Sign in to follow this  
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Compliments to bob-they do listen!!

dstorm

I am yet to meet a seller that lists items to please BoB.

We do it to for one reason and one reason alone: to make money.

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

Cali Craft and Gems
I am yet to meet a seller that lists items to please BoB. We do it to for one reason and one reason alone: to make money.

Ultimately the more money the seller's make, the more money BoB makes - it goes hand in hand any way you look at it!

Miss Jewels

This was interesting. Buyer of 17th has aweful ratings! Could this be that the deal fell through? After just one day? There was definitely only one stone available. Totally off the point, but was raised in this thread.

PS. Just checked the two items that Carballs sold and they are the identical item to two different buyers for two different prices! The plot thickens...

33.11ct black diamond sold for R20000 on 17 January to one buyer, then the following day it is sold to a second buyer for R35000 !!!

RAJRULES1

Maybe we need an algorithm (like a Google algorithm) that automatically calculates the top seller via a set of criteria with weighting attached to it.

The simplest algorithm would be X = 50% (sales) and 50% (value)

A more complex one would include cost of enhanced listings, positive ratings for the month, etc all with weighting that add up to a score. The highest score will equal the top seller, and the next highest will equal the second, etc.

To further comlicate/enhance the ratings, there can be an accumulation factor, like a rolling average or something (much like how tennis players or golf players are rated). This will ensure that a top seller can strive to remain on top forever and not lose out just because they were in hospital for 2 weeks and not have sold anything.

It may sound complex, but provided you set out the algorithm properly, a computer fundi (BoB probably has one or two) can easily put it into code that does this automatically.

Whew!:grin:

Vinyl Lady Decals

Sounds like a fairer way of doing things Rajrules

eZethu Coins
Would be great if we could always make everyone happy. But like others said, the old top-sellers ranking based on sold item count was not an accurate reflection of a sellers ranking.

The two systems do reflect two very different bits of information:

New system reflects who does the most turnover in monetary terms - money in pocket for seller and obviously income to BoB - no sin in that.

Old system reflects who makes the most sales - not necessarily most money for both parties (although quantity does add up), but does reflect repeat business, possible seller service & buyer satisfaction, etc.

Maybe the choice should not be which one of the two, but possibly there is benefit in both, and both should be reflected on the system. That way benefit to all parties. So where to put it on an already full page - I don't know :-)

Cali Craft and Gems

Perhaps instead of showing the actual list on the page, there should be a block offering the user the opportunity to view the list / lists - in this way all stats or various lists can be shown on another page.

"To view the top sellers in this category, click here"

The link that is opened can show:

1) top sellers for that category by number of sales

2) top sellers... by R-value

3) top sellers... by income generated for BoB (enhancement fees, etc)

4) ... etc (any other potential info)

Perhaps this is the best way to keep so many people / users happy - one page per category that shows ALL the information! This is sure to keep the peace and will be far more motivating than the latest change.

To be brutally honest, since the change I have lost all my motivation as I know there is simply no way I'll be back onto the lists due to the low value of my transactions... very demotivating... and depressing! (especially for those seller's who give it their all!)

What do you say?

ClickandShip

I have a question for Bid or Buy regarding the list...

Last year, I was on the list and was thus invited to the Top Sellers Function... Am I now too poor to be invited?

Asha Craft

Why not just give everyone a bit of exposure and rotate the lists weekly?

SUNMASTER

Maybe the choice should not be which one of the two, but possibly there is benefit in both, and both should be reflected on the system. That way benefit to all parties. So where to put it on an already full page - I don't know :-)

They can use the colum space about articles ,it is right below the Topsellers colum.:idea:

BeadandCraft Studio

New system reflects who does the most turnover in monetary terms - money in pocket for seller and obviously income to BoB - no sin in that.

Old system reflects who makes the most sales - not necessarily most money for both parties (although quantity does add up), but does reflect repeat business, possible seller service & buyer satisfaction, etc.

As a seller who has been the No 1 seller in the crafts category for the last month or so and have been continuously in the the top 3,the new system is totally disheartening,as it has taken myself and other sellers a long time to reach the top 10.We also try very hard to maintain or better our service delivery,products and customer satisfaction,which is why we get continuous repeat business(Continuous business = Continuous profits for seller and BoB).

The unfairness of it all is that bead sellers cannot compete with a seller who sells only 1 item e.g a sewing machine for R5000,whereas we have to literally sell 1000's of items to even get a mention in the TOP 10.

Also from previous posts,its seems that there is some sort of antagonism towards bead sellers as there is a general misconception that we sell all our products for 5 cents,so therefore it cannot be a true reflection of our sales.

