Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Allowing collections and making deliveries

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Some comment here would be appreciated. I had a case today where I sold an item. As a rule I do not allow collections on most products that I manufacture due to trade agreements with my customers. Anyways a person bought a product and seeming it is about 10km from my factory, I offered to deliver it after hours - in the opposite direction I live. The customer gratefully accepted and then had a problem with my delivery charge which I said would be the same as the postage charge. The amount in question is R 70. Its going to take me an hour in peak traffic to deliver this. I dont think R70 for my time and mileage is excessive and a heck of a lot more convenient for the buyer getting it delivered to the door.

Wont make the same mistake by offering this again!

And before I get shot down for excessive postage charges - it is a large item!

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels
Some comment here would be appreciated. I had a case today where I sold an item. As a rule I do not allow collections on most products that I manufacture due to trade agreements with my customers. Anyways a person bought a product and seeming it is about 10km from my factory, I offered to deliver it after hours - in the opposite direction I live. The customer gratefully accepted and then had a problem with my delivery charge which I said would be the same as the postage charge. The amount in question is R 70. Its going to take me an hour in peak traffic to deliver this. I dont think R70 for my time and mileage is excessive and a heck of a lot more convenient for the buyer getting it delivered to the door.

Wont make the same mistake by offering this again!

And before I get shot down for excessive postage charges - it is a large item!

:idea:I charge between R120.00 and R220.00 depending on where it has to be delivered. Reason being is that i have to fix my car if it breaks and petrol costs and time, if you couriered it would have been more. It is a favour you are doing and the client don't have to wait 5 days, so R70.00 is very much a good deal imo that is!

PS! Speed Services Bags alone costs that much and Door to Door even more, think about that!

JPBon    10
JPBon

I agree, I have delivered before and no one has moaned.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I don't think you're wrong in this case.

Any furniture shop would charge much more than that, the average in Durban is R150.00 for in Durban only, not even going a little bit out of the city.

Just tell your buyer to find out what any furniture shop would charge and you'll quickly see how they back down.

Most sellers don't do deliveries or allow collections for good reason.

It is a security risk if a buyer knows your physical address, apparently there were some bad confrontations that took place in the past and this is the reason why BoB has taken seller's addresses off Buyer's Orders.

Another reason is that some buyers will make an appointment to fetch the goods and not arrive, or arrive late and still expect you the seller to be dutifully waiting for them.

Most sellers also have a normal day job, so collections and deliveries are impractical.

I never allow it for my own safety and my time is incredibly tight, normal job and bidorbuy job.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

To be honest, i would just rather not do it. It is a hassle factor that I dont need. Will just not offer it again!

JPBon    10
JPBon

Ok mine have mostly been to nice people. So I have been lucky.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Dont get me wrong.... wouldnt say the person wasnt nice, just not understanding of the fact that vehicles cost something to run and time is money!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Need to get my frustration off my chest! An update to the buyer who doesnt think they should pay for delivery! Get a question on another item that I am selling this morning from same buyer. After 8 messages back and forth, they order the item. Not an hour later I get an email back saying they dont want the second order anymore as they already have it! I reply no problem, I will file an snc after 7 days and it is cancelled. Then an hour later I get a message saying that they have been robbed of everything and no longer want the first order that I was going to deliver. Replied and said I will cancel the orders when I can.

I must have spent 2 hours and 20 emails back and forth, including an email from the buyer giving me address details. This email was over 15mb in size and included a picture of the buyers house! :wtf: Yes a photo of the buyers house!

This gives me an absolute reminder why I never deliver! Absolute waste of time! My suspicious mind tells me the said buyer never intended buying in the first place and the story about being robbed is dubious!

Moral of the story here - will never deliver again!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

Got my timing wrong in the previous post. I just checked my emails. The buyer emailed me at 12.24 to cancel the 1st order. Then emailed me at 12.43 to tell me that she had been robbed. So in 19 minutes, she left her computer - got robbed - and composed herself to get back to the computer to email me with the story. :wtf: Is it just me being overly suspicious or do others think this is a bs story!

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace
Got my timing wrong in the previous post. I just checked my emails. The buyer emailed me at 12.24 to cancel the 1st order. Then emailed me at 12.43 to tell me that she had been robbed. So in 19 minutes, she left her computer - got robbed - and composed herself to get back to the computer to email me with the story. :wtf: Is it just me being overly suspicious or do others think this is a bs story!

No, it sounds to me as though you are well rid of this buyer and thank your lucky stars that she didn't come to collect!

Some people come to buy things which are advertised and just survey the building. Happened to our son in Cape Town once when he had a lounge suite to sell. Advertised it in the newspaper and the "buyer" came to see it - such a sweet young lass (or so I thought). I was alone at the house so took her inside and offered her a cup of tea. Conversation took place and she learned that I was leaving Cape Town in two days' time - guess what, the house got burgled three days later.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

wayjen    10
wayjen

well well, same person with the messed up head is playing the field here.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
well well, same person with the messed up head is playing the field here.

The sad thing is that bob will ban her and she will just pop up causing the same nonsense with a new user name!

wayjen    10
wayjen
The sad thing is that bob will ban her and she will just pop up causing the same nonsense with a new user name!

they will find her, we waiting for any further emails from her and then we will ask how she paid for the new purchases.

Pathway    10
Pathway

Thanks for the topic, I was going to write in and ask for advice about someone fetching something. But what I've read here amkes perfect sense, and I won't do it.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

My general rule is NO collections whatsoever, but there is one BoB buyer who I allow to my house - and she was a shop customer before I started trading on BoB so I trust her anyway.

But even though I clearly state no collections, I still get asked when the person can collect the item, then get attitude when I remind them that I do not allow collections even if you stay in the next street. I have in the past offered to deliver the item to the person within a certain km span from my home / office, but I do charge for this!

Last month I had a woman request a delivery as she stayed about 2km from me so I quoted her accordingly (tiny amount), then she said "great - but please deliver it to another address" - mind you a good few km further into town! I requoted the delivery fee, then she changed the dates for possible delivery. No-one was home when I did get around to the "new" address, so I left it in a safe place and have not heard a peep since.

From now on though, zero deliveries and zero collections (with the exception of "you know who you are!")...

JPBon    10
JPBon

I allow collections but never let the people into my house as such as my dogs would have them for dinner, and I'm not joking they do not like strangers. Normally I just meet them down the road as my house is hard to find anyways.

bitesize    10
bitesize

i have only allowed maybe two collections in the past and only because i was a newbie. i also had a buyer (not through bid or buy) who thought i would be alone but i wasn't. it's just not safe or practical either way. the only time i may consider it is if the item is of a large, and i mean hugely large, value. then i would go out of my way to make certain it is delivered to the buyer.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Good thing they didn't take the pc......

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Good thing they didn't take the pc......

Thks to Admin, buyer now blacklisted. She was also messing Wayjen around.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

these kind of people do it. im not allowed to say who they are but they never have money when they need to pay and are always cancelling and telling you theyve got it already, the most untrustworthy type of person living in south africa today.