Sign in to follow this  
Libertas Computers

Hard Drive for Server

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers

Hi all,

I am in the process of selling a customer a server, and he requests that it must be able to use a RAID configuration.

Now, as much as I know about normal computers, I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to servers.

The original idea was using an Intel Xeon chip with a supported motherboard that also supports the requested RAID levels asked for. Then on top of that we were going to use a Western Digital Raid Edition hard drive along with it, but I just got word that the hard drive is now EOL.

My question is, is it necessary to use a RAID hard drive for a server or will any hard drive actually do seeing how the motherboard is RAID ready?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

wayjen    10
wayjen

Fred, if no one can help on the forum I can recommend some guys that could maybe help you with the info.

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin
Hi all,

I am in the process of selling a customer a server, and he requests that it must be able to use a RAID configuration.

Now, as much as I know about normal computers, I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to servers.

The original idea was using an Intel Xeon chip with a supported motherboard that also supports the requested RAID levels asked for. Then on top of that we were going to use a Western Digital Raid Edition hard drive along with it, but I just got word that the hard drive is now EOL.

My question is, is it necessary to use a RAID hard drive for a server or will any hard drive actually do seeing how the motherboard is RAID ready?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

I think it depends on what your customer requires. If it is supposed to be a "proper" server where redundancy plays a role, I would only stick with server grade drives. You will get away with some desktop-grade drives (have a look here: Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience -).

I would be careful about motherboards "supporting" RAID. Most of them do this only on a software RAID basis and much of it will not work on some operating systems. A proper configuration would use a dedicated RAID card (which will go for 4K alone).

Alternatively you might look at NAS (such as the Synology link, but there is also QNAP, Buffalo etc) which might offer better pricing.

anerstemens    10
anerstemens

I have wriiten on numerous forums about software raid or "CHEAP" ONBOARD RAID, If you are thinking about RAID built into the motherboard, first try to avoid it. We in the trade call it "FakeRAID" and there are a lot of stories about it "losing" configuration information and hosing volumes. Motherboard RAID is little more than a cheap implementation of sub-par software RAID. I do how ever know you are trying to keep it cost efficient I don’t even quote for onboard raid since it has away to bite you in the … if you want real RAID you're going to pay more (it will have onboard battery backup and should have a way of telling you WHICH drive is erroring out if there is more than one or if you’re upgrading the server, doing maintenance. If you are still going to use software raid can I suggest using a linux server…? That atleast solves some operating system clashes that mcmuffin is talking about.

Regards

Edited by anerstemens
spelling oi afrikaans boytjie

anerstemens    10
anerstemens

oh and before I get bashed my spelling is really bad so sorry

Libertas Computers    10
Libertas Computers

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the replies. As far as I know the servers aren't business crucial to the client. He said they will be used for about 5 months and then phased out. I did mention to him the RAID controller vs RAID onboard issue when making the original quotation and he said that it is fine as the mb supports it.

OS wise they are strong on going for Windows Server 2008 (I assume that is what the IT tech knows).

On the HD side I sent him an email with a 'replacement' of a Seagate drive that is for 24/7 surveillance and business critical applications such as NAS. And is also one of the supported drives on the link (thanks Mac)

Thanks for the suggestions though, it's much appreciated.

Fred

PS - anerstemens, my spelling isn't as great either, that's why I use Google chrome though (spell check)