Sign in to follow this  
LuckySilver

(UN)Insured parcels for jewellery

LuckySilver

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but have been selling jewellery for a few months now on BidorBuy. I have been posting happily though my small, local post office via insured econoparcel, but I was really shocked when I visited another post office the other day and they would not accept my insured parcels and even gave me an official notice stating that the post office will not insure jewellery. My question is how should I then post - do other sellers, especially jewellery sellers have any advice. I see that 99% do have an insured option.

I have not yet had any problem but since I try to keep my markups really low I do not really have the budget to refund clients their parcels if they paid for insurance and it was lost - isnt there a new law recently too where we sellers are necessarily responsible to cover their costs ? So, I dont think many sellers will be able to get away with - "its not my fault but SAPO's" for much longer (or is that just my misunderstanding regarding new consumer act?). I would really appreciate some good advice to do business in a safe and legimitate way from any knowledgable sellers - thank you in advance.

JPBon

there are lots of things excluded in their terms and conditions when insuring parcels, basically anything valuable they dont insure.

lilythepink

My suggestion is one I have been using for years ... mark the contents of all your parcels "personal effects" and you won't experience any problems!

Miss Jewels

I mark mine as gifts, spares, batteries, stationery....anything you can think of. Never mention the word jewelery because it will not be covered. You need to take out a special coverage insurance with your insurance house for this type of postage, but it is quite costly and not worth it.

My suggestion is one I have been using for years ... mark the contents of all your parcels "personal effects" and you won't experience any problems!

LuckySilver

Thank you so much for advice. But does this mean one is still taking the rosk to replace lost items as surely if one puts in a claim for a lost/damaged parcel one must provide details of contents .i.e. being jewellery which is uninusurable, or have sellers been able to get claims through the post office via this means? If not, is it not better then to just not provide buyers with the option for insured deliveries?

THanks for your reply in advance.

JPBon

According to their terms and conditions, they do not insure high value items, jewelery, coins etc. that means that you would never be able to claim for them anyways no matter what you wrote on the slip, as far as I am concerned.

Little Miss Muffet

Lucky silver I sent you a Private message

Little Miss Muffet

I am sending you a private messag luckysilver