Sign in to follow this  
pepper007

Valuations

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Michelle

Natural unheated Tanzanite is a khaki green colour (I compare it to dry grass in winter). As soon as heat is applied, the colour changes to blue. The more heat the darker the colour.

I will email you an image showing the change.

However, the gem in question does look doubtful (too bright). Although, if the seller has manipulated the image and set the colour adjustment to "autobalance" the colours will look odd.

Kind regards,

Janet

pepper007

Hi Janet

Ok, understand the heating, can understand why they do heat it if this is what Tanzanite looks like normally LOL - verry yuk

Tanzanites seem to be generally very expensive - are green ones rare?

pepper

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Michelle,

Yes, in my opinion the unheated tanzanites are more rare than the heated blue ones.

I stand to be corrected though.

Regards,

Janet

GemDeals
Hi Michelle

Natural unheated Tanzanite is a khaki green colour (I compare it to dry grass in winter). As soon as heat is applied, the colour changes to blue. The more heat the darker the colour.

I will email you an image showing the change.

However, the gem in question does look doubtful (too bright). Although, if the seller has manipulated the image and set the colour adjustment to "autobalance" the colours will look odd.

Kind regards,

Janet

Hi Janet,

That isn't completely correct. Tanzanite rough usually is a reddish brown color. However you do get untreated blue tanzanite.

Many dealers use the term "tanzanite" to describe zoisite that's green and pink. However this isn't correct, tanzanite is always purple/blue.

So the stone that was on auction was just a normal zoisite. It's exactly what will be on your laboratory report if you send it for certification.

regards,

Chris. ;)

motherearth

hi, as Gemdeals states, Tanzanite is a marketing name for Blue Zoicite, I see nothing wrong with advertising Green Tanzanite providing the word Zoicite is also included!!

The pink Topaz, in my opinion is either Synthetic sapphire(corrundum) , or at best it is coated Topaz/Quartz, the same as Mystic, how do I know this? .... because it is a very popular trick on eBay, and I have no doubt this is where this stone was originally purchased.... just my opinion!!

regards Jeff.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thank you guys - shows you that even "those in the know" need to learn something once in a while.

I clean forgot about the Zoisite term. :oops:

I think it's about time I take my holiday now...

:wink:

pepper007

Hi all

Lovely to tap into you clever lot! Eek, does this mean that the Topaz's I've bought are all probably not the real thing? :shock:

pepper