Sign in to follow this  
RAJRULES1

Unfair Negative Rating

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

I a seller receives what he believes to be an unfair rating, can it be appealed to BoB?

Tattoos & Body Art - 6 PAGES of Special Design VARIOUS TYPES of Temporary Tattoo Booklets was sold for R1.00 on 2 Jan at 21:31 by RAJRULES1 in Scottburgh (ID:30808583)

The negative rating I received (first one since I joined BoB) is

All ratings received by RAJRULES1 from buyers on bidorbuy.co.za

I was not given a chance to resolve this amicably, although I am trying this.

:huh:

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Raj

Try it, send BoB all the correspondence you have between you and the buyer and state your case professionally.

Ask them to review the rating and see what happens.

Your postage terms are clearly displayed upfront and you can't be rated negatively for this after the fact.

No-one forced the buyer to buy from you if they didn't like the postage.

Good luck

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

No one has to bid on an auction if they feel the postage is too high.

If I wanted these items I would not bid on them because it would not cost an extra R10 to send another one.

You are clearly saying that you do not negotiate shipping on R1 auctions.

To me that seems where you loose on the auction you gain on postage.

Edited by geewhizz

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
No one has to bid on an auction if they feel the postage is too high.

If I wanted these items I would not bid on them because it would not cost an extra R10 to send another one.

You are clearly saying that you do not negotioate shipping on R1 auctions.

To me that seems where you loose on the auction you gain on postage.

And if I understand shipping correctly on BoB, one may not make a profit out of postage and insurance! It just isn't fair to buyers.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

It depends on how the item was posted.

If it was posted ordinary post without a tracking number, then these fees are excessive.

If it was posted with a tracking number, then the initial shipping fee is fair, but the combination fee is too high.

If I was offering this I would allow a certain number of items at no combination fee, until it reaches 1 kg in weight, then the same number of items for the combo fee of a little more than each kg.

But I still don't think BoB would necessarily consider this excessive if it was posted with a tracking number.

Of course, you would have to ask to make sure

Gixy123    11
Gixy123

Hello everyone,

Ugh! Just received my first negative ratings, and needless to say: NOT HAPPY...

This is a new(ish) buyer with a rating of only 10. He won the item on the 18th, paid on the 19th and immediately proceeded to leave a NEGATIVE rating, stating that he'll change it as soon as he receives his items. Okay, not liking it, but okay...

Today he left feedback - and I received 3 negative feedbacks, without any explanation other than "not impressed with this item". I aim to place very clear pictures of my items, with an exact description of each item. None of the three items were (a) not pictured, (b) described incorrectly, © misrepresented by my description, (d) condition other than stated and (e) the buyer never contacted me to say that he is unhappy/unsatisfied with the condition of the item - and therefore not giving me the opportunity to offer any kind of refund or rectification. These items were priced/sold at R15 each, but these items amounting R45 are now leaving me with ratings that is going to cost me some clientele. Two of these items were handmade, never been played with, with the accessory lot brand new, in deboxed condition (not stated).

I have some regular buyers who make specific notes of the condition of each item they receive. Although I state that I only mail my items on Wednesdays and Fridays, I do send 99% of my items out well before those days. I also ensure that my buyers receive their tracking numbers the same day as when it went to the Post Office.

I really feel that I don't deserve these ratings, as the items were exactly as I described them in my listings, sent out in a timely fashion. I have not left him feedback, pending the response I get from Bid or Buy, whom I just contacted by email. Do I just leave out feedback now, or wait for BOB's response before doing this?

Would love to hear how to respond to this from other sellers - I'm very upset!

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Gixy123

Please send an email to hello@bidorbuy.co.za stating your case, ask them to investigate as there is no detail in the rating and to remove the ratings if they deem them unfair.

They usually send the buyer an email asking them to clarify their negative rating and then get back to you about it.

This type of situation is uncalled for, also check how this buyer has rated other sellers, he could be making a habit of it and then this also needs to be reported.

Good luck.

Gixy123    11
Gixy123

Hello Tananka!

Thank you so much for your response - small error in my posting: he left a neutral directly after his payment (not a negative - huge apologies), but changed it to negative today.

I did email hello@bidorbuy.co.za explaining everything and hope that they'll take a look at this situation. I really, really enjoy selling on BOB and my major aim is to keep my buyers happy - I really try my best to list any flaws of items, and list things that I'd consider buying myself. But this buyer really didn't even give me a chance to rectify the 'problem' - but all of the items was exactly as described, so I really can't understand this rating.

Have a wonderful evening - your response made me feel a tad better than I did earlier!

Kind regards,

Gixy123

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
And if I understand shipping correctly on BoB, one may not make a profit out of postage and insurance! It just isn't fair to buyers.

