Sign in to follow this  
Angolo Antico

Gemstone weights / carets, how does one get that info?

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Hi,

This might be a very stupid question, but I am no expert on gemstones, let's say I have a digital scale with all the bells and functions to measure grams, carets ect.

Is getting any gemstone's caret weight as easy as just weighing the item with your scale on carat mode?

Hope you guys can help,

regards,

Marle

GemDeals    10
GemDeals

Hi Sacoins,

To get a decent reading it's not that simple.

Get your scale on a clean flat and level surface, then gently press down on the body of the scale to "set" it.

turn on the scale, wait till it shows 0. Select the correct function i,e g,ct,dwt etc...

Next clean your gem in a soft cloth or tissue, then place it gently on the tray of the scale with tweezers or the cloth.

With all those steps you will get an accurate reading with a normal pocket scale.

regards,

Chris.

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for the info. :D

I really didn't know that it was that 'easy', I expected an answer closer to a person having a degree in mathamatics, gemstones ect ect ect.

So whether I get the weight / carats of a diamond to a CZ, they all fall under the rules? Excluding quality offcourse!

GemDeals    10
GemDeals
Hi Chris,

Thanks again for the info. :D

I really didn't know that it was that 'easy', I expected an answer closer to a person having a degree in mathamatics, gemstones ect ect ect.

So whether I get the weight / carats of a diamond to a CZ, they all fall under the rules? Excluding quality offcourse!

:lol: luckily not!

Yes, all gemstones are measured with "Ct" or 0.2g per ct :)

qball    10
qball

CZ's have a heavier carat weight than diamonds... I think...

GemDeals    10
GemDeals

hehe, I think you are confusing specific gravity with the measure of weight "ct"

Cz is heavier that diamonds. However that only means a 1ct Cz will be smaller than a 1ct diamond ;)

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

hehe, I think you are confusing specific gravity with the measure of weight "ct"

Cz is heavier that diamonds. However that only means a 1ct Cz will be smaller than a 1ct diamond ;)

Technically you're both right because due to their SG (density is the easiest way to understand it) differences in most cases a 1CT CZ is in fact a CZ equal in size to a 1CT diamond.

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, you all have helped me understand more about gemstones! :D

Gem Shop    10
Gem Shop

but you really do need to get a o,001 weight scale to do gems properly

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8798160

or

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8798161

I would also suggest this very handy microscope to check out the clarity

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8948776

This is really a great little gadget and soon I will have a 50x magnification too

motherearth    10
motherearth

hi, i think the tools mentioned above are really good and excellent value, if you are buying gemstones, and you want to check the weights , to make sure you are not getting stiffed! , however if you are going to sell gemstones as a business, you should invest in more expensive and accurate equipment, and be sure they are properly calibrated.

regards Jeff.

Gem Shop    10
Gem Shop

oh yes I forgot to say our scales does come with 10gm calibration weights we also now have 2 more microscopes on sale to study your gem properly before buying it

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8985537

and this one which has a In-view measurement scale helps determining the exact size of small objects

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=8985551

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and the products looks very good and tempting! :lol:

I will see how many gemstone incounters I have the coming month and see if I should start investing in the equipment.

Kind regards,

Marle