Sign in to follow this  
Howard Neill

Projector Screens

Howard Neill

I have discovered an old folding projector screen in the top of a cupboard. It could be useful for company seminars, schools, etc. Would it be worth putting up for sale on BoB? Shipment might be a problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1057[/ATTACH]

BumbleBabe

If it is in good condition, yes I think so. Just name your postage price in order to package up safely.

Howard Neill

Thanks BumbleBabe

Being a newcomer to this game, I didn't think that the Post Office would accept something so big. Folded, it is 1,4 metres long and weighs several KG. I suppose that I could liberally wrap it with bubble wrap and encase the whole lot in cardboard. I always thought of the Post Office handling things that you can easily pass to the clerk, over the counter. We live and learn.

Cheers

BumbleBabe

There are limits, but I am not sure now what they are but I do think that may just make it. Get a booklet from your PO with prices and sizes.

wayjen

Howard, put it up you never know what will happen.

retailrush

Ordinary Parcel

"An ordinary parcel is any postal item that is bigger than 353 x 250 x 30mm and/or weighs more than 1kg. The maximum length is 1m and the length plus girth may not be more than 2m."

Howard, it seems your projector screen may be too long to send via the post office... For items like this I would say in my listing that "local buyers" are welcome to collect and that buyers from other regions will have to arrange a courier for their account. This worked for me last year when I sold a particularly large item to someone in Cape Town - the buyer arranged for a courier company to collect I didn't have to do anything.

I also sold an old excercise bike recently which wouldn't have been worth the cost of couriering to other areas - so I just stated in my listing that this auction is for Pretoria / Johannesburg buyers only. That worked well too...

Good luck Howard - I am sure that this item will sell.

lilythepink
Thanks BumbleBabe

Being a newcomer to this game, I didn't think that the Post Office would accept something so big. Folded, it is 1,4 metres long and weighs several KG. I suppose that I could liberally wrap it with bubble wrap and encase the whole lot in cardboard. I always thought of the Post Office handling things that you can easily pass to the clerk, over the counter. We live and learn.

Cheers

So long as it weighs under 30 kg, you should not have a problem sending it through the Post Office! You might just like to weigh the item so you can calculate the postage, add a bit extra for bubble wrap and outer packaging and then set that as your shipping price in your listing. Good luck! :idea:

lilythepink
Ordinary Parcel

"An ordinary parcel is any postal item that is bigger than 353 x 250 x 30mm and/or weighs more than 1kg. The maximum length is 1m and the length plus girth may not be more than 2m."

Howard, it seems your projector screen may be too long to send via the post office... For items like this I would say in my listing that "local buyers" are welcome to collect and that buyers from other regions will have to arrange a courier for their account. This worked for me last year when I sold a particularly large item to someone in Cape Town - the buyer arranged for a courier company to collect I didn't have to do anything.

I also sold an old excercise bike recently which wouldn't have been worth the cost of couriering to other areas - so I just stated in my listing that this auction is for Pretoria / Johannesburg buyers only. That worked well too...

Good luck Howard - I am sure that this item will sell.

I have received two items through the PO last year which were longer than one metre - no problem at all! One weighed 12 kg and arrived safely!

Howard Neill

Thanks guys, for all the input. It is appreciated. It would appear that my first challenge is to photograph it, so that is looks nice.

Cheers

booksallsizes

Just to be sure, why don't you take it to your local PO and ask them if you will be able to send it through them? I have also received very large parcels through the post with no problems - as long as they weigh under 30kgs. So it should be fine - but rather check before listing that it can be posted so you save yourself a headache further down the line...

Howard Neill

Good thinking, Books. We have three post offices within a 4 kilometres radius of our home.

Howard Neill

We took the screen to Valyland Post Office, which is a smaller sub branch. They said that the folded screen is too long for them to accept. They redirected us to the "main branch" on Main Road, Fish Hoek. The main branch will accept it as an ordinary domestic parcel. It presently weighs 5.8kg. With packaging, it might weigh 6kg or more. At 6kg, the postage would be R50.45.

This will cost me time and money to pack and despatch. I will set the postage at R100 and think that is very fair.

Thanks for all of the input.

RISadler

Ah, the classic "how to post something which is longer than permitted" puzzle...

Put it in a box that measures 99cm by 99cm. (Remember Pythagoras' Theorem from school?)

Howard Neill

I am still not sure if I ever understood Pythagoras' Theorem? I do remember that "volts over amps = ohms", if that helps. :wink:

RISadler
I do remember that "volts over amps = ohms" ...

Don't you mean "V = IR"? :suspicious:

wayjen
We took the screen to Valyland Post Office, which is a smaller sub branch. They said that the folded screen is too long for them to accept. They redirected us to the "main branch" on Main Road, Fish Hoek. The main branch will accept it as an ordinary domestic parcel. It presently weighs 5.8kg. With packaging, it might weigh 6kg or more. At 6kg, the postage would be R50.45.

This will cost me time and money to pack and despatch. I will set the postage at R100 and think that is very fair.

Thanks for all of the input.

Valyland, my old stomping ground well actual all of Fish Hoek and Sun Valley for that matter.

Howard Neill

Ours was a backward class. Everything had to be spelt out for us. Our eyes would glaze over at the mere thought of "V = IR". :wondering:

wayjen

the whole area has changed allot.

mellowred

When I arrived in Cape Town 22 years ago (hell am I that old already :amazed:) I stayed in Simonstown for a few weeks. Loved Fish Hoek and the surrounds.

We took a day trip there about three months ago - wow what a change. But the flat I always fancied, on a bend in Bantry Bay, with a box bay window, was still there. Traffic jams had not improved though :grin:.

Howard Neill

The auction was unsuccessful - not one single bid. Other Projectors - Tripod Projector Screen - Hunter Starlight - 122cm x 121cm - Glass Beaded was listed for R10.00 on 19 Jan at 19:16 by Howard Neill in Cape Town (ID:31425889)

The almost identical screen is currently on special at Makro, for R1,000. What went wrong? Is the screen too old? Could the advert have been better worded?

retailrush

I think your listing is fine Howard - just re-list it... sometimes it takes a while for that one person to come along.

I must say your starting price of R10.00 seems a little low - but that's your choice. If you are going to make a decent price you are going to need two bidders who want it and who will push up the price. The other alternative is to put it on a "Buy Now" at a price you would be happy to receive.

Anyway - good luck!!!

Wendy

Howard Neill

Thanks Wendy

The advice is appreciated. I'll give it another go, at a higher price.

Cheers

DestinysAngels
The auction was unsuccessful - not one single bid. Other Projectors - Tripod Projector Screen - Hunter Starlight - 122cm x 121cm - Glass Beaded was listed for R10.00 on 19 Jan at 19:16 by Howard Neill in Cape Town (ID:31425889)

The almost identical screen is currently on special at Makro, for R1,000. What went wrong? Is the screen too old? Could the advert have been better worded?

:hm:Shoe that is way too low, i sold one similar quite some time back and i got a very good price for mine, if i have time tommorrow i will go look for that listing and then send you a PM with the auction, it might help you a bit!

DestinysAngels

:razz:I sent you a PM with the details of mine, good luck and start your price like i did, you will sell it, just be patient!

Howard Neill

Thanks DestinysAngels. I have done that. The advice is appreciated.

Cheers