I woud like to point out that,as a seller,our main aim is to make a profit,but there is also a humane part,that goes beyond monetary value.Have you asked yourselves,why we have a variety of products at various prices?.Well,from my perspective,this is because,we try to cater for all income groups.Not everyone has a lot of money to spend,so why deprive them completely ,of probably the only past time that they have,namely beading.Also,if any sellers/buyers,have children in Nursery or Pre-School,you will notice that Crafts play an important role in helping with eye/hand co-ordination.I have a group of buyers from all over,who are Nursery/Pre-School teachers and some that teach beading to homeless kids.Now these teachers,use their own money,in some cases to buy our products to benefit thes kids.So we cater for the kids as well,selling low cost beads,namely acrylics which are safe for kids to use.I have in fact,sponsored many of these projects by donating free items. Now tell me,why do we bead sellers get criticised all the time for selling some low cost products.Would you prefer if we sold an acrylic bead at R2.00 each,ripping buyers off.Please also remember that we have repeat customers who have supported us over the years,who only purchase to the value of R1000 or more per month,and this is not for 5 cent products ,mind you.

To insinuate,that we got to the Top 10 Sellers List,by selling 5 cent items,is a complete misrepresentation of facts.I dare anyone to go to my listings and double check their facts.

Lastly,most sellers have been in the Top 10,mainly for their tremendous hardwork,their contionuous dedication and excellent customer service.But unfortunately,now there is no motivation,as there is no recognition for those sellers that work tirelessly day in and day out as opposed to those that sell only 1 high priced item,that takes less than 30 minutes to wrap.

To those sellers that are feeling disheartened about the changes,we can only hope that that the client base that we have built up over the years,is enough to sustain us,because surely,everyone is going to wonder,if we have vanished from the face of the earth.

Edited by BeadandCraft Studio

mellowred

I've never been on the list and doubt I'll get there, but my 10 cents is that the value of sales should hold more weight than the quantity. Ratings should also form part of the criteria.

RAJ's suggestion covers all aspects and if possible should be considered.

If the list changes weekly, I can't see the problem with the guy who sells one or two high price items. He'll only appear for one or two weeks (?)

BeadandCraft Studio
Perhaps instead of showing the actual list on the page, there should be a block offering the user the opportunity to view the list / lists - in this way all stats or various lists can be shown on another page.

"To view the top sellers in this category, click here"

The link that is opened can show:

1) top sellers for that category by number of sales

2) top sellers... by R-value

3) top sellers... by income generated for BoB (enhancement fees, etc)

4) ... etc (any other potential info)

Perhaps this is the best way to keep so many people / users happy - one page per category that shows ALL the information! This is sure to keep the peace and will be far more motivating than the latest change.

To be brutally honest, since the change I have lost all my motivation as I know there is simply no way I'll be back onto the lists due to the low value of my transactions... very demotivating... and depressing! (especially for those seller's who give it their all!)

What do you say?

This is a brilliant idea,combined with Raj,I think it would benefit more sellers as well.

JPBon

Which ever way you look at it one group scored the other loses, in the past the cheaper higher volume sales got the exposure now maybe its the turn of the higher value items. I actually think that maybe the sellers that were on the lists need to think a bit that maybe just maybe someone else also deserves a chance. I havent been on any lists and dont think I am likely to be for quite a while yet.

BeadandCraft Studio

So basically the sellers that have been on BoB for years,and who have made BoB what is today,get shoved to back,never to be seen again.Oh,forget about the enhancement fees,auction fees that we all paid to promote our products. Of course,everyone deserves a chance,we all wanted a chance,when we started off,but to forget about the regular sellers completely,is just not on.Also how can one compare selling a 18 carat gold ring in the jewellery category as opposed to selling Goldplated Rings,obviously the 18ct gold ring will sell at a higher price,so how can we compare apples to pears,same as in other categories,where there are a vast amt of items available,how do you compare selling kitchen utensils to selling kitchen cupboards,obviously the seller of kitchen cupboards would consistently be Number 1 seller,So there has to be be some form of guideline to ensure that everyone gets the right exposure,not just old sellers,but new ones too.

brands online
Maybe we need an algorithm (like a Google algorithm) that automatically calculates the top seller via a set of criteria with weighting attached to it.

The simplest algorithm would be X = 50% (sales) and 50% (value)

A more complex one would include cost of enhanced listings, positive ratings for the month, etc all with weighting that add up to a score. The highest score will equal the top seller, and the next highest will equal the second, etc.

To further comlicate/enhance the ratings, there can be an accumulation factor, like a rolling average or something (much like how tennis players or golf players are rated). This will ensure that a top seller can strive to remain on top forever and not lose out just because they were in hospital for 2 weeks and not have sold anything.

