Sign in to follow this  
selabi

What would you do???

selabi

So here the story i won an auction from an artist for two of her works the lady was not happy with the price i won the auction for and wanted R1000 for delivery finally got her to post for R300 which was a reasonable price .All arrived then i went to frame the items and my chap tells me that the signatures of the artist has been painted over by the artist i would think to get even with me

I have informed community watch what i would like to know should i open SAPS case for Fraud ,criminal damage to property as well as civil action as as far as i am concerned the paintings became my property after i won the auction at which time she defaced the items and still knowingly sent them to me after altering the item.I did pay by credit card and might be able to reverse the transaction by claimg credit card fraud against the seller any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Vinyl Lady Decals

Wow, this is definitely very bad and not acceptable at all.

If you can get a letter from the framing company verifying this, it will help you.

What I would do is to send this letter together with a request to have the charges reversed by the credit card company.

If the credit card company does not help you, you have a case for the small claims court.

You can also state your case on a website like hello peter.

I would definitely take this further.

selabi

Thanks Tananka

I tried to be reasonable and no luck unfortunatly this makes sellers look bad and add to that this is a well known artist who is respected in her community and i would think that due to there age this kind of action is below them

JPBon

What I don't get is why auction stuff and then be unhappy about the price. We all take chances when listing stuff, but one knows that there is a chance that goods may sell at well below cost. If one isnt prepared to let stuff go at below cost then one shouldnt list the stuff on an auction but rather as a buy now. I find sellers who are unhappy about what there auctions have achieved to be greedy and disgusting. I know when I list stuff what the risks involved are. I still package the stuff properly even if I make a loss.

Selabi1 take it further, you of all people I have dealt with are probably one of the most understanding and reasonable buyers out there. Its always a pleasure dealing with you.

Edited by JPBon

selabi

Hi Jp

Many thanks if any one should be upset you have a good reason i am fortunate enough to have won a number of your great pieces at prices that make me cringe as i know the obstacles you face and never have you complained if people only knew how much you have risked and how proffesional you have handled yourself in every instance you are a true poster child for BOB and your art works are amazing

JPBon
Hi Jp

Many thanks if any one should be upset you have a good reason i am fortunate enough to have won a number of your great pieces at prices that make me cringe as i know the obstacles you face and never have you complained if people only knew how much you have risked and how proffesional you have handled yourself in every instance you are a true poster child for BOB and your art works are amazing

Selabi I dont get upset because I know and accept the risks of listing the items at those prices, so I write it off two advertising. Strange sellers dont complain if they achieve a higher price than what they anticipated. Therefore do not moan if you lose out.

Wild Olive Art

Hi Selabi

Firstly , R1000 for delivery of artwork is a complete rip off . It's a disgrace that the seller even tried that route to make up some money.

Secondly , her behaviour in painting over her signature is extremely unprofessional but you would not have much of a leg to stand on legally unless you can prove beyond doubt that the signatures were painted over after you bought them !

Does the photo in the listing clearly show the artist signature on the painting or state anywhere that the paintings are signed by the artist ?

I think your only recourse in this case would be to try reverse the credit card payment on the grounds that the goods you paid for were defaced before delivery by the artist - but once again, you would need to be able to prove your case.

selabi

Hi Wild olive Art

Many thanks for your input and yes the picture clearly shows her signature I would like nothing more than to warn others of her unprofessional conduct and have in the mean time lodged a complaint with hello Peter and forwarded community watch a copy of my complaint .I have purchased many art works for BOB some at great prices and others not so great prices but i have never had an artist be so petty.I will make it my business to alert all who deal with this artist to these going on as she is quiet well respected in SA and unfortunatly sits in judgement of other artist as part of her domain.You have always honoured your sales even thou some times i am sure your works have not attracted the prices which they deserve and i find this a slap in the face to all SA artist who follow the rules .I will pursue this until some relief is gained i am still waiting for BOB to aknoledge my emails which i sent to them in order to seek there guidance as well why cant all the artist be like yourself and the others whom i have had a great pleasure in dealing with

Seeds for Africa

And if you have the facts. I would put a link on this thread to the item in question, so the seller gets the appropriate recognition for their actions!

JPBon

Its very easy to find just go look at ratings given by Selabi, who is in fact one of my most graceful buyers always has something nice to say and also very understanding. One of his last messages to me was not to rush to the post office but rather to wait till I had something else to post.

lilythepink
And if you have the facts. I would put a link on this thread to the item in question, so the seller gets the appropriate recognition for their actions!

An excellent idea!

Kit W

Hi selabi1

I have just read, with much interest, the bad deal that you have experienced. I would take legal action against the seller and actually NAME & SHAME in this thread to warn prospective buyers. Disgusting :disgusted: to say the least

Good luck

Kit

ClickandShip

Sjoe! This sucks! Name & Shame please... or at least a link to the item so that we can view the Signature signed in disappearing finger paint..:razz:

Wild Olive Art

I am sure most of us selling here on BOB have at one time or another sold an items/ items for well under the value or for well under what the item is worth. We all know that the crazy auctions are a risk . I personally have had the experience of selling a painting for R1 !! Horrifying - but I believe perseverance and honesty paid off !

Usually , once buyers see that a seller has integrity and I think particularly with art , that the work is high quality and the artist is worth investing in, demand for the work increases and the prices go up.

This kind of behaviour by this artist is an embarrassment to the art world and I feel it should be exposed , particularly as one who sits in judgement of fellow artists. Shameful !!

Vegar

Interestingly the listing says TWO paintings ... and I don't see the artists name mentioned anywhere ???

Have you sent the seller a link to this thread?

This surely is a case of fraud - it occurs to me that perhaps the seller lied about it being her work ....

selabi

I would like to thank you all for your input i did try and make a reply but think i hit the wrong button i have informed the seller to remedy this at there expenses and am awaiting a reply as yet nothing i have also loaded this sage at Hello Peter and informed BOB I do hope the seller does the right thing if not i will post all the details i have and let the chips fall where they may.I can say that i do not sell any of the art i have collected they are cherised in my home and i would hate to resort to being petty about this as it does not suite any one let alone artist

selabi

Update

Well i can happily report the artist in this case has contacted me and expressed that at the time they where angry and made a mistake and she has arranged for the paintings to be collected today and returned to her where she will sign them and return them at her own cost.My belief in man kind doing the right thing is restored .I appreciate all the input recieved many thanks

JPBon

Im glad the issue is being resolved.

Wild Olive Art

That is good news . It's a shame that you had to go to the lengths you did to get a positive outcome especially as the artist had nobody to blame but herself for not getting the price she wanted for the work.

A good lesson for all of us that anger is seldom constructive !

Libertas Computers
where angry and made a mistake

That's all I'm saying..