Sign in to follow this  
Chippy Crew

Overcharging on postage costs

Chippy Crew    10
Chippy Crew

I would like to know whether it is an accepted practice to augment your sales income with overcharging on postage? I had the experience where a seller charged R120.00 postage for 3 pocket knives, which will weigh less than 500 grams together. If it is, it basically boils down to making money with overcharged postage costs rather than the selling of goods.

Edited by Chippy Crew

JPBon    10
JPBon

Bid or Buy frowns upon this and will take action if it is reported to them.

Chippy Crew    10
Chippy Crew

The seller wrote me that I have won the bids far below the retail value of the items and would be so kind as to discount me R35.00 off the postage, only having to pay R85.00 postage for the three items. Which is still very high according to the publicized rates of the SA Post Office. I still suspect that there is extra profit to be had in the postage amount.:notrust:. Please advise.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

If the postage is R 35 per item registered or econoparcel then that is not exhorbitant-If his terms and conditions state no combining and postage must be paid for each item then he is entitled to charge accordingly and you must then read these terms and decide whether you wish to buy or not.

What you can insist on then is that each item is packaged and posted seperately so the seller will not make that much extra (THE PO WILL SCORE) and may then accomodate you with a better negotiated postage rate for all combined between the the two of you-

NEIL

Chippy Crew    10
Chippy Crew

Package received and costs is as follows: Postage - R 18.15. Weight: 0.480kg. Packaging: 1 x A5 Jiffy Lite bubble envelope(Ref. C/0), 10 x 10 cm bubble wrap and approximitly 10cm of cellotype. Original postage price was R120.00 and was discounted to R85.00. Do you think I am unreasonable to think the postage was a bit on the high side. I even more suspect that there is extra profit to be had in the postage amount.

JPBon    10
JPBon

Report it to Bid or buy via email with all details.

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

I am sorry, but I do not think that Bidorbuy will rule in your favour. The listings of the seller clearly states that postage amounts to R50,00 for the first item and R35,00 for each additional item. You accepted this fees when you made the purchase. Learn from this lesson and rather make sure before you place a bid.

brands online    10
brands online
I am sorry, but I do not think that Bidorbuy will rule in your favour. The listings of the seller clearly states that postage amounts to R50,00 for the first item and R35,00 for each additional item. You accepted this fees when you made the purchase. Learn from this lesson and rather make sure before you place a bid.

I agree, if the charges were displayed upfront, they should have been questioned upfront, not after the items are purchased.

bitesize    10
bitesize

if it's less than 1kg and the parcel isn't past a certain size then econoparcel is under R20, over that for the items I would say at the most R30.20. that is a serious over charge issue. but, as stated above, if the charges are clearly stated then there is nothing that can be done. you can report when it appears too high but other than that, if you knew beforehand you don't have much of a leg to stand on. sorry. personally i would say that the shipping price is near that of couriers.