Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Griqua Medal awarded to Andries Waterboer in 1825

Pierre_Henri

I know that Scott Balson (who has done extensive research on the Griqua People) will find this an interesting topic.

But anyone is obviously more than welcome to participate and take a guess at my question that will follow ...

In 1825 Cape Governor Lord Charles Somerset, presented a medal to the leader of the Griquas, Andries Waterboer, as a token of friendship between the Cape Government and the Griqua people.

The large medal (oval shaped) depicts a European shaking hands with a Griqua. I think this medal is also mentioned in South African Orders, Decorations and Medals (1985) and also in Stephan Welz’s Cape Silver and Silversmiths (1976)

Now for our little competition without a prize!

Please see the following two scans...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/Waterboer.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/Waterboer1.jpg

My question is the following: From what book in my collection did I scan these from?

It was published in 1973 and covers Coins, Commemorative Medals, Bank Notes and other collectables from South Africa.

Pierre

Little Miss Muffet

Antiques and collectables in South Africa

Pierre_Henri

Not the right answer....

Nope...

Guest Guest

Hi Pierre

Know about the medal - and have seen its pic in books but do not know the book you scanned it from above.

The real action at this time was happening in what is called the Orange Free State.....

Extract "Children of the Mist"

-----------------

In 1825 Dr Philip sent a messenger up to Dam’s camp north of the Modder River, inviting the outlaw Kaptyn to come and settle the large region he had been entrusted with. Unsettled and with no clear future in the region now ruled by Waterboer, Dam quickly accepted the offer to view this new land, as it would be beyond Waterboer’s jurisdiction and the crumbling Griqua community at Griqua Town. On the 25th August 1825 Dam Kok II rode down accompanied by Hendrik Hendriks and a few Bergenaars, and met with Dr Philip on the banks of the Alexander River. The meeting with Dr Philip was held on a perfect spring day under the setting sun. Lucas said that he had been told it was an extraordinary occasion. The missionary only served tea and had no brandy. Hendriks, who had a real thirst for brandy, was beside himself as none of the precious amber liquid was to be found among those who had gathered there to discuss their future.

After getting assurances from Kok that he would protect the Bushmen, Dr Philip offered him the entire region stretching south of the Modder River to the banks of the Orange River. It was a massive region when joined with the lands he already occupied north of the Modder River – effectively the entire area known as the Orange Free State – and too good for Dam to refuse. That night Dr Philip washed his hands of the Bushmen, signing away the lands he had been entrusted with, and giving them to the Kaptyn, who would play an instrumental role in the extermination of the very people that he had agreed to protect.

Now satisfied the Bushmen would be safe, Dr Philip packed up his belongings and prepared to return to Cape Town to inform the Governor that he had ceded his land to Dam Kok’s Griquas. The future of the Bushmen was bleak indeed; it was now in the hands of the Griquas. Dam took possession of his new home in Philippolis in June 1826, while Hendriks travelled north to the Modder River and helped the men, women and children, including January, pack up and trek down to their new home.

----------------------

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

Cold Sea

Africana notes and news:

Africana aantekeninge en nuus, Volume 19

Pierre_Henri

Cold Sea, you may be partly right, as the book I am referring to was compiled by Anna H. Smith in 1973 from lectures given by staff members of the Johannesburg Public Library and the Africana Museum from October 1968 to December 1968 to the public for the Institute of Adult Studies.

They were arranged originally at the request of Mrs. P.M. Wentzel, the Secretary of the Institute.

The nearly 30 pages on South African Paper Money was written by RF Kennedy, the chapter on Commemorative medals by L.J de Wet, and the Coins of the ZAR by M.B. Chapman. (There are also other chapters on other SA collectables like Cape almanacs and even collecting Johannesburgiana)

Here is the cover of this fascinating book

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/Pierrex/africana.jpg

Regards

Pierre

Guest Guest

Anna H Smith

Hi Pierre

What a lovely book!

Anna H Smith also compiled the comprehensive African Museum's "Commemorative Medals of the ZAR". The 200 page, soft covered book was published in 1958. Anna was a prolific writer and loved researching medals.

Of course E J Maynard from the Africana Museum compiled the book on token coins - "Tokens of Southern Africa" (1968). I am fortunate to have one of the few hard bound copies of this rare book - most were soft bound.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Pierre_Henri

Old Bank Notes of South Africa

An interesting mention in the book, is that on page 66, the chapter on SA bank notes, it states ...

"The catalogue , South African Paper Money 1782 -1921, was issued in stencil form in a small edition, and very soon became unobtainable..."

Does anyone out there know about this book?

Pierre

Little Miss Muffet
An interesting mention in the book, is that on page 66, the chapter on SA bank notes, it states ...

"The catalogue , South African Paper Money 1782 -1921, was issued in stencil form in a small edition, and very soon became unobtainable..."

Does anyone out there know about this book?

Pierre

I had this book lying in my cubboard fro years and listed it on Bob. user "payless" bought it. I never used it so decided to move it. Sounds similar to what you mention.--Attached images---" A history of regular and emergency paper money in South Africa. Looks like author Berman 1971

58f5a720a52ae_681725_100123183905amp.jpg.f2ee1cace785d06740f07401b5c72c69.jpg

58f5a720a9ddc_681725_100123183123amp.jpg.852026269cf8bb0c6ec07512fae9cd2e.jpg

Edited by geewhizz