Sign in to follow this  
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Dishonest and threatening!!!

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI ALL

Sometimes we just cannot let things go.I was browsing the stamps section today and came across an item advertised at R35 000 so i took a look-It turned out to be early france used described as mint and catalogued at 90 pence.The seller had another item at R2500 which is catalogued at 20p.

I sent the seller a polite question asking where he got his info as this is incorrect and misleading.The answer i received was basically mind my own business and he can ask and do as he pleases.With that attitude i reported him to comm watch.

Now the interesting part is that he knew it was me as i had sent the question and the seller then sent me threatening questions on some of my listings-Please look at my trade id 31038752 and the q & a on that item.

Should i accept threats like that.

Any advice and comments

NEIL

JPBon    10
JPBon

Must say he is ultra polite he uses a lot of F's and dots.

brands online    10
brands online

Is this hangman? F...

Is it "fuss"? Maybe "fight"? "FLAKE" maybe? :wondering:

JPBon    10
JPBon

ATA you missed the stamp listed at R 2 000 000

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I would report him again for threatening you.

He could potentially buy some of your items just to rate you negatively and BoB management needs to be aware of this so that any negatives can be removed.

Don't delete the comments he has made, let them see them.

BumbleBabe    10
BumbleBabe

I hope bob can do something, this is not the kind of buyer or seller we want on the site :wondering:, is it?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I would report him again for threatening you.

He could potentially buy some of your items just to rate you negatively and BoB management needs to be aware of this so that any negatives can be removed.

Don't delete the comments he has made, let them see them.

This is sound advice. Who needs users like this on BoB? Let him be handled by the "BoB Mafia"!

donovink    10
donovink
ATA you missed the stamp listed at R 2 000 000

never mind that the cancel is termed an "overprint" and the fading "two colours". R2,000,000 for a stamp to be tossed in the bin!

As for the R35000 Switzerland "Mint" set. Those are great "overprints" on them! :worried:

Anyway, going through all his stamp listings, he is definitely misleading any potential buyers. If I could get those kind of prices for my items, I'd be retired tomorrow and thats just selling from my "scraps" box.

As for his comments on your Q&A, I hope the powers that be do something about this.

JPBon    10
JPBon

gee and here I thought if I found some old letters I would be a billionaire.

wayjen    10
wayjen

check the spelling in that Q & A maybe he did not know how to spell the swear words.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
check the spelling in that Q & A maybe he did not know how to spell the swear words.

Good grief. So technically he isn't swearing?

mrspagel    10
mrspagel

Neil, Maybe he does not own a SACC catalogue or computer to check prices. Maybe he is a novice when it comes to stamp collecting and does not know the differece between a Mint and an Used stamp. It is a shame, and I feel quite embarrest, that "new" stamp collectors might fall for these prices thinking it is a bargain. But I suppose everyone could advertise his products on his terms - if he sells it is another story.

wayjen    10
wayjen
Neil, Maybe he does not own a SACC catalogue or computer to check prices. Maybe he is a novice when it comes to stamp collecting and does not know the differece between a Mint and an Used stamp. It is a shame, and I feel quite embarrest, that "new" stamp collectors might fall for these prices thinking it is a bargain. But I suppose everyone could advertise his products on his terms - if he sells it is another story.

if you can list items then you have access to a computer. We sell stamps too but we have books and good friends that guide us as to what prices to list them at.

qball    11
qball

The other user has been issued with an abuse warning, and the Q&A removed. This auction started off at R1 and the bidders determine the final selling price.

donovink    10
donovink
The other user has been issued with an abuse warning, and the Q&A removed. This auction started off at R1 and the bidders determine the final selling price.

