Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

R1 auctions

Vegar    10
Vegar

Last week I did a R1 auction for the first time. Even though the items sold way below cost I found it a good experience and I decided that I would use the R1 auctions as a sort of advertising for my items.

Naturally I am offering high quality items.

I also engaged in some R1 bidding of my own - which has not been such a good experience ... I bought some really bad stuff - LOL:cry:

What worries me is the approach to the R1 auctions by sellers like this one:

1x1_trans.gifNeutral rating for Kiddies Binocular set - Excellent quality- Po...

24 Jan 2011

Comment:

The service was good and fast, the quality of the product was not so good.Not a good point, on the ad "Kiddies Binocular set - Excellent quality"??

by jorda04 (39 rating1.gif)

Response:

you paid R1.00. What can you get these days for R1.00?

Is that the idea? Are these people selling stuff which is only worth R1?

It seems obvious to me that the low start of the auction is to generate interest and in most cases the item will sell for its realistic value.

If an item is WORTH R1 then it must be stated up front.

JPBon    10
JPBon

It seems too many sellers get angry when their item sells for below what they think it is worth and they then think they can get revenge by sending you rubbish or some other things. They do not enter into the auctions with the view that they are taking any risk.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Some sellers have attitudes and shouldn't be selling on BoB. They give other BoB sellers a bad name.

If something is listed on a R1.00 auction it should be decent quality and the buyer shouldn't be sent an inferior product just because the bid was low! But, yes, there is a whole lot of "crap" being listed - it's a case of buyer beware!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Last week I did a R1 auction for the first time. Even though the items sold way below cost I found it a good experience and I decided that I would use the R1 auctions as a sort of advertising for my items.

Naturally I am offering high quality items.

I also engaged in some R1 bidding of my own - which has not been such a good experience ... I bought some really bad stuff - LOL:cry:

What worries me is the approach to the R1 auctions by sellers like this one:

1x1_trans.gifNeutral rating for Kiddies Binocular set - Excellent quality- Po...

24 Jan 2011

Comment:

The service was good and fast, the quality of the product was not so good.Not a good point, on the ad "Kiddies Binocular set - Excellent quality"??

by jorda04 (39 rating1.gif)

Response:

you paid R1.00. What can you get these days for R1.00?

Is that the idea? Are these people selling stuff which is only worth R1?

It seems obvious to me that the low start of the auction is to generate interest and in most cases the item will sell for its realistic value.

If an item is WORTH R1 then it must be stated up front.

Irrespective of what price is paid, what is described in the listing, is what should be sent - end of story! This is business, and as a seller when you list something you must list with the worst case scenario in mind. Heres a good one. I have listed an R850 bottle of Moet French Champagne on this weeks crazy at R 1 start.

Champagne & Sparkling Wine - @@@ cRaZy R1 Start - R 850 Bottle Moet et Chandon Champagne - Starting at R1 - Indulgence by GAMU @@ for sale in Cape Town (ID:34145138)

So, if thats all it sells for (it better not!!!), what should I do, drink it (to drown my sorrows at selling a R850 item for R1) and then send the empty bottle to the buyer and tell him - hey it was a R1 auction so here goes! Come on, sellers with this attitude, must be exposed and avoided.

:biggrin: Someone just bid R 51 - so you never know, they may be getting a R51 empty bottle!!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

I would think R1.00 auctions are risky because your item might not be seen till the end of the auction and then before closing it gets a bid and you are the loser.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I would think R1.00 auctions are risky because your item might not be seen till the end of the auction and then before closing it gets a bid and you are the loser.

The R1 auctions (Crazy Wednesday, et) are fine provided you do the listings early, really early (i.e. on a Saturday or Sunday for instance). You then get longer exposure and better sales. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :razz:

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Its up to R 101 - compliments of Lilly!!! At R101 I will still drink it, but at least I will refill with JC Le Roux!!!!

