Sign in to follow this  
Gecko Coins

Appeal to BOB for a change in Militaria Categories

Gecko Coins    10
Gecko Coins

Hi guys

Lets start with the definition straight from google:

mil·i·tar·i·a

pl.n. Objects, such as weapons and uniforms, that are connected with warfare or military service and are usually collected for their historical interest.

This sir, does not mean battle ready, full tang (cheap china imported) katana swords or knifes or daggers or what ever else these people sell under the heading of militaria. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would think that these items are firstly collectable, secondly that it is connected to any war or military service or thirdly that it could have any historical value.

It is frustrating for a seller trying to sell authentic military collectables in an environment where the words "battle ready" and "full tang" gets used. First of all, none of the china imported katana swords are original, these would cost closer to R1 000 0000 than R100, they simply do not belong under collectable militaria, same thing applies to china imported knives and daggers. These items must be listed under either sports items or a new category must be established to house it. Perhaps you can call it "China imports".:twisted: The military section must only be for real, true collectable military items. If there are any people reading this that agree, please make your voice heard on this forum so that we can get BOB to change the categories, both sellers and buyers will benifit from this,

thanks

JPBon    10
JPBon

I would agree that genuine articles get lost amongst these items.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well you just need to check out the listings under "Unusual Items" to see how people are abusing the system!

Depot Three    10
Depot Three

I am so with you on this, I have some handmade, South African Knife makers Guild Knives I would like to auction, but they would just get lost in this morass of chinese rubbish. How about a new catagory "Chinese Crap and other stuff under R10"

mellowred    10
mellowred
I am so with you on this, I have some handmade, South African Knife makers Guild Knives I would like to auction, but they would just get lost in this morass of chinese rubbish. How about a new catagory "Chinese Crap and other stuff under R10"

I love that ..... LOL.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Great idea! I "third" the suggestion.

GPOEL    10
GPOEL

I totally agree. It becomes especially true if one tries to list REAL MILITARY COLLECTABLES under the Priority type listings. I would imagine it makes life very hard for buyers to first wade through this crappo bunko stuff before they can view REAL militaria..... BOB, PLEASE HELP!!

qball    11
qball

I'm afraid we will not be making any changes at present.

Gecko Coins    10
Gecko Coins

Hi Cuan

can you please elaborate on the statement that BOB will not make these requested changes at this time, an explanation would be much appreciated,

thanks

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately due to other commitments, developments and plans with other areas of the business, including categories in general, we will not be making any changes to this particular category.

I do apologise for this.

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

I agree completely! I have a Rhodesian Light Infantry Officers sword in Mint condition and worth a great deal but I think it will just get lost among the thousands of other knock off swords currently listed?

spacefinder    10
spacefinder

Perhaps BidorBuy could help us with their definition of Militaria, or perhaps introduce a "militaria memorabilia" section in antiques and collectibles...and in books and education....?