It may sound complex, but provided you set out the algorithm properly, a computer fundi (BoB probably has one or two) can easily put it into code that does this automatically.

Whew!:grin:

This sounds like the best suggestion to me. Good going Raj

Edited by brands online

eZethu Coins
As Neil correctly pointed out, the definition of a Top Seller might have been accurate a few years back where item prices within a category averaged out and it did not make a huge difference between number of items sold vs a seller's turnover. We did unfortunately notice a trend in a few categories where sellers "manipulated" the leaderboard by placing just enough low value items to top the list. We then decided that the old definition of a Top Seller is inaccurate as we feature more high-value items now and a seller's ranking can not be properly measured based on number of sales concluded.

We will therefore not rotate the list as the current display is a better reflection of a sellers performance.

What an interesting debate - and obviously an issue close to the hart of many - that is why we are ranked higher on the ladder of intelligence when considering all lifeforms on the planet :-)

Relating this back to other sales scenarios: In one of my previous jobs I had amongst others a sales team reporting to me. We had a similar system - the top sales person was the one with the top profit value for the month (note not the top sales, because business benefit ultimately only by profit). This we however never shared with customers, because although customers in general do not have a problem with business for profit, we never wanted to create the impression that we made too much money from them. It was however used to motivate sales staff "internally".

The accuracy of the new list (or the old or any list for that matter) is relative - "in the eye of the beholder"-stuff. It is however interesting how buyers interpret the list. I have faced a few queries from regulars so far - wanting to know "where I was" (referring to the list) - their interpretation refers to issues like SALES VOLUME, CUSTOMER SERVICE, TOTAL ITEMS LISTED, etc. So is my "research findings" comprehensive and a true representation of the entire BoB community? By no means - research has never been my strong point - I love to rather learn from others research - much less effort :-) I does however make me think that this issue is not black & white - there might be some reason to have a look at more than one ranking list - besides, I'm sure every one wants to be on the list, because it does have a marketing benefit. Ask me - I have seen the benefit. So here is an opportunity to motivate more sellers if there was various categories in which they could excel - which could only be a good thing - for all - buyers, sellers, & BoB.

But that is only my opinion - you decide if it is even worth the 2c :-)

BumbleBabe

Uhm.... where is this top sellers list :thinking:

dstorm

In any industry Top Sales = Top Turnover.

We do not need special formulas to work this out.

The following might not be relevant to the current Top Seller System, but it is still relevant to points made by sellers who are against the current system: The sellers selling more expensive items are more like to pay higher enhancement fees. A seller who lists a single item at R2-00 will definitely not add a listing fee of R50-00 to it. However, should you list an item at R1 000-00, you might just add the extra R50-00.

About a third of my listings cost me at least R50-00 per listing – commission excluded.

By the way, instead of aiming to have x amount of items listed, rather work hard and aim to have ZERO listings. After all, the aim is to sell all your items. The current top seller in the stamp section has only about 30 items listed at the moment, yet he sold more than 300 items in the last month.

Previously, it did not concern me whether I made X amount of money from my shop or from BidorBuy. Now that I can make the Top Ten list, I see things differently and I will tilt my business more to BidorBuy because of the free exposure (this will in turn benefit my other stamp selling outlets as well).

Every seller on BidorBuy should have one aim only: to ultimately make as much nett profit as possible.

OK, I know that I might get some flak because of all of the above, but I am not on BoB to be popular (see above paragraph).

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

brands online
Uhm.... where is this top sellers list :thinking:

Just below the premium listings on the right hand side of each of the category pages...:wink:

nivek456

Hi. A lot of interesting ideas,why not contact Duckworth Lewis they always have a formula, nobody will understand it but it will bring a result.Have a great day everyone.

Regards Kevin

dstorm

O yes, I forgot about Duckworth Lewis and their infamous system. Remember how after a promising game we suddenly had to score 20 odd runs from one ball.

If BoB find out about this system they will force us all to sell at least 20 items per sale.

Regards

Jacques

wayjen

Mac! Mac! Mac! Any news on the closed listing issue we discussed? The reason I asked is that I had 35 items on my pick list to watch and then I had to clear my cache and lost the 35 listings. I have now got to find these listings again and it is a tough job.

The other thing I noticed is that if I go to closed listings and ask for a time period, let's say 21 Jan to 26 Jan only the 26th comes up and it only shows the time as of the search and not before so even that does not help.

Guest MacMuffin

We had some delays. The development is actually done already but will only deployed once another priority enhancement goes live tomorrow (we now allow/display multiple payments to an order in cases where buyers do "top-up" payments). I am certain that your changes should go in either still by Friday or latest Monday next week.

wayjen

Thanks Mr Mac.