softwaredude

Software - Watch what you buy

Software - Watch what you buy  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Software - Watch what you buy

• From a computer shop
    • Other

Libertas Computers

Cool stuff. Thanks for the quick replies and sorting it out Cuan!

capetown1

Thanks Cuan

Thank you Cuan, I completely understand your point of view on this, but I still have a question:

What sort of buyer protection does BidorBuy offer for high ticket items sold by unverified BoB

sellers in the event of fraud, Item not received, or Item not as Described?

I was recently a victim of fraud, where an unauthorized transaction took place in my PayPal

account and over R10 000 was taken from my credit card. PayPal has protection measures

for situations like that and the money was returned to my card within a few days.

So again, my question is, what measures does BoB have in place if a fraudulent transaction

takes place on BoB?

qball

bidorbuy has many safety tips and measures in place to protect both buyer and seller. Please view this link to read more about it - Help - Staying Safe Online. No online site, not even eBay can guarantee that any high value item you purchase will be received or as described. Paypal refund you so that they do not incur a charge back, especially if your paypal account was used fraudulently or if your credit card details were used without your consent. If their charge backs become unmanageable, the card merchants may revoke their ability to accept credit card payments. It sounds like the fraud took place elsewhere? It also sounds like credit card fraud which has nothing to do with purchases on bidorbuy, correct me if I am wrong? As a credit card holder you have up to 180 days to dispute a charge if it was not authorised or if you did not receive the item you purchased, this is done directly with your bank. Please also be aware that eBay owns paypal, and eBay are significantly bigger than us, in terms of financial resources and market share. There are also financial and legal reasons why we cannot offer a "paypal" type solution at this stage, primarily due to the Banking Act and Reserve Bank Act.

We also offer Buyer Protection coverage for Verified Users, up to R3000 cover in the event of fraud, more details here - The 'bidorbuy Buyer Protection Programme'. However, under law you still have rights and should you be a victim of fraud, you as the purchaser must open a criminal or civil case against the seller, in the event an item is not delivered or not as described. bidorbuy will assist the authorities with the investigation and provide details and information should the need arise.

Please also be aware that bidorbuy does not accept responsibility or liability for any loss or theft you may incur as a result of using the site, every buyer and seller agree to this when they register, and assume full responsibility for their own actions and decisions to purchase from a seller on the site. The transaction is between the buyer and seller.

Kind regards

Cuan

Libertas Computers
PayPal has protection measures

Just as a side note: PayPal and Bid Or Buy is two completely different organisations entirely. If you pay via PayPal on Bid Or Buy, then Pay Pal can refund you, they handle card transactions easily, Bid Or Buy lets buyers and sellers meet..

capetown1

eBay and PayPal Buyer protection.

To Libertas Computers: Yes, PayPal is owned entirely by eBay International AG.

which is why eBay and PayPal offer similar coverage.

To Cuan,

Thanks for the reply.

eBay covers all buyers for purchases up to $ 3000 whether the item was not received

or not as described. PayPal offers similar coverage and also protects against fraud.

So basically on BoB, it's safe to purchase items to a maximum value of R 3000 from

a verified user on BoB, but it wouldn't be recommended that an item valued at over

R 3000 without personally collecting the item first, since BoB will only cover R 3000

of the purchase value? I know using PayPal on BoB is optional, but most users still

don't accept it.

I know better than most people the "rights" we have under the law in the event of fraud,

but I'm also well aware of how long the process can take.

I'm not saying that you're in the wrong for not having better protection measures in place

I'm just trying to clarify what sort of coverage I would have if I were to say... purchase a

new laptop on BoB for R 6000 and receive an empty box in the mail.

Wouldn't it perhaps be a good Idea to offer a buyer the option of a protection plan for a fee?

eg. 2% of the purchase price for coverage. It might be a viable option especially for buyers

who purchase an expensive item from an unverified BoB seller.

I understand that BoB is a lot smaller than eBay, but it may not be long before eBay creates

a localized South African version here. Getting PayPal here was just the first step.

qball

Thank you for your post. The short answer would be to look at the ratings, that is generally the most reliable way of checking the seller's reliability and trustworthiness. The same could be said for buying a laptop on eBay for $6000, you will not be covered for the full purchase amount any way. The bidorbuy BPP is essentially the same as the refund policy on eBay/paypal. The issue about charging a fee for "protection" has been raised before and so far has had little or no response, with many not wanting to pay the fees. We would be happy to charge fees for this, but no-one is willing to commit to a number, amount or percentage from our previous attempts to get more insight into this. You face the same risks on other sites, such as gumtree, junkmail, other online classified sites and there is zero protection on such sites.

2% sounds reasonable to us, but from our previous forum discussions, not many would be willing to pay this or would commit to an amount or figure that would suit everyone. We would be more than happy to institute a similar policy, but we can't force users to adopt it. There are also overseas escrow services available online for high value transactions, as long as you can get the seller to utilise this you will also be protected to a large extent. There are unfortunately no local escrow services, due to the lack of demand, costs and risks associated with running such an operation in this country.

We can assure you that 99% of all transactions result in a successful sale and completed transaction. Also with theft prevalent within the postal services we would not cover goods stolen in transit, that is where you as the buyer would need to ensure the parcel is insured against theft, alternatively only purchase from reputable sellers with lots of positive ratings or that uses a reputable courier service for deliveries. The decision to purchase a high ticket item from a seller is entirely your choice, we believe we provide you with tools and the ability to make an informed decision when purchasing (safe trading tips, rating system etc.). Obviously beware of new sellers selling high value goods at prices that are too good to be true, they usually are, but then again, that should be common sense...

