Sign in to follow this  
splendid100

Advice for UK seller please

splendid100    10
splendid100

Hello

I have just registered with Bid or Buy. I live in the UK and trade on eBay (selling stamps and similar collectables). I found Bid or Buy and joined so I can buy or sell stamps here. I have been reading the rules and I am unclear whether I am able to use PayPal. Obviously, living in England I don't have a South African bank account so PayPal would be best for me. If not PayPal what are the options? How do I send or receive payments?

Apart from trading, I joined because I will be visiting Africa later this year (mainly Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa) and wanted to get a feel for the local culture. Tips on local customs would be very welcome -- for example, in the UK we often send free gifts with eBay items as a 'Thank You' to the buyer. Do you do that in South Africa or do you just send the item described in the auction?

With many thanks for your help.

Best wishes, splendid100

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Hello Splendid100 - and welcome to the forum.

The Paypal system is available in SA so, yes, you could use that as a method of payment from your buyers. However, if you want to pay a seller you would have to check first that they are registered on the Paypal system or have another type of payment method you can utilise (to check this you would need to "ask the seller a question" before you place a bid.

It is entirely at a seller's discretion here as to whether a free gift is included as a "thank you" with goods purchased. Many sellers do this as a courtesy, especially to new buyers so as to make their first few buying experiences happy ones. Also when substantial purchases are made it seems appropriate to include a free gift. However, not all sellers provide free gifts.

You can look forward to a great trip to South Africa - there are so many things to do but in the various provinces things can be so different so it is difficult to tell you about "customs" without knowing exactly what places you intend to visit.

Edited by lilythepink