Sign in to follow this  
Erinys

Postage

Erinys    10
Erinys

I truly believe that BOB should control the "postage fees". Too many sellers are making a huge profit off the postage costs.

That is why it is called an auction. If I am lucky enough to win an item at R1-00 or R10-00 I will have to compensate on the high postage fees.

It is no longer a bargain.

If you look at overseas sites eg. Ebay, most of the postage is free if posted in the same country.

TheJeweller    10
TheJeweller

Bravo Erinys!

I am all the way with you.

JPBon    10
JPBon

Its easy, you as the buyer vote with your purchase. If you do not support those who charge excessive postage then, they will be forced to re think their prices.

In total so far I have made losses on Postage and Packaging.

brands online    10
brands online

Bravo JPBon!

I'll never understand why buyers complain when they can choose whether to purchase/bid or not.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I could easily offer "free postage", but then the price of ALL my items would have to increase to cover the overheads - SAPO fee, plastic bags, packaging (bubblewrap, brown paper, tape, etc), padded envelopes, stationery, petrol, BoB fees, internet fees, Telkom line fees, labour, etc.

It is far easier for the seller and "cheaper" for the buyer for the seller to actually charge a reasonable fee without charging a combining fee, than to go the free postage route.

Let's say for argument's sake that you take 100 items into a single parcel. This could cost you R38 flat rate postage (our fees) with zero combining fees, in addition to the already very competitively (low) priced items that you bought. Or the items could be priced ridiculously high to cover all the "hidden" costs and you pay zero postage. Or what about "free initial postage" plus a R1 combining fee per item? On 100 items your shipping is already R100!

In all honesty, would you pay a higher price online due to "free postage" or actually go to town and pop into a local shop which supplies the same item at a lower cost and fetch it yourself? You probably would not even bother looking online!

CCG for one is regarded as one of the cheapest bead sellers in SA (especially with the Swarovski range of products which is expanding all the time) plus our sterling silver jewellery and other crystals, gemstones, etc are also considerably cheaper than most shops out there... And believe me you can get one hell of a lot of beads / gems to take you to the 1kg maximum mark for your parcel - all for R38 packaged, labelled, and delivered (hopefully) safely to your nearest post office?

A good international supplier did a calculation on their shipping fees taking into account all the overheads that this fee covers - and the buyer actually comes out tops! Most sellers who charge under R40 for the 1kg parcel usually take a loss on shipping already. Our rates have remained unchanged for the past 4 years, and I'll have to wait to see what the new SAPO increase is in a month's time to see if I'll be forced to increase our rates or not. If the increase is less than R2 per package, then I usually absorb the cost myself as a favour to the buyer.

JPBon    10
JPBon
Bravo JPBon!

I'll never understand why buyers complain when they can choose whether to purchase/bid or not.

I have been monitoring the complaints about postage costs over the last few months, over 90% of them are for items that are won at what I would reckon well below the sellers cost. The Buyer has bought basically cause he/she has gotten a lucky bargain but then resents having to pay for the postage.

On average I probably spend an extra R10-15 on a small parcel just in wrapping etc.

SProducts    10
SProducts
I truly believe that BOB should control the "postage fees". Too many sellers are making a huge profit off the postage costs.

That is why it is called an auction. If I am lucky enough to win an item at R1-00 or R10-00 I will have to compensate on the high postage fees.

It is no longer a bargain.

If you look at overseas sites eg. Ebay, most of the postage is free if posted in the same country.

Most of the items they offer free shipping on Ebay is because they are Buy Now and some the auctions starts at a set amount. Some sellers who offer on 0.99 its because they know the item is a best seller and they will make their profit anyway. I do offer free shipping sometimes, but this is on Buy Now and the shipping is already included in the price.

I have also noticed most of the buyers who win auction at cost or below cost, they have problems in paying for shipping. Especially those who win something for R1.00, they dont want to pay R35.00 for shipping even though it was there before they bid.

I agree with everyone, if a buyer feels shipping is too much and then why bid and complain?

kebs    10
kebs

I have to agree - as long as postage costs are shown, why complain after you win? :confused: I have paid some high postage before, but I worked out before I bid what I could bid up to to ensure I still got the item/s at less than what I would've paid at a shop. So I still got a bargain.. If you feel a seller has unreasonable postage fees, then report them to community watch & let them investigate. Otherwise just don't bid & eventually the seller will realise that buyers will not fall for the postage scam. Also, ebay set the costs allowed for local delivery on certain items, but if you read through their forums, they also lost a lot of sellers because of this. Most people felt the postage allowed did not adequately cover their expenses, especially if they wanted to add extra wrapping to protect the item. For casual sellers, this made it unprofitable to continue selling on that site. I think bidorbuy has the right idea when it comes to postage - leave it up to the buyer to show the cost, the seller to decide if it's worth it, & the community to report unreasonable charges..

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Total agreement from me. If you are not happy with the terms and conditions - dont bid. Nobody is forcing you to.

I charge R35 on an econo parcel and get complaints. Look at the costs now.

1) I pay R 18.10 postage.

2) I include insurance, so thats 2% cost to me of what the person buys, so on a R100 order that costs me R2.

3) I use boxes that cost R 5.85.

4) I use wrapping paper that costs R 2 per parcel.

5) Then you have tape, shipping labels, bubble wrap etc - Add R3 for that.

That all comes to 30.95. So the balance I have to cover my time and costs to the post office is R 4.05.

Thats hardly unreasonable.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Very unfair of SONIC ELECTRONIC to give 1st time buyer a negative rating for not reading his shipping charges. I mean R380+ for shipping on an item she could have paid R50 in some China Shops. That's also some of the reasons buyers are getting more sceptical about bid or buy and we as sellers are loosing customers

brands online    10
brands online
Very unfair of SONIC ELECTRONIC to give 1st time buyer a negative rating for not reading his shipping charges. I mean R380+ for shipping on an item she could have paid R50 in some China Shops. That's also some of the reasons buyers are getting more sceptical about bid or buy and we as sellers are loosing customers

In defence of the seller and no, I don't know them at all, the seller is verified with over 99% positive ratings. The seller is also authorized by BOB to dropship and very clearly states his/her terms and postage conditions and charges on the ad. It remains the buyer's responsibility to 'read' before bidding/buying. Aslo, if she could have paid R50 in a China Shop, then why buy it here in the first place? Placing a bid/buying is an acceptance of the terms of auction.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Out of interest sakes, what was the item that you refer to?