Sign in to follow this  
SA_Royal

Q regarding shipping

SA_Royal    10
SA_Royal

Hi new forum user here been on bidorbuy since 2009. So I just received 5 negative ratings because I did not agree with the seller over the postage amount so maybe a few users here can help me out here can it cost R199.00 to send the following items via normal post (snail mail) 4 70cm pc case fans, a usb sound card (size of a usb thumb drive), a small laptop cleaning kit, a tube of thermal paste and a cd pouch and I probably should add that all these items were won in a auction for R1.00 ea. Is it just me or is the seller clearly trying to make up the lost profit because I have sent and received many items, I remember posting an xbox 360 in a box which weighed about 5kgs for R50.00.

JPBon    10
JPBon

While I do think that it is high, it is clearly stated in the shipping that R20 per item will be charged for combining, so you as the buyer actually had this info upfront.

Shipping costs are not only made up of actual postage fees, you also have to take packaging etc into account.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree that the shipping seems high but when you bid on something you need to take into account the stated shipping charges. It is unfair to try and "beat" a seller down on his shipping costs after an auction. You can, however, contact communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za if you are really unhappy with shipping charges of any seller before you bid on items. Once you've placed your bid, the onus is on you to abide by the listing's rules.

SA_Royal    10
SA_Royal
While I do think that it is high, it is clearly stated in the shipping that R20 per item will be charged for combining, so you as the buyer actually had this info upfront.

Shipping costs are not only made up of actual postage fees, you also have to take packaging etc into account.

I have been conned with postage numerous times that is why I am just asking for advice I have received lots of parcels via speed services and paid in the amount the seller asked only to get to the post office and find out it the amount I paid was basically double of what it really cost.

SA_Royal    10
SA_Royal
I agree that the shipping seems high but when you bid on something you need to take into account the stated shipping charges. It is unfair to try and "beat" a seller down on his shipping costs after an auction. You can, however, contact communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za if you are really unhappy with shipping charges of any seller before you bid on items. Once you've placed your bid, the onus is on you to abide by the listing's rules.

I did try and contact the seller for more than 3 weeks regarding the shipping about 5 or 6 emails if I remember correctly and not once did the seller respond.

ClickandShip    10
ClickandShip

Hi there, I am in the news again...

Let me clarify, firstly, as Janet and JP have already stated, shipping is described upfront and is in no way after the fact represented in an attempt to conn anyone out of anything, all items for sale whether on ''Buy Now'' or ''Auction'' are listed and sold with the assumption that the buyer has read and understood the terms of such before bidding/placing an order.

Secondly, the total number of items in this order was 11, all of these computer related parts, peripherals and accessories, not simply plastic plush undamagable goods, these (Esp) the fans that break, chip or crack so easily in our postal service, have to be securely packaged. I am yet to find a donor for Bubblewrap, Brown wrap, Brown Packaging tape, Clear Packaging tape etc.

Thirdly, there are many unseen costs involved in sending out parcels, the printing of the address and return label, the trips to the post office, the card fees when paying (and you can tell me I can pay cash, but I dont walk around with an average of R1000+ on me)

Today, three hours of my time was devoted to and spent packaging parcels, this would not have had to have been done had you entered a store and purchased the items ''as is'' however it was done, and the buyer derives a benefit from it. I do not and cannot attribute my time and effort worthless.

I can name of hand 7 sellers with exactly the same shipping as me and by the way, SpyGuy has the same shipping charges and only sells ''Buy Now''

I will caution the buyer upfront not to attack me on a personal level which was done via email a few moments ago, as I will not stoop that low but will stand my ground.

JPBon    10
JPBon
I have been conned with postage numerous times that is why I am just asking for advice I have received lots of parcels via speed services and paid in the amount the seller asked only to get to the post office and find out it the amount I paid was basically double of what it really cost.

I know most of my own parcels that I send out require things like bubblewrap etc which adds to the postage costs. But if its items I can just bung into a bog then a combining fee of R5 is sufficient just to take care of things like the postage jumping into the next category.

So far in my experience I lose on some and make on another but in total I would say I have broken even on postage costs.