My understanding is that FNB approached paypal, not the other way around... ?

Kind regards

Cuan

capetown1

Agreed.

Thanks for the fast reply Cuan, that clarifies a lot.

I suppose you can take them to the water, but you can't make them drink. I didn't realize

that you've already considered it. A 99% success rate is excellent, but not perfect, so a

buyer would still run a small risk of being defrauded.

Either way, like you said, it's up to the buyer to decide whether the transaction is safe,

and after all, it was the majority of buyers themselves who decided against an escrow

service.

One thing I have noticed though, is that BoB's phone contact number isn't clearly visible

on the website, or is not listed at all (I can't find it.). In the event of my BoB account being

compromised, telephone contact would be far quicker and preferable to e-mail contact.

If nothing else, at least you customer support is better than eBay and PayPal put together.

Most protection offered by them is pretty much automated, so you can't expect to get a

personalized response when contacting them.

As for FNB adopting PayPal, yes, that's true. But PayPal had jumped at the opportunity.

The only way (or at least the most economical way) PayPal could offer South Africans

unrestricted Premier Accounts was to form an agreement with a South African bank.

Libertas Computers

Contact Us

Found it in 5 seconds, hehe.. Just hit contact us at the bottom of any page:weeabooface:

qball
Contact Us

Found it in 5 seconds, hehe.. Just hit contact us at the bottom of any page:weeabooface:

Or, on the main menu bar at the top of the page - under Help.

admin

Or at the bottom of all emails received from bidorbuy :nuts:

qball
Thanks for the fast reply Cuan, that clarifies a lot.

I suppose you can take them to the water, but you can't make them drink. I didn't realize

that you've already considered it. A 99% success rate is excellent, but not perfect, so a

buyer would still run a small risk of being defrauded.

Either way, like you said, it's up to the buyer to decide whether the transaction is safe,

and after all, it was the majority of buyers themselves who decided against an escrow

service.

One thing I have noticed though, is that BoB's phone contact number isn't clearly visible

on the website, or is not listed at all (I can't find it.). In the event of my BoB account being

compromised, telephone contact would be far quicker and preferable to e-mail contact.

If nothing else, at least you customer support is better than eBay and PayPal put together.

Most protection offered by them is pretty much automated, so you can't expect to get a

personalized response when contacting them.

As for FNB adopting PayPal, yes, that's true. But PayPal had jumped at the opportunity.

The only way (or at least the most economical way) PayPal could offer South Africans

unrestricted Premier Accounts was to form an agreement with a South African bank.

Thank you for the reply. No site is perfect, not even the great eBay (always read the fine print on paypal), you just need to look at the number of complaints against both companies online to understand this. We merely provide a marketplace and there is still an element of risk with any online transaction. An educated buyer is a safe buyer, and only a buyer can prevent this from happening by not making the purchase. We have examples of fraud where we have caught the seller before any damage is done, yet the buyer still insists on concluding the transaction even after we have told them not to, all because the price was too good to be true.

We do strive for the personal touch although not always possible with the volume of email and queries we get on a daily basis. Our Contact details are:

Call Center

Tel: 0861 88 0861

Office hours weekdays 8:30am to 5pm

Switchboard

Tel: (011) 367 0000

Fax Number

(011) 706 6523

Email Addresses

hello@bidorbuy.co.za

billing@bidorbuy.co.za

I wouldn't read too much into paypal being in South Africa. The fees are really expensive and the uptake has not been what FNB was expecting, it also hasn't opened the flood gates to prosperity or better sales for most online sellers. The reason FNB were involved was purely because of Reserve Bank issues and regulations as paypal could not operate in the country without Reserve Bank approval, and this is unlikely to change any time soon.

Kind regards

Cuan

Libertas Computers

That and then the % from Paypal then with the % from FNB just doesn't make it worth while, haven't looked into lately, but it also had something about funds only allowed in the account for 7 days, then there's the withdrawel charge...

capetown1

Thanks!

Thanks guys, glad to know that you're easily contactable in the event of an emergency. :smile:

And Cuan, don't get me wrong, PayPal has many flaws, like a critical security issue which

they failed do disclose or do anything about for almost 2 years, until they were compromised!

There is also the PayPal - Apple Itunes battle where the buck is being passed.

I'm just saying that their system has been more than effective for the problems I've had.

I know that I should be wanting to kill them, since someone gained access to my account

and made a credit card payment of over R10 000 with my credit card! But I can't rule out

the possibility that my own PC was compromised by some sort of spyware or malware.

That said, their reimbursement and protection measures do work.

I've since clean-formatted my PC, changed all my passwords (Including my BoB account)

and loaded three new Antispyware programs to go with my Anti-Virus and software firewall.

I'm gonna close off by leaving a warning for all:

DO NOT LINK YOUR CREDIT CARD TO PAYPAL!

Just stick with your FNB account and use the PayPal wallet, it's safer albeit more expensive.

Thanks again for hearing me out.

qball

Hi capetown1

The forum is a great place to meet other users, exchange ideas and discuss topics that relate to bidorbuy or any other topic that may interest you. You will find many helpful members who are willing to assist you with any issue you may have.

Kind regards

Cuan