Sign in to follow this  
SProducts

Bought item as new and received secondhand

SProducts

I am beginning to think I am not supposed to buy on Bidorbuy, maybe I have to be a seller only. For the last year or so, about 95% of all my purchases are not satisfying. Its like I am always having problems with items I buy on BoB.

I bought this product which is listed as new, External Drives - MECER BRAVO 400GB EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE IN COOLING ALUMINIUM CASE was sold for R406.00 on 12 Jan at 22:01 by MaraMarketing in Bethlehem (ID:31357491)

Received it yesterday and to my shock its more than second hand, the writing on the case is fading off showing signs of usage, the barcode sticker is also fading off and the number are disappearing and the box also shows its not new. The hard drive according to manual comes not assembled, you get a screw driver and screws in order to assemble it to the enclosure. But I found it already assembled and the screwdriver wasnt there.

To top it all, the thing doesnt work anymore. It cant connect kept on saying the device is not recognised and thereafter nothing happens when you connect, just the light shows its connected but its not detected by the computer.

I have emailed the seller and still awaiting respond as this is clearly misleading advert, just hoping to get my money back without problems. The road to teh Police Station is too much.

Edited by SProducts

lilythepink

Oh dear! You do seem to be having bad luck. Hope you've referred the misleading advert to CW!

wayjen

Misleading or Honest Mistake?

I went through some recently bought items and saw a modern coin was sold for a few rands but the strangest thing was the coin was described as a R2 UNC coin but the thumbnail showed very clearly a R1 coin. I went to the rest of the sellers items and all seemed to be ok so I guess it was an honest mistake.

SProducts

@lilythepink, I have sent an email to hello@bidorbuy.co.za and hoping by Monday I wil have some respond.

@wayjen, the seller is legit from what I can say through ratings and sales. His shipping was also fast and communication satisfactory. I didn't rate the seller negative as I am sort of sure this will be sorted out amicably. Well my weakness I am too trusting and its not a good attitude in this times of evil people.

Unfortunately with all these bad buying activities lately, I seem to have a bad luck as Lily has stated.

RAJRULES1

I went through a phase of buying electronic products I did not need a few months ago and found that the quality was questionable as they were chinese type products, which while cheap, did not seem to have the quality I would have preferred.

The few item I tried seemed to have failed or did not work properly. I did not try out the others though and I cannot even remember who I bought the items from.

I now realise that you get what you pay for, and if it is cheap, there is a good chance that the quality is down there as well. The same thing happened a few years ago when I went through a bidding phase and bought gemstones at bargain basement prices.

I am not saying you bought cheap stuff, but seller sometimes get items at a bargain because the suppliers merely want to get rid of them.

SProducts

@Rajrules, I agree with you, there is no bargain in the real world. You always get what you paid for, you might not be aware but somewhere along the way the extra amount you supposedly saved will be recovered through inconveniences and repairs.

I bought a 3g modem 2 weeks ago for R300.00, its supposed to be 7.2mbps. The damn thing is slower than Edge, worse I have toi waste a lot of time trying to connect as it disconnect most of the time and at times I have to remove and install before it register network. As if that's not bad, it doesn't take my 3G contract sim card, only takes a prepaid card. I have another 2 of these and both won't take my contract sim, but prepaid.

I informed the seller and they sent a patch which still doesn't help. I can't rate the seller as I am not happy at all.

I have decided to get a vodafone modem from Game as this inconvenience is not worth, will have to give the modems away unfortunately.

But on this auction it was a meccer which is a brand and not some OEM product, the prodyct was advertised new even thought its a second hand.

SProducts

Some sellers are just too arrogant. The seller finally responds when he geets the email from Bidorbuy and offer a refund. I agree and arrange for the item to be sent back.

I then get a negative rating, with this comment "WHY DID YOU NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITH ME FIRST BEFORE GONE TO BID OR BUY." Clearly this is not a revenge rating as I havent rated the seller yet, why would he rate me bad when hee's the one who sold me a second hand iteem as new? In this case, most buyers would have rated the seller negative immediately, even before communicating.

Whats funny is now if I rate him negative it will be classified as revenge rating!

lilythepink

@SProducts - before you rate him, send an email with all the info to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and tell them why you need to rate the seller negatively and that it is not a revenge rating! Wait for their response/advice.

Now, I don't know why communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za hasn't been put in blue with underlining! Most odd.

AndreComputer

I have had the same experience with a till that I have bought from the same seller.When I opened the parcel I could see that although new this was an item that has been opened a few times and looked at (the BOX,Packaging) When I plugged it in DEAD as a dodo . After reading through his ratings I could see that this would get confrontational and decided to rather buy a good branded secondhand unit locally and being in the electronics business I repaired the dry joint on the till from maramarketing :Labels & Pricing - CASH REGISTER : new in box was sold for R610.00 on 12 Jan at 22:07 by MaraMarketing in Bethlehem (ID:31366425) .I sold it to a spaza shop at a loss.

I rated positive because I knew a revenge rating would be on the way.I do not Understand BOB .ON payment a seller should rate on PAYMENT issues only and the buck should stop there .A seller should not be allowed to change the rating again after he received a negative rating because his product or service was bad .This is extremely unfair.All buyers are held to ransom by BOB and the sellers by this ,because you as low rating buyer do not want to compromise your ratings and therefore you rate positive for scrap

Edited by AndreComputer
word left out

SProducts

@Lilythepink, I will definately do that. I am still waiting for my refund, they received the product back on Tuesday and when I asked about the refund apparently the seller is away and will only refund when he's back according to his assistant.

@AndreComputer, I didnt mind keeping the hard drive even when it wasnt new. The problem was that it wasnt even working and so I couldnt used it.

qball
I have had the same experience with a till that I have bought from the same seller.When I opened the parcel I could see that although new this was an item that has been opened a few times and looked at (the BOX,Packaging) When I plugged it in DEAD as a dodo . After reading through his ratings I could see that this would get confrontational and decided to rather buy a good branded secondhand unit locally and being in the electronics business I repaired the dry joint on the till from maramarketing :Labels & Pricing - CASH REGISTER : new in box was sold for R610.00 on 12 Jan at 22:07 by MaraMarketing in Bethlehem (ID:31366425) .I sold it to a spaza shop at a loss.

I rated positive because I knew a revenge rating would be on the way.I do not Understand BOB .ON payment a seller should rate on PAYMENT issues only and the buck should stop there .A seller should not be allowed to change the rating again after he received a negative rating because his product or service was bad .This is extremely unfair.All buyers are held to ransom by BOB and the sellers by this ,because you as low rating buyer do not want to compromise your ratings and therefore you rate positive for scrap

You may rate the seller accordingly. bidorbuy does not force people to rate each other nor do we "hold people to ransom"...

I think what you need to understand is that bidorbuy does not have to get involved in rating disputes, we set some guidelines, but ultimately, the buyer and seller determine how they rate each other - honestly and factually. We will intervene in extreme circumstances, but are not obligated to do so. No one forced you to rate positively, you did so of your own free will.

No rating system is perfect as there is always a human element, no matter how it is set up, and human nature determines how it is used or abused. You guys are responsible for your ratings, not bidorbuy.