Sign in to follow this  
jomoreb

new seller in town

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

Hello there...I just noticed this website a few days ago and decided to check it out. I am a computer technician based in the U.S. I build desktop at my spare time and I've sold a few on auction websites. I just wanted to know what you guys think...how would custom built desktop fare on this website...are there people out there looking for well built, "better looking than HP and Dell" PC's andwould pay good money for it? Am talking about dual cores to quad cores and 6 cores with 4gb to 16gb ram?

Just want to know what you guys think?

kyle2    10
kyle2

If you are based in the US, how are you going to get these items to South Africa? The shipping costs might be prohibitive?:confused:

retailrush    10
retailrush

Not to mention customs duties etc.

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

shipping

I normally ship it as a gift...and I use usps...average shipping price should be between $100-130....depending on what i sell the desktop for, and of course my profit margin, I can try to help with the shipping, trying to make it easier for my buyer....

oh by the way I use google checkout or anyother payment option that would be safe for me and the buyer

Edited by jomoreb

kyle2    10
kyle2

Give us an idea as to what an average unit would cost from you in dollars and add shipping of $100 to that and multiply that by 7, thats roughly what we would have to pay for it in Rands.

The customs here are very clued up and you won't get many through as a gift item, so marking them that way is a short term solution, also there is going to be a customs surcharge of about 20-30% at some point.

Edited by kyle2

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

okay...a quad core processor, with 500gb hard drive 4gb hard drive with dvd burner and windows 7 home and probably a wireless card for internet will be around $750 and that includes shipping ($650 for unit plus $100 for shipping) so.. that should be around 5250...so for less than 5500 u can get a well built desktop....what do you guys think...too much or fair enough?

kyle2    10
kyle2

Thats not an unreasonable price, I think you might have a slow start though, there have been a few scam artists and conmen who have used this facility to extract money from trusting buyers, being located overseas and selling such a high value item might cause many to hesitate before handing over huge amounts of cash, I would suggest that you contact the powers that be on Bidorbuy, and seek advice before listing.

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

oh okay ...i really appreciate your input...I just want to expand my customer base ...that is if i want turn this hobby of mine into something worthwhile....Kinda getting tired of working for someone else ...lol..by the way, how popular is google checkout in SA

kyle2    10
kyle2

Personally I've never heard of it, others might have though.

RISadler    10
RISadler
how popular is google checkout in SA

Last time I checked we here in SA weren't allowed to use it, but maybe this has changed. :suspicious:

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

oh okay...well am pretty sure there are other ways of paying for stuff online...I personally hate paypal so am not giving them anymore of my money...i hope am able to setup a payment option on this thing...I certainly understand people being ripped off over the internet...Ive been thru it and its no fun at all..whats the more popular methods of payment on this website?

RISadler    10
RISadler

Maybe of some use... many of my eBay purchases are for outdated/discontinued computer parts.

jomoreb    10
jomoreb

I am also interested in finding resellers or retailers in SA i can send my desktops to ....I want to expand my customer base...I am willing to limit my profit to allow room for the retailer to make some too..

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles
by the way, how popular is google checkout in SA

From the South African side I have made an EFT transfer from my account (FNB) to an account at Standard Bank (for Google) - I also use this account for google adwords. I believe google is now in SA as well and hold an account at Standard Bank - not sure how it works, but yes it is available and gaining popularity.

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

Google Checkout works for South Africans. As it is not a popular payment mechanism we have no intention at this point in time to provide this as a payment mechanism. As with shipping items to RSA, the biggest concern would be warranty issues as custom-build PCs will not have any carry-in warranty with local PC brands.

Edited by MacMuffin