Sign in to follow this  
Angolo Antico

Diamonds: How do I identify such stones?

Angolo Antico

Hi Guys,

Im calling upon all gem experts with this one:

If I was presented with a diamond ring, how and / or what should I do to determine that the stone is infact a diamond and not just a CZ or just a piece of glass, as I have not skill in this department. :oops:

I do not have any equipment to check for authenticity, so what would the man on the street do to check for this? Except the age old scratch againt a pane of glass and hope it makes it's mark!! :lol:

All help is highly appreciated. :D

Marle

Cali Craft and Gems

Just a suggestion - go to your local Cash Crusaders or similar establishment, say that you're considering "selling" the ring to them and get them to do the testing (while you wait as they should have the equipment). Then decide that you're not interested due to the "low" price they offer. Quicker and cheaper than going to a jeweller!

:wink:

Angolo Antico
Just a suggestion - go to your local Cash Crusaders or similar establishment, say that you're considering "selling" the ring to them and get them to do the testing (while you wait as they should have the equipment). Then decide that you're not interested due to the "low" price they offer. Quicker and cheaper than going to a jeweller!

:wink:

That's an excellent idea! :lol: I would of never thought about that, he he.

So judging from your answer, I take it that there is no way of checking for the 'real' deal by eye, only with certain equipment, which will be :?:

Thanks again for this excellent and funny answer, I needed a good laugh :lol:

regards,

Marle

Lukeness

Great idea.

And just a word of caution to everyone out there who might want to try it: Many gemstones will scratch glass, as well as other glass.

Angolo Antico
Great idea.

And just a word of caution to everyone out there who might want to try it: Many gemstones will scratch glass, as well as other glass.

Hi LUKENESS,

Thanks for your input, I really didn't know that more gemstones other than diamonds could actually scratch glass! :shock:

Do you perhaps know of any tricks in the book to check for diamonds at home without expensive equipment?

Thank again.

Marle

motherearth

hi, you either know or you don't , there is no easy way, if unsure with Diamonds always seek the opinion of an expert and never trust someone else's Diamond tester(especially if you don't know them), it could be rigged!!

normal glass has a hardness of about 5.5 on the Mohs scale, stones such as Garnet,Topaz, Ruby, Sapphire are all harder and will scratch glass, while Garnet and Ruby look nothing like Diamonds, white Topaz and white Sapphire can fool a lot of people...... white Topaz rough can look very similar to Diamond rough!!... and has taught very expensive lessons to many people!

Jeff.

Angolo Antico

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate the honest answer, so then I'm back to square 1 :cry:

Oh well, then off with me to the jewellers for that!

Thanks to all for your help.

Gem Shop

why not invest in a little diamond tester? they are not too expensive and there are a few on sale at various cash converters for around R700 - R1900

Angolo Antico

Hi Gem-Shop,

Thanks for the info, please tell me a little bit more about this 'tester' How does it work, reason I ask is to see if the small invesment in the equipment will be viable or not as I do not deal in gemstones, but do get clients now and then that bring these items to me to purchase, but I have to tell them to go somewhere else as I dont take them ( Well, just dont know anything about them! :wink: ).

In todays market I cannot afford to loose / giveaway more business!

motherearth

hi, if you are going to buy one, you should buy something that is reliable, I would recommend one made by Presidium, that also checks for Moissanite( a very good diamond simulant)

they cost around $200 US, and are very easy to use, and reliable! an invaluable tool in your business ,

regards Jeff.