Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bargain G

Laptop disappears from SAPO Speed Services

Mr Bargain G    10
Mr Bargain G

I am just curious as to whether anyone else has had high value items dissapearing from SAPO Speed Services?

I send a laptop to a buyer on Friday via Speed Services and Tuesday the buyer phones me and told me that the box had been oppened and the only thing that was in it was a stack of newspapers... Obviously this is a huge concern because now I am scared that the buyer blames me. And to top it all off, he did not take the 2% insurance (which is all I charge for because I send these items out with NO POSTAGE Costs to the buyer.

So what now?

kebs    10
kebs

That's a huge loss! If you offered the insurance & the buyer didn't take it though, then IMHO, it's their loss, not yours.. You can report it to Speed services, but previous experience has taught me it may be a waste of time - fortunately my loss was only a R150 game.. I have never had hassles with SAPO - touch wood!! My only issue has been with speed services..

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

IMO it is the buyer's responsibility. Does the buyer have verified proof from the post office showing that it was opened by the buyer in the post office, in front of a SAPO official?

Getting more and more disillusioned in human nature I am afraid...:suspicious:

bitesize    10
bitesize

as kebs says, if the buyer didn't take insurance and it was offered then it's theor responsibility. I state in my shipping that the seller can't be held responsible and that insurance is optional. insurance isn't expensive and just a precaution.

Mr Bargain G    10
Mr Bargain G
IMO it is the buyer's responsibility. Does the buyer have verified proof from the post office showing that it was opened by the buyer in the post office, in front of a SAPO official?

Getting more and more disillusioned in human nature I am afraid...:suspicious:

Hi there MsPlod, No he said he opened it at his office and not in front of the clerk at SAPO.

kebs    10
kebs

Then he really doesn't have a leg to stand on.. & neither would you if you chose to ask for them to investigate.. They'll simply tell you he could've already removed the laptop & is lying.. Unfortunately he needs to take the loss for not paying the extra few rands for insurance..

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Touch wood, I have been extremely fortunate... have sent cell phones, laptop or two and havent had any bad luck.......

BMW_M3_CSL    10
BMW_M3_CSL

:thinking: I am not sure how heavy the newspaper was (compacted maybe with a brick??) - surely anybody will notice the difference in weight when collecting a Laptop vs Newspaper filled package???!!!!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
:thinking: I am not sure how heavy the newspaper was (compacted maybe with a brick??) - surely anybody will notice the difference in weight when collecting a Laptop vs Newspaper filled package???!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!

Mr Bargain G    10
Mr Bargain G

Hi there BMW, That is what my first thought were, but apparently the newspapers weighed about 4kg, which is plus/minus the same weight as the laptop after it is packed.:evil:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Then that's one hell of a lot of newspapers! 4kg of paper should be much larger than a 4kg laptop don't you think?

Mr Bargain G    10
Mr Bargain G

9 sets of "Die Son" and 9 sets of "Die Burger" that is what the buyer says he found. Now I am not a newspaper reader but I am sure you are right about the weight thing. Makes No sense, but the case against me has been opened and that is that I guess, either I send another one or I try and explain to the police.

kebs    10
kebs

I'm sorry to hear that - it's just not right.. :mad: Let us know how it turns out?

JPBon    10
JPBon

Yip please keep us upto date

SProducts    10
SProducts
9 sets of "Die Son" and 9 sets of "Die Burger" that is what the buyer says he found. Now I am not a newspaper reader but I am sure you are right about the weight thing. Makes No sense, but the case against me has been opened and that is that I guess, either I send another one or I try and explain to the police.

Thats bad, unfortunately it will inconvenience you in many way throughout the whole thing, but the dbuyer doesnt have a case against you. To begin with they decided not to insure their parcel which you mentioned beforehand, secondly how couldnt they notice there was something wrong when they picked up the laptop? Unless there were some bricks in that box or someeone who didnt knew what should be there collected ojn their behalf, there is no way a normal person would take that box to their office without noticing the wait.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I agree with SProducts - stand your ground (as long as you ARE being 100% honest about what you posted to him!).

The buyer paid for the item, the buyer refused insurance, you sent the item and now the buyer "conveniently" claims the switch?!?

Clear it with BoB, but you are in the right and you do not have to be bullied into refunding the buyer nor replacing the item. You may end up with a negative rating, but "a new car get's it's first scratch sooner or later"...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Don't be intimidated by the case opened at SAPS. All you have to do is explain the situation to the investigating officer who will then pass it on to his superior who will make a decision whether or not to send it to the prosecutor. If this happens (and I sincerely doubt that it will) then you will need to explain the situation to the prosecutor who, I am sure, will end up deciding that the case should be thrown out!

As the buyer elected not to take insurance and didn't open the parcel in the PO at the time of collection, the problem is his - not yours!

There is absolutely no way that 4 kgs of newspapers would have fitted into the laptop box! Just take a pile of newspapers and weigh them and see how many one needs to get 4 kg!

You are being "had" and I hope that BoB will support you if your buyer decides to open a case (or has already done so!)