And if I don't get more than R1 for the CD"s Lilly bid on, she may get empty cases! :-)

wayjen    10
wayjen
Its up to R 101 - compliments of Lilly!!! At R101 I will still drink it, but at least I will refill with JC Le Roux!!!!

And if I don't get more than R1 for the CD"s Lilly bid on, she may get empty cases! :-)

R151.00 ain't half bad.

JPBon    10
JPBon

My items are doing fine, and its still early, so I am sure more bids to come. Only one item is still on R1 and that one will go up I am sure.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I hope you do get more for the CD's but, if I win, please don't send me empty cases or I will send you some of lilythepink's medicinal compound - and you can guess where that will take you! LOL

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
I hope you do get more for the CD's but, if I win, please don't send me empty cases or I will send you some of lilythepink's medicinal compound - and you can guess where that will take you! LOL

Dont worry Lily! If you win you will get exactly what you have bid on! !

Vegar    10
Vegar
The R1 auctions (Crazy Wednesday, et) are fine provided you do the listings early, really early (i.e. on a Saturday or Sunday for instance). You then get longer exposure and better sales. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :razz:

I also discovered that by listing as early as Saturday you get more exposure.

I think that perhaps it should be compulsory to give an indication of the market value of the item. That way one can't just list a piece of plastic s..t worth nothing and pretend it is a high quality item.

Protect the buyer by giving an indication of the value of the item and prevent sellers from misleading the buyers.

Truth in advertising goes for BoB as well.

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace
I also discovered that by listing as early as Saturday you get more exposure.

I think that perhaps it should be compulsory to give an indication of the market value of the item. That way one can't just list a piece of plastic s..t worth nothing and pretend it is a high quality item.

Protect the buyer by giving an indication of the value of the item and prevent sellers from misleading the buyers.

Truth in advertising goes for BoB as well.

It's a good suggestion - the market value of an item, I mean - but can you see all sellers being honest about the actual value of their item? I don't think so. I'm not a greatly experienced "bobber" but some of the values that sellers put on their items are outrageous!

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers

Question...

Say I want to list an item starting at R1, no reserve..

Is it better to list it on Crazy Wednesday, or use the days for normal auctions??

JPBon    10
JPBon
Question...

Say I want to list an item starting at R1, no reserve..

Is it better to list it on Crazy Wednesday, or use the days for normal auctions??

Wednesdays cost you R5 to list but you get a lot of exposure and a fair amount of buyers seem to be around on wednesdays.

babyface2    10
babyface2
Wow thats a nice pice! I hope you do well on it!

it is lovely gamu why do you not list under antique section and the champaigne as well, a lot wines listed there and i always list wrought iron under antiques.

i personally think it is the most popular section, that is why some sellers take chances listing there

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Congratulations to Lily for winning a lovely wine basket to go with her Champagne! I hope you snatched the bubbly as well :grin:

I was wondering if there is a special occasion coming up?

Yes, yesterday was my lucky day, it seems!

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers

Congrats Lilly..

I have also now listed my first Crazy Wednesday item, even though it's a bit of a higher valued item than I was hoping to list..

I've now resulted to stress about the result.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Congrats Lilly..

I have also now listed my first Crazy Wednesday item, even though it's a bit of a higher valued item than I was hoping to list..

HI

All the best with your crazy listing-I an confident you will be successful-Dont be disheartened if your first venture does not realise your expectations but you may be pleasantly surprised at the prices realised-Break a leg.

NEIL

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

I would suggest that you pay an additional R10 listing fee and list your item as a Featured Listing. You will then get more exposure and your item will show up on the first page of the "Computer" category. Keep your time slot as it is. Just a suggestion....

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers
I would suggest that you pay an additional R10 listing fee and list your item as a Featured Listing. You will then get more exposure and your item will show up on the first page of the "Computer" category. Keep your time slot as it is. Just a suggestion....

Oeeeee, you people are going to rob me blind, but ok. I will then go and up the listing fee... I was considering it earlier, thanks! :wink: