Sign in to follow this  
Digitrade

BoBPay EFT - This should not happen.

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

I sold an item as per order 3581679.

I received an e-mail from BidorBuy that they received the payment from the buyer via bobPay EFT, and that the amount will be credited to my account. The fact of the matter is: I do not offer bobPay EFT as a payment option!

I did phone the BidorBuy offices, and spoke to Zuko, who confirmed that the payment was made, and has been credited to my account. Luckily the buyer used the order number as a reference. What if he just used his "username" or "Bidorbuy" or "something" that the system could not pick up as a payment belonging to me?

I feel that buyers should not be able to pay for my sales through bobPay EFT, and should be blocked from doing so by the system if they want to enter any other reference other than the reference supplied by BidorBuy to them.

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

It is very difficult to control payments done by buyers. An EFT payment happens outside of bidorbuy via the users Internet Banking facility and we will match payments automatically. Unfortunately we can not block users from using EFTs even and find it is better to allocate the payment to the seller regardless of their payment terms.

This is about as good as one can do if the buyer uses EFT where he/she shouldn't. Although the checkout process clearly states acceptable payment methods, buyers do disregard those...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
It is very difficult to control payments done by buyers...

Now you're talking, Mac! Some buyers really do not read listings properly and just decide to whatever they think suits them! :amazed:

retailrush    10
retailrush

@ Digitrade - this also happened to me just this week!! I also don't offer bobPay EFT as a payment option and the buyer deposited CASH into the bobPay EFT account using the order number as reference. In my case BoB then debited me with a R16.50 bank charge fee (because it was a cash deposit).

When I called BoB the lady who helped me said that the buyer had obviously previously bought from a seller who does offer bobPay EFT and he used the same account number when making his cash deposit - the buyer obviously did not read my confirmation e-mail whereby I state that "MY bank details will become available on BoB when he completes the order"...

I find this sort of thing very frustrating and time consuming - I also feel that this buyer may end up giving ME a negative rating because of the delay in shipping his goods when to his mind he has paid for them in good time. He says he doesn't understand what he did wrong and I am still waiting for him to deposit the excess bank charges (which he said he would pay last Saturday and didn't)... so we'll see what happens.

sungems    10
sungems
It is very difficult to control payments done by buyers. An EFT payment happens outside of bidorbuy via the users Internet Banking facility and we will match payments automatically. Unfortunately we can not block users from using EFTs even and find it is better to allocate the payment to the seller regardless of their payment terms.

This is about as good as one can do if the buyer uses EFT where he/she shouldn't. Although the checkout process clearly states acceptable payment methods, buyers do disregard those...

Buyer/s do not read BUT then they should take the responsibility for it. Such payment should be reversed/refunded (with the applicable fees deducted) and the buyer should redo the payment via the correct method.

I also do not accept any payment via BOB firstly BOB EFT. If the buyer is capable to do a EFT why not to me own account. Credit card payments: BOB do not accept responsibility for reversals and if the transaction is reversed (which seems to happen, as sellers offering this method demand photocopies of the back and front of the credit card faxed/mailed to them or BOB) the seller is the one losing out.I would love to accept a credit card payment but the risk is not worth it.

I also have had a very bad experience regarding the BOB EFT. I employed a new person and wanted to show her how the system work therefore bought an random item from a seller how unfortunately only offered BOB EFT as payment method. I paid for my purchases in a day. I did not here anything from the seller not even a congratulations email. After a week I contacted the seller who informed me no payment is received from BOB and if the payment were made it would reflect immediately (obviously it did not) I contacted BOB, they informed me there is a “link” problem between the bank and them. After another two days the seller filled a SNC against the sale. The more I informed her that I did pay, forwarded the correspondence between me and BOB to her the payment conformation etc. etc. she still were adamant that if payment were made by me it would have reflected on her side therefore she bluntly stated: “If it do not reflect on her side I did not made the payment” BOB’s reaction to this were - I just need to give it TIME until it is sorted out. Eventually It got sorted out the SNC were retracted but the seller did not even apologise for her rude behaviour and accusations.

Except from the rudeness of the seller, I rather stop selling on BOB as to have such a payment problem, even if I would be very nice, understanding, try to help to sort out the problem, NOT file a SNC until I am 1000% sure and do what ever is needed to just keep the buyer calm, I would still not post the item until payment reflects AND this type of problem is unthinkable to me I will not put any buyer of mine through such a problem payment

qball    11
qball

There are a number of reasons why we simply won't just refund the buyer if they used bobPay in error. Firstly from a time point of view, this delays the entire transaction even further, plus additonal costs are generated, which are difficult to recoup, and additional man hours and time it takes to process refunds/reversals.

Your complaints about bobPay are noted, but I must add, misguided. Your example of the problem you had, is not the norm, rather the exception. Anyone accepting credit card payments faces the same risk, even if it's not offered through bidorbuy. As a small business, getting a merchant account to accept credit card payments is also very difficult and costly, plus you accept full responsibility for charge backs. We are looking at introducing Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure Code which will possibly prevent reversals and charge backs but it will not eliminate them 100%.

Sellers and buyers are responsible for managing their orders and payments. 99% of the time, bobPay works efficiently and without any problems, but certain things like buyers using incorrect references, wrong account numbers, bank delays or incorrect payment options etc. cannot always be avoided and comes with the territory of trading online and often beyond our control.

sungems    10
sungems
There are a number of reasons why we simply won't just refund the buyer if they used bobPay in error. Firstly from a time point of view, this delays the entire transaction even further, plus additonal costs are generated, which are difficult to recoup, and additional man hours and time it takes to process refunds/reversals.

Your complaints about bobPay are noted, but I must add, misguided. Your example of the problem you had, is not the norm, rather the exception. Anyone accepting credit card payments faces the same risk, even if it's not offered through bidorbuy. As a small business, getting a merchant account to accept credit card payments is also very difficult and costly, plus you accept full responsibility for charge backs. We are looking at introducing Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure Code which will possibly prevent reversals and charge backs but it will not eliminate them 100%.

Sellers and buyers are responsible for managing their orders and payments. 99% of the time, bobPay works efficiently and without any problems, but certain things like buyers using incorrect references, wrong account numbers, bank delays or incorrect payment options etc. cannot always be avoided and comes with the territory of trading online and often beyond our control.

I realise that this were the exception and not the norm and the way the seller treated me during this situation were not a reflection on the payment method but a reflection on her own way of doing business but the whole situation freaked me out and I promised myself that I will control my payments/sales to the best of my ability therefore not allowing BOB’s payment methods as I can not control it.

Edited by sungems

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the new rate is for cash deposits for First National bank from a third party? Is it still the same for BOB EFT?