One keeps hearing that you may NOT profit on postage. It seems a controversial issue, with some sellers making the point a) that by combining for a fee that the buyer is actually saving over what they would pay if the items were sent individually (the seller is also scoring as the increase in postage if any is negligible in comparison to what they charge to combine additional items), b) That the buyer when he bids / buys is making an informed decision and is accepting the shipping charges as they are clearly displayed (Yes, this is 100% true, if not happy with the shipping charges, dont buy).

I did ask Bob a question in a previous thread which remains unanswered (my question was specifically as to when was a seller last penalised for overcharging). What is to stop sellers overcharging postage? I have also heard some mention that sellers will be penalised for overcharging on shipping (is this a rule). And if it is a rule, it would be interesting to know when it has been enforced and what penalties were meted out?

Personally, I have sold items before, and when packing the item the shipping worked out that I would be profiting. No, I didnt offer to give the buyer a refund, but I added equivalent value to the order. I think the sad thing however is that when a buyer (and especially new ones who may be put off bob permanently), buy something and pay shipping, to find out that its a fraction of what the actual postage charge was.

Edited by Seeds for Africa
Grammar

Vegar    10
Vegar

If the buyer doesn't like the item they may leave negative feedback and BoB will not intervene.

Just happened to me. I sold 3 identical items - got 2 positives and one negative - buyer was disappointed and did not accept refund.

I will be watching the outcome and good luck with your appeal!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

A number of people defended you under the thread on feedback to "Bidorbuy team" but it seems Cuan has a good reason for not removing the rating.The chief has spoken

:rolleyes:

Vegar    10
Vegar
A number of people defended you under the thread on feedback to "Bidorbuy team" but it seems Cuan has a good reason for not removing the rating.The chief has spoken

:rolleyes:

I was very supported on the forum which was extremely helpful in a very frustrating situation.

I was never told what this "good reason" was for not removing the negative rating. If there was any 'hidden' reason then I know nothing about it and the fact that the impression was created that I, as a seller, was at fault is very unfair.

The only reason I was given was that "in matters of quality" they do not intervene.

'Quality' is very subjective and if a listing is clear then one would assume that the buyer has a good idea of what they are buying.

I will 'live' with the negative - but here we have a case of a seller Gixy123 who received 3 negatives while having complied with the rules of clarity in the listing. Will the outcome be the same? I hope not!

qball    11
qball
One keeps hearing that you may NOT profit on postage. It seems a controversial issue, with some sellers making the point a) that by combining for a fee that the buyer is actually saving over what they would pay if the items were sent individually (the seller is also scoring as the increase in postage if any is negligible in comparison to what they charge to combine additional items), b) That the buyer when he bids / buys is making an informed decision and is accepting the shipping charges as they are clearly displayed (Yes, this is 100% true, if not happy with the shipping charges, dont buy).

I did ask Bob a question in a previous thread which remains unanswered (my question was specifically as to when was a seller last penalised for overcharging). What is to stop sellers overcharging postage? I have also heard some mention that sellers will be penalised for overcharging on shipping (is this a rule). And if it is a rule, it would be interesting to know when it has been enforced and what penalties were meted out?

Personally, I have sold items before, and when packing the item the shipping worked out that I would be profiting. No, I didnt offer to give the buyer a refund, but I added equivalent value to the order. I think the sad thing however is that when a buyer (and especially new ones who may be put off bob permanently), buy something and pay shipping, to find out that its a fraction of what the actual postage charge was.

We charged someone last week for excessive shipping, 5% of the total shipping amount as per our Listing Policy. Sellers are stopped when we warn them, restrict their selling ability, remove their listings, or close their account permanently, so there are punitive measures in place to deter sellers from doing so. Most of the time, the seller is co-operative and does reduce the shipping charges to more reasonable charges, thus further action is not necessary.

Please also be aware that combining fees are common place on online auction sites, as long as they are reasonable, disclosed up front. Reasonable handling fees are also permitted, which include such things as packaging, possibly fuel, and other ancillary costs for securing the package.

Edited by qball
Added comment

qball    11
qball
I was very supported on the forum which was extremely helpful in a very frustrating situation.

I was never told what this "good reason" was for not removing the negative rating. If there was any 'hidden' reason then I know nothing about it and the fact that the impression was created that I, as a seller, was at fault is very unfair.

The only reason I was given was that "in matters of quality" they do not intervene.

'Quality' is very subjective and if a listing is clear then one would assume that the buyer has a good idea of what they are buying.

I will 'live' with the negative - but here we have a case of a seller Gixy123 who received 3 negatives while having complied with the rules of clarity in the listing. Will the outcome be the same? I hope not!

Quality is always subjective - who are we to argue that the buyer's perception of the quality of the item is incorrect? We simply cannot, that is why we will not intervene, you have every opportunity to respond to the rating and give your side.

