Sign in to follow this  
Cold Sea

Coin alignment

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Not sure what this is about, but why would NGC include the comment Medallic Alignment in this graded 1994 R5, when our coins are medal struck anyway. This auction has already closed, so here's the link:

Graded - MINT ERROR @@1 x NGC GRADED MEDALLIC ALLIGNMENT INAUG R5 COIN@@ AU58 was listed for R1,000.00 on 16 Jan at 19:46 by Collecteur de Madiba in Welkom (ID:31502902)

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

When I saw this the impression I got was that when it was rotated the alignment was skew

Doesn't medal alignment mean it is upside down when it is rotated? As far as I know South African coins are not struck as medal alignments.

4kids    10
4kids

Guys, the coin in question here is graded for the non-alignment in the rotation of the dies. Nothing wrong here!

Geewhizz..... You have it all wrong. Almost all South African Coins are medal struck! A coin when rotated on the 12 and 6 o'clock (vertical axis) from left to right or the other way around and showing the Inscriptions in the correct manner is medal struck.

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Rotated dies

Hi 4kids, I'm not so sure. Why would they not grade this as a rotated die instead. Compare the following two:

Graded - GRADED ROTATED DIES: MANDELA PRES INAUG NGC SLABBED MINT ERROR R5 was listed for R10,000.00 on 26 Dec at 07:01 by Collecteur de Madiba in Welkom (ID:29121878)

Graded - MINT ERROR @@1 x NGC GRADED MEDALLIC ALLIGNMENT INAUG R5 COIN@@ AU58 was listed for R1,000.00 on 16 Jan at 19:46 by Collecteur de Madiba in Welkom (ID:31502902)

NGC will grade a coin "rotated die" when the rotation is more than 15 degrees. Medallic alignment is when the dies are rotated a full 180 degrees. I think the grade in this instance suggests that SA coins are coin struck, which is a basic error on the part of NGC.

4kids    10
4kids

You are absolutely right, NGC made a mistake here..... I was not thinking to clear this morning at 06:45am... My apologies.

RISadler    10
RISadler
You are absolutely right, NGC made a mistake here...

Eighty bucks down the drain. :mad:

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Guys, the coin in question here is graded for the non-alignment in the rotation of the dies. Nothing wrong here!

Geewhizz..... You have it all wrong. Almost all South African Coins are medal struck! A coin when rotated on the 12 and 6 o'clock (vertical axis) from left to right or the other way around and showing the Inscriptions in the correct manner is medal struck.

What is a coin referred to as if it is not medal struck.

I thought coins were referred to as medal struck because medals when rotated are upside down.

Update: After going back to my original source I see I had it the wrong way round.

Edited by geewhizz

4kids    10
4kids
What is a coin referred to as if it is not medal struck.

I thought coins were referred to as medal struck because medals when rotated are upside down.

Most our coinage in SA is medal struck, i.e. if you were to hang a coin by a chain around your neck, it would not matter which side is facing front, you will always read and see correctly. Both the reverse and obverse would be right side up.

A coin struck coin such as the Burgers Ponde in contrast would be upside down on one side if the same is applied. This was the way coins used to be struck

Medals, with some exeptions are always both sides, right side up.

Here is a example of medals, Look at the orientation and see what is Medal Strike. When rotated in the vertical axis both sides are upright.

Boer War - *** ULTRA RARE *** 1899 -1902 BOER WAR QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL *** START @ R1 for sale in Durban (ID:31535522)

If a coin is not struck as a Medal struck piece, it is simply referred to as a coin strike.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Yes I thought medal alignment was coin alignment and the other way round.

However, I knew our coins were struck the right way round but was obviously using the wrong description.

4kids    10
4kids
Yes I thought medal alignment was coin alignment and the other way round.

However, I knew our coins were struck the right way round but was obviously using the wrong description.

And so we all make mistakes and learn by them. I am just happy to be able to assist.