Sign in to follow this  
mellowred

Opinions on internet service providers - who do you suggest?

mellowred

We are moving soon, and I'll have to take up a new internet service provider as my present provider is in Cape Town and does not have a lot of towers this side of the world. I need ± 3G per month with an average speed. This is what I'm used to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1191[/ATTACH]

I've searched different options, but to be honest all the jargon just confuses me. Would like to avoid a Telkom land line so ADSL am looking at any other option.

My cell phone contract expires this month so if I can combine internet and calls on a cell phone contract/pay as you go that would suit me. However I also need the cheapest option possible.

MacMuffin

I would look at CellC if coverage in your area is good. They offer 12 months contracts @ 149/299 (2GB/5GB pm).

mellowred

Thanks Mac. Consider your opinion an expert one so will check CellC out right now.

MacMuffin
Thanks Mac. Consider your opinion an expert one so will check CellC out right now.

I do suggest that if you know someone with a CellC stick to come to your house and test the speed in the morning/evening/weekends to make sure that you are happy.

kyle2

That Cell C Woooosh thing seems to be a very good deal at the moment, if you pre-pay R1400, you get the 24 Gig upfront for the year(as I understand it) and you don't pay a service fee. The only hiccup is that it is not available in all areas yet, the East Rand is still being set up in patches for this facility.

It seems to be the fastest GSM Internet connection for now as well.

mellowred

Thanks for the info Kyle and Mac. To be honest I had always assumed that CellC was the "inferior" of the three providers. Will check out the Wooosh thing - see if it includes the dongle.

Stupid Q, I have a friend with a Cell C phone connection. If his phone connects with no problem will the internet connect too? :blush:

kyle2

That dongle modem thing is included in the 1400, and it is much much faster than any cellphone would be.

mellowred
That dongle modem thing is included in the 1400, and it is much much faster than any cellphone would be.

Wonderful. And I love your professional jargon .... LOL ... I CAN understand it. :cheesy:

Libertas Computers

Hi there..

Sorry if this is quite a late reply, but yes, cheapest is Cell C by far. I am using it myself since the start, it had a few hickups, but it's all been sorted. They had a problem where you were unable to connect for I'd say 3 hours on the 10th of Feb and they then decided to reset all the customers' cap to 5Gb as if nothing have been used. I'm using 2Gb, so you can imagine my delight when that happened. Customer Care wise they really are way ahead of the rest.

As Mac said though, make sure you have reception, check your area on the website and if you're not sure about your area (even if they state you have full coverage) just ask them to come test it for you.

mellowred

Thanks Libertas. I have checked the website and it seems there is coverage in Napier (where we are moving). Napier is right on the edge of the reception area so I guess I'll have to test it at the house somehow.

There is a Vodacom Tower in the town and I've been told all networks run off the Vodacom tower. But it seems that Cell C reception is not that great in particular houses further up the hill. So I'll have to check with Cell C about that one.

I've been trying to get hold of their customer care and service centre numbers, but the line just goes quiet after following instructions and pressing all numbers and hash keys etc. Hope I have better luck today.