Unfortunately that is our policy - as long as the rating relates to the purchase - quality, service, communication etc. and is not abusive or confrontational, we generally will not intervene. As with all internet sites, regardless of whether an item is clearly described with photo's, quality of the item cannot always be determined as the buyer cannot actually inspect the goods and thus have a certain expectation when they receive it. This expectation may not be met when they get the goods, so we cannot get involved in that scenario. It's how you respond and handle the rating/criticism that shows other buyers just what kind of seller you are.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
We charged someone last week for excessive shipping, 5% of the total shipping amount as per our Listing Policy. Sellers are stopped when we warn them, restrict their selling ability, remove their listings, or close their account permanently, so there are punitive measures in place to deter sellers from doing so. Most of the time, the seller is co-operative and does reduce the shipping charges to more reasonable charges, thus further action is not necessary.

Please also be aware that combining fees are common place on online auction sites, as long as they are reasonable, disclosed up front. Reasonable handling fees are also permitted, which include such things as packaging, possibly fuel, and other ancillary costs for securing the package.

Thanks. Thats very clear to me now.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
If the buyer doesn't like the item they may leave negative feedback and BoB will not intervene.

Just happened to me. I sold 3 identical items - got 2 positives and one negative - buyer was disappointed and did not accept refund.

I will be watching the outcome and good luck with your appeal!

I repeat what I say all the time. If a buyer is unhappy with a purchase from a retailer the buyer does not have the option to negative rate the seller

The article can only be returned and the buyer refunded.

If a seller offers a refund then the buyer is at fault if he/she persists in giving the negative rating which I find spiteful and very unfair.

babyface2    10
babyface2

just received a negative rating from a buyer with -1 rating beacuase she thought the item was smaller than she thought.

she first sends email saying she does not want the item and before i could reply a negative follows:mad: now what have i done wrong??? the listing clearly states the sizes.

did contact bob to remove rating lets see what will happen:whistling:

beware of this buyer as it seems she is unable to read at time of bidding and after close of auction the brain cells kick in.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals
just received a negative rating from a buyer with -1 rating beacuase she thought the item was smaller than she thought.

she first sends email saying she does not want the item and before i could reply a negative follows:mad: now what have i done wrong??? the listing clearly states the sizes.

beware of this buyer as it seems she is unable to read at time of bidding and after close of auction the brain cells kick in.

My word, this is ridiculous, the heading clearly states its for Barbie's. Does she not know that this is a doll?

The logical thought would be that it is doll's furniture and the sizes given confirms it.

Buyers like this are very frustrating.

babyface2    10
babyface2

gosh, she actually changed the rating to positive now:cheesy:

Vegar    10
Vegar

LOL ... there is no way to protect oneself from people who do not bother to read descriptions - and that would have been a great bargain for 40 bucks!

I am selling a very nice iron wrought bed - 1/12 scale I sincerely hope no one is going to mistake it for a real bed and give me another "disappointed" negative ... LOL :nuts: (I am like a bit hysterical over this issue ...forgive me :embarrest:)

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
LOL ... there is no way to protect oneself from people who do not bother to read descriptions - and that would have been a great bargain for 40 bucks!

I am selling a very nice iron wrought bed - 1/12 scale I sincerely hope no one is going to mistake it for a real bed and give me another "disappointed" negative ... LOL :nuts: (I am like a bit hysterical over this issue ...forgive me :embarrest:)

You better be careful.... your items look so realistic (which is a good thing), that people may mistake them for the real thing!!!!

babyface2    10
babyface2

I was thinking of you Vegar when i asked bob to remove the rating, which is not neccesary any more, thank goodness, i mailed this buyer and it was quite tempting to be not so nice, but thank goodness it turned out well.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I once had 3 Jumbo Jets (Boeing 747) scale models in my shop.

Fortunately I did not list them on BoB….

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Vegar    10
Vegar
gosh, she actually changed the rating to positive now:cheesy:

Good for you :smile:

I have some of my miniatures listed with a matchbox for comparison ... how do I convince people that it is a normal matchbox and not a giant one ? :blink1:

I need someone to translate into polite Afrikaans: "Please read description carefully and ask questions if you are in doubt" thanks :grin:

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
I need someone to translate into polite Afrikaans: "Please read description carefully and ask questions if you are in doubt" thanks :grin:

Answer (Option one): "Haai liewe Bobber! Ek neem aan dat u kan lees. Indien u soos die meeste op ons vasteland 'n intelligensie-agtergeblewene skepsel is, vra asseblief 'n vraag; selfs omtrent die sin... In kort: Onseker? Vra my asseblief gerus 'n vraag. Ek sien reikhalsend daarna uit om u te hulp te snel - glo my asb.!"

Option two: "Indien u onseker is oor enige iets in die [verkoops]advertensie; nadat u alles deeglik gelees het... Vra my asb. gerus 'n vraag."

PS Two of plenty. "Two" is more discreet...

Edited by Edmund1000
op...