch most things because if something goes missing he gets the blame.

He once threw a gold coin in the dustpin.

I managed to retrieve it before the bin load was removed.:oops:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I outsourced it and now the people have disappeared.

Well, they didn't take your trolley with them - you can collect it on the corner at midnight! LOL (And some fairy godmother repaired the puncture so you're now A for Away!)

babyface2    10
babyface2

my store room is full now the spare room has to help.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Good come back!

babyface2    10
babyface2

Gosh Wayne, i feel to guilty now to press send and receive or the refresh even once a day, after i worked my b**t off today packing hoards of parcels and trying to photograph new listings.

wayjen    10
wayjen
Gosh Wayne, i feel to guilty now to press send and receive or the refresh even once a day, after i worked my b**t off today packing hoards of parcels and trying to photograph new listings.

you should NOT feel guilty if you put in the effort, I am not talking about those who actually get up and do something to generate work I am talking about those that do nothing but expect everything.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
But besides fleamarkets and running to the post office you need to go out and find stock if BoB is your way to make money, you cannot expect others to buy your goods if they don't need it and what happens once those items are gone?

I posted maybe 20 items yesterday and I wake up this morning and about half of that have been bid on, you cannot sit around and refresh your screen all day you need to get stock and list.

Believe I did leg work for over 20 years.

Markets are fine for finding low priced items if that is what you sell. I prefer to have fewer items listed.

I dont bother with markets in South Africa when it comes to finding the better items because I know too well how it works.

The markerteers keep items for certain dealers or they are too over priced.

Advertising works better for me. I am the only one looking at the stock and dont have to fight for it.

It is great fun when one finds good items at markets and especially if one was the lucky person to be there at the right time.

Charity shops have their regular buyers--items kept aside for them.This apply's even in the UK.

It was differant 10-20 years ago but now everyone has their finger in the pie.

Milnerton market was great when we were at the palm site many years ago but dealers complain to me all the time that they find nothing worthwhile.

Besides the bag ladies are doing your leg work. Just pulling your leg

wayjen    10
wayjen
Believe I did leg work for over 20 years.

Markets are fine for finding low priced items if that is what you sell. I prefer to have fewer items listed.

I dont bother with markets in South Africa when it comes to finding the better items because I know too well how it works.

The markerteers keep items for certain dealers or they are too over priced.

Advertising works better for me. I am the only one looking at the stock and dont have to fight for it.

It is great fun when one finds good items at markets and especially if one was the lucky person to be there at the right time.

Charity shops have their regular buyers--items kept aside for them.This apply's even in the UK.

It was differant 10-20 years ago but now everyone has their finger in the pie.

Milnerton market was great when we were at the palm site many years ago but dealers complain to me all the time that they find nothing worthwhile.

Besides the bag ladies are doing your leg work. Just pulling your leg

then, like babyface2, this thread does not talk about you.

JPBon    10
JPBon

Im spending more time doing other forms of advertising and less time on Bob. Im having some success with that, if all goes well with a particular deal then most of my pottery will be delisted and sold to someone I used to deal with years ago, next week ( so if you want anything you better climb in now) or ask me to keep it.

Vegar    10
Vegar

Cape Town is full of markets - on a weekend if you see cars parked on the paving you know there is a market around the corner.

And the Milnerton weekend market is 2km of stalls heaped with junk and treasures - it is like sifting through a big garbage bin and anything that glitters IS gold!

Markets (African Art, Talent exchange, Holistic, crafts ...), auction houses, deceased estates, church bazaars, charity shops, second hand shops, sales and liquidations - lots of pickings!

Sometimes I wonder how many times an old heirloom has been sold and resold ...:laugh: The best kind of recycling!