Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

What a lovely day to go Phishing.

wayjen    10
wayjen

I just took a look in my spam box and I see another phishing attempt on the car we had on BoB. This guy wants me to confirm the item by clicking on the link. He also introduced himself as John but signed off as Matt.

He sent 2 emails to me.

Be careful people.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

I must get 20 scam mails a day. From banks, 419 scams etc etc. How do you get rid of them? Considering changing my email!

wayjen    10
wayjen

i found mine in my spam file maybe you can filter them.

Howard Neill    10
Howard Neill

There seems to be a rash of ABSA phishing attempts. It's so boring.

kebs    10
kebs

I've recently discovered the joys of creating mail rules with outlook express - no more spam! All filtered & immediately deleted.. John then Matt huh? Identity crisis? :notrust:

wayjen    10
wayjen
I've recently discovered the joys of creating mail rules with outlook express - no more spam! All filtered & immediately deleted.. John then Matt huh? Identity crisis? :notrust:

seems to be. I was thinking of replying to the email without opening the link and see what happens. The car was sold beginning of Feb or end of January.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
i found mine in my spam file maybe you can filter them.

This is probably going to produce more grey hairs on my head but as far as "spam" mail is concerned, if I don't recognise the name of the sender I delete it without even looking at the email. On the score of "spam" mail, Hellkom are over-efficient but hats off to them (for once I am paying them a compliment!)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

A split personality? :rolleyes:

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi guys

This is a terrible problem and they say its only going to get worse.

I've found a free little program called Mailwasher.

It allows you to decide where you want to download the email before it is downloaded to your PC and it gets rid of spam.

wayjen    10
wayjen

my spam filter seems to work.

mellowred    10
mellowred
Hi guys

This is a terrible problem and they say its only going to get worse.

I've found a free little program called Mailwasher.

It allows you to decide where you want to download the email before it is downloaded to your PC and it gets rid of spam.

Best software ever Tananka.

The added benefit is if you have limited Gigs you can tick any mails you can't download and by eliminating all the spam you save quite a few mb each day.

Tananka, have you gone onto the paid version? My only problem is that if you tick something you shouldn't have you can't re-access it. Does the paid version allow you to go back to the deleted items and download them. It's pretty cheap so I was wondering if it was worth paying for.

Howard Neill    10
Howard Neill

I had Mailwasher for about a year. Initially, I had the free version then switched to the paid version. I would inspect each email in Mailwasher before downloading, then download the ones I wanted, using Outlook Express. I did not renew Mailwasher. I am back to downloading everything into Outlook Express and ruthlessly delete any email which looks vaguely suspicious.

As a rule, I do not open attachments or click on links. That includes friends who send Hallmark cards etc.

At the start of each day, I set a restore point on my computer. If it starts acting differently, or running slowly, I run a restore back to that point. That method has keep my computer happy for about 6 years, touch wood.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals
Best software ever Tananka.

The added benefit is if you have limited Gigs you can tick any mails you can't download and by eliminating all the spam you save quite a few mb each day.

Tananka, have you gone onto the paid version? My only problem is that if you tick something you shouldn't have you can't re-access it. Does the paid version allow you to go back to the deleted items and download them. It's pretty cheap so I was wondering if it was worth paying for.

Hi Mellowred

Yes, I believe the paid version does allow you to get back those you deleted by mistake, but I haven't tried it.

admin    0
admin
I just took a look in my spam box and I see another phishing attempt on the car we had on BoB. This guy wants me to confirm the item by clicking on the link. He also introduced himself as John but signed off as Matt.

He sent 2 emails to me.

Be careful people.

Hi All,

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINK IN THIS POST !

Please do NOT click on the link in these emails from the person "interested" in your item. This is what the email will look like :

Sent: 04 March 2011 02:13 PM

To:

Subject: RE: BASHAN 250CC 4STROKE QUAD BIKE LIKE NEW WITH ELECTRIC START

Hi again, Thank you for your email. I want to be sure that is yours:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/33688153/km_One_Owner_2006_Model.html

Please confirm me that the item from the link is yours so i can buy it.

Thanks, and i will wait for your answer.

Julia

This is where the link actually takes you : -http://log-bidorbuy.co.za.qipim.ru/loginUserLogin.jsp.html.html- clearly not the bidorbuy website !

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

If you click on the link you will also get a free virus.

BitDefender 2010

This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time Protection!

The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been infected.

admin    0
admin

Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

My anti-virus program is more specific :toung:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
If you click on the link you will also get a free virus.

BitDefender 2010

This web page has been blocked by BitDefender Antivirus Real-time Protection!

The web page blocked by BitDefender included objects that were either infected or likely to be infected with a virus. Your system has NOT been infected.

I also use BitDefender (have done for the past 3 years) and couldn't be happier! They certainly are top of the pops on my computer and well worth every cent I pay them once a year.