Sign in to follow this  
voldermort

Does anybody know what this is???

voldermort

I received a message in my inbox this morning saying this message is been held in quarantine (I do understand that, I have had a few there before) what I don't understand however is usually the quarantined messages will pertain to come from somebody ie: blahblahblah@blahblah.com, this message does not have an attached name and when I click on the quarantined message which is in my inbox (to have a look at the heading of this quarantined message) it is telling me that I am asking Firefox to connect to an insecure site? But I definitely am not asking to go to any sites......why would Firefox be attempting to connect to a site, why wouldnt Outlook just show me the header message??

What is worrying though is that I have just sold a few items to a new buyer on BoB who is based in Namibia and this message seems to come from there, if I just ignore this message I could actually be ignoring a customer and yet.............

does anybody have any ideas as to why Firefox is trying to connect me to a site and not just show me the header message which should be in the Quarantine Box? Incidentally the whole quarantine message also looks slightly different, ie: normally it would say such and such a message is bn held in quarantine, please confirm blah blah blah....this particular quarantine message is called a Quarantine Digest? I have copied and pasted the message I am getting, hopefully someone will know what it all means.

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect

securely to ut.namib.net, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,

sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are

going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to

this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is

trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details

ut.namib.net uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed.

The certificate is only valid for router.example.com.

The certificate expired on 2010/07/15 07:36 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)

I Understand the Risks

If you understand what's going on, you

can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification.

Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is

tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless

you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

admin

Hi Sam,

I have no idea what this means...

namib.net

Namib.net is a domain controlled by three name servers at namib.net and simplehost.co.za. Two of them are on the same IP network. The primary name server is ns1.namib.net.

Jhvantonder.com, gridion.org, cntsa.com, pooranonymous.net, ocnam.com and at least 66 other hosts share name servers with this domain. Olatunjisolomonhome.com, namib.co.za, gogolfing.co.za, pixelate.co.za, 3.45.196.in-addr.arpa and at least 13 other hosts share name servers under another name with this domain. Leia.namib.net, hosting-1.namib.net, ob1.namib.net, leia2.namib.net, proxy1.namib.net and at least 21 other hosts are subdomains to this hostname.

More information

You might also be interested in namiba.net, namib.de, namibao.net, namib.cz and namiband.net.

Reputation is not yet known.It is not listed in any blacklists.Search for namib.net.

Maybe MacMuffin will come across this thread and help out.

voldermort

Thanks Andries............what I dont understand is that if you get an email, it would normally come from @telkom or @yahoo or @mweb etc etc, it wouldnt come directly from a site eg. from @google or @msn etc, or would/could it? That is the only reason I can think of that it is trying to connect me to this site :wondering:

Edited by voldermort

mellowred

I also have a query which is vaguely connected to your post Voldermort.

Andries perhaps you know why this happens.

The certificate expired on 2010/07/15 07:36 PM.
On occasion I get an similar error message when trying to access a site. And not just on obscure sites. It even popped up once when trying to access BoB(?) What does this mean?

Because it pops up on what I consider to be "safe" sites I just ignore it.

admin

Hi Mandy,

Some websites forget to renew their security certificate, a security certificate is issued by a third party to websites that want to secure their website or some of it's pages. It should be safe to continue to the site if you know it is a trusted site, if it is an unknown site any hacker can easily divert users to a malicious site, creating their own certificate, and get your details when you "log in".

Strange though that it happened on bidorbuy with you, you should check your date on the pc, if it is wrong it could also show that the certificate expired.

@Sam,

Maybe the email contains a link to a website with an expired certificate and your anti virus program blocked it ?

MAC, HELP!

Little Miss Muffet

What is very worrying is that there is an article on the UK dailymail about a bug connected to internet. You can read about it on the feedback to Bidorbuy where I posted a link