Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

78 LP's

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Ok, so I think I've gotten myself into a little bit of a muddle... went to a "live" auction today and ended up walking out with more than I was planning to. Included was two albums of 78 lp's - and I didn't even look at the lot before I bought it!

There are 14 records between the two albums - 12 are HMV, 1 Decca and 1 Parlophone Odeon Series.

Does anyone know if these have any value or if they are even "collectable"? I'm in the dark on this one... totally out of my league!

Howard Neill    10
Howard Neill

Being an old fart, I have "walked the walk", with records. As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as 78 lp's. When I was born, in 1943, you had 78 RPM records. Those were the only records I knew. They came in 10 inch and 12 inch. They were made of hard, brittle substance. They rotated at 78 RPM.

They were replaced, in the 1950s with 33.3 RPM vinyl LPs.

Sorry, but I can't help you with values.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Hi Cali - Howard is perfectly right. 78's and LP's are two different things! And as far as old records and LP's are concerned, a whole lot depends on condition, whether they are original releases, and if the music is still popular as ever today.

So values will be relative - try putting one or two on Crazy Wednesay or Snap Friday and see what prices you get! (Postage will be about R32.00 per single record but otherwise, if you sell a whole lot all in one go, weigh them and work out postage on the whole lot). Good luck\

@Howard - you are definitely not an old fart!

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks - I realised this morning when reading my entry that I'd worded it incorrectly - definitely records and not lp's! (perhaps I should get to bed earlier - Thurs morning I was still packing parcels at 3am)

These records are definitely very heavy and I was amazed to see how thick they actually were. I'll give them a chance on BoB, and if there are no takers, then I'll drag them with on my next trip to CT and offer them to the antique shops around there.

babyface2    10
babyface2
Thanks - I realised this morning when reading my entry that I'd worded it incorrectly - definitely records and not lp's! (perhaps I should get to bed earlier - Thurs morning I was still packing parcels at 3am)

These records are definitely very heavy and I was amazed to see how thick they actually were. I'll give them a chance on BoB, and if there are no takers, then I'll drag them with on my next trip to CT and offer them to the antique shops around there.

hi cali, i sell 78 speed records, not that i know which is collectable or anything else. take a chance and list each one at R5.00 each if there is a collectable one you are sure to get high prices as i have before. postage should be about R40.00 as the are quite tricky to pack to ensure they arrive whole at the other side. they are not as easy to pack as lps. hope this helps

Cali Craft and Gems

I've done some research and discovered that most of the records are quite collectable due to their age / rarity. (they all date back to pre-1932!)

Only two titles out of the fourteen were listed online elsewhere and their asking prices are $15 to $35 each, so to "give them away" at R5 is out of the question.

I'm handing over the "collectables" side of my selling to hubby so that I can concentrate on the gems, etc. It's about time hubby learnt how to list on BoB so that he can help me out a bit, and earn some pocket money for himself too. (he's ready to tell his boss where to go jump - he doesn't have to work, but it keeps him out of my hair if he goes out for the day! LOL)

GPOEL    10
GPOEL

78 's

78 speed records are not very sought after in our country, EXCEPT if they are of Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly... , Afrikaans or a local black language. THOSE are very valuable. Other 78 records are collectable only to overseas buyers....if you can target them you will sell them for sure.. I had nearly a 1000 at one stage and all of them I had to sell abroad. Regards

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I totally agree with GPOEL

Except for a couple of exceptions, most of the 78’s are common and very difficult to sell. I buy them in at my shop only if I have to (when they come with a big collection of better items) and normally sell the ordinary ones at R5-00 each. Even at this price they do not sell very fast.

Regards

Jacques