I think the issue is with these items, to name a few, which are at ridiculous starting prices and are very misleading and factually incorrect

Switzerland & Helvetia - SWITZERLAND_HELVETIA ONE OF A KIND _RED_AND_BROWN_OVER_PRINT FRANCO for sale in Cape Town (ID:31535324)

India - INDIA_3_ANNA_BLUE RARE OVER PRINT MINT for sale in Cape Town (ID:31669658)

Switzerland & Helvetia - SWITZERLAND Helvetia 1905 MINT SET OF STAMPS for sale in Cape Town (ID:31745366)

I doubt whether any serious/experienced collector would fall for these listings but it's the inexperienced we are concerned about

qball    11
qball

If sufficient proof can be supplied, including verifiable catalogue prices, past selling prices etc. we can investigate further.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Hi all

Thank you for the comments and advice-BOB has taken swift action and i appreciate that.

The one rand auction qball is referring to is my listing that the q and a was on ,as the other seller only has starting prices on his.As said before the concern here is not the experienced collector but the little old lady/gent that was told by someone that stamps are a great investment and then they purchase a dud like those items and waste their last savings,Totally reprehensible to trade like that and in my opinion shows no ethics and sense of morality,This brings me to the point that experienced buyers that browse these listings and see this should please report to community watch so we can eradicate this type of listing.

neil

voldermort    10
voldermort

Quite agree with what you are saying HOWEVER don’t forget that stamps are a very tricky business – one stamp can be worth hundreds of thousands but for an inexperienced person looking at the same stamp they can and do imagine that they have the same stamp meanwhile their stamp is worth possibly R10.00.

As any experienced philatelist is aware many factors would determine the price, not least being the condition etc…….

Thus this person placing their R10.00 stamp on auction is not being dishonest, this is simply due to ignorance. They simply do not realise that their stamp is very different from the higher priced item.

Also then this selfsame person is going to believe that the stamp in question is worth R10.00 and report the seller to cw for selling this stamp for a much higher price when in fact that is the actual value.

On the other hand no experienced seller will or does pretend to be Father Christmas, eg: if a seller places an item on auction and shows a picture of a Rolls Royce stating that the item usually fetches millions this so far would be true, now imagine they start their auction at R100.00 and ultimately the item sells for 1 million……….even if they have merely sold the shell of a Rolls Royce, let’s pretend there is no engine, no seats, no wheels, there is also no comeback for the buyer who fell for this as the seller could say quite honestly that they started the auction at R100.00 which is what the actual value of the shell was (this too would be true)…….in the ad they did not state that they were selling the shell of a car, they merely stated that a Rolls Royce can and does sell for millions (again quite true)…..any inexperienced buyer would believe this was a fully functioning car……..unfortunately there is nothing for nothing…….who is the more devious, the ignorant person selling at inflated figures because they do not know better or the experienced seller selling items stating they are worth thousands of rands and catching the inexperienced buyers?

So if there were an inexperienced buyer in this scenario, whether he bought from the ignorant seller or the experienced seller he is still going to end up wasting his money.

I believe that the Q/A in all ads should be put to better use, it will save many buyers from burning their fingers.

Before placing a bid on the imaginary Rolls, make 100% sure it is a fully functioning Rolls, before placing a bid on a 2 million rand stamp, make sure that it is in actual fact worth 2 million, before placing a bid on a R50.00 stamp make sure it is indeed worth R50.00......

For all buyers I would say do not be pressured into buying, take your time and ask as many questions as you can on the item.

Edited by voldermort

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

You should tell admins about his accident.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

So I turn my back on Bidorbuy for a couple of hours and I miss all the fun.

Perhaps I can sell my entire stock and then my house – it might just be enough to by the bargain at a cool two million (please read my post of long ago where some wise guy stole one of my items priced at R25 million).

I just love Paquebot covers so the India stamp must be a bargain at a mere R12 000-00+.

At least I had my laugh for today at about 5c per page download.

Thanks Neil (you provided me with so much better comedy value than the Sunday Times).

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
You should tell admins about his accident.

This seems to be a feeble attempt to threaten me once again.Please do not estimate my and BOBS intelligence to be as low as yours,So easy to work out who this is.REALLY!!!!

neil

qball    11
qball

Ok, I think this thread has run it's course.