Sign in to follow this  
Howard Neill

What sells best on BoB and things to avoid?

Howard Neill

My wife and I were wedding videographers for 15 years. We worked as a team and were happy in our work. Then I contracted idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. That is a rare lung disease which leaves the patient increasingly short of breath. We have had to sell the video business. I have sold the video equipment and other personal items on Bid or Buy. I have enjoyed that, but now I am running out of things to sell.

Can anyone recommend a good ongoing line or lines which will sell well on BoB? I don't want to tread on anybody's toes or poach on existing territory. I would prefer to sell South African made products.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid?

Any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to send PMs.

Cheers

Howard

Diagnosed with IPF August 2009

O2 humidifiers make you sing better.

lilythepink

From my perspective, one can sell anything (legal) on BoB. Unusual items are always quick sellers and it's just a case of doing a lot of homework to find items which are different from what one already finds listed on the site. I've found handcrafted costume jewellery to be a somewhat slow seller. Sometimes it's a case of listing and re-listing before an item sells but the fun (if you're in it as a paying "hobby") is trying anything and everything. I'm sure other bigger sellers will also be able to point you in the right direction - these are just my suggestions.

Howard Neill

Thank you, LilyThePink

You might think that I am mad, asking this question on this forum, but I have discovered that professionals don't mind giving advice and helping each other.

Cheers

lilythepink
Thank you, LilyThePink

You might think that I am mad, asking this question on this forum, but I have discovered that professionals don't mind giving advice and helping each other.

Well I don't think you're mad for asking a question like that, but you're very welcome on BoB's Mad-Hatters forum! :razz:

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Howard

If there's something that you are passionate about, you could possibly sell something in that line.

It helps if you know your products well.

A mistake to avoid is to ensure that you always have stock on hand of what you're selling, don't sell something that you don't have.

The faster you can ship after payment being received, the better.

Buyers don't want to wait for their goods and good communication solves a lot of misunderstandings.

If something goes wrong, let your buyers know immediately and when you can expect to rectify it.

A suggestion is to keep an eye on the Recently Bought and Won Link on the Home Page over a period of time.

You can list books, but although I work in the book section, I wouldn't recommend it as a main line because,

if you have a look you'll see its the biggest category on BoB, which means you don't get as much exposure as sellers in other categories.

Hope this helps

Howard Neill

Thanks Tananka

I don't think that books are for me. I have enjoyed despatching my own books, but I can't see me doing it as a business. I concur 100% about always having stock available and despatching promptly, with good seller/buyer communication. I have learnt a lot by selling my own things and always want to have satisfied clients.

Cheers

JPBon

Seeing as you were in the photographic business why not look for something in those lines, you have the knowledge perhaps look for a supplier.

Howard Neill
Seeing as you were in the photographic business why not look for something in those lines, you have the knowledge perhaps look for a supplier.

Thanks. When you say "photographic business", I am a videographer. I don't consider myself to be a photographer. I am considering offering the digitising of 35mm slides (transparencies). I don't think that lends itself to advertising on BoB? I am open to correction.

lilythepink

I don't see why your digitising of 35mm slides should not be advertised on BoB! It is a great service and I'm sure you'd get takers.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Oh, yes, you can offer any legal service on BoB.

As this would require lquite a bit of liasing with the client, it might be easier to list it as a classified so your clients can contact you directly.

The fee is R50.00 per month and you don't pay success fees.

Howard Neill

Thanks. R50 per month is not so much, if the results come in.

Cheers

RISadler
Then I contracted idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

Please remove all MSG from your dietary intake.

Howard Neill

True's Bob? :grin:

RISadler

Yip. And also aspartame ("aka" formaldehyde), saccharin and any other artificial flavourants and sweeteners. :ninja:

Howard Neill

What a kill joy! :worried: Thanks. Your suggestions are appreciated.

lilythepink

I second that proposal, Howard. It's not a joke how MSG can affect your health - whether it's IPF, arthritis, stomach ulcers or whatever. And it seems to be in many, many processed foods today - not always properly listed!

Howard Neill

So, if I cut out all MSG, will the IPF get better? :idea:

MsPlod

Does that mean also removing tomatoes and carrots? Natural sources of MSG?

Howard Neill
So, if I cut out all MSG, will the IPF get better? :idea:

That wasn't a fair question to ask. I think that know the answer.

I have enjoyed the past few months, selling some of my own things on BoB. I have met some really nice people. I would like to continue my association with BoB, its buyers and sellers. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Cheers

lilythepink
That wasn't a fair question to ask. I think that know the answer. I have enjoyed the past few months, selling some of my own things on BoB. I have met some really nice people. I would like to continue my association with BoB, its buyers and sellers. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Cheers

Natural MSG is fine (as in foods recorded by MsPlod! lol). Eliminating additional MSG from your diet will not (I think) cure you ailment but it will relieve it! Not adding MSG to my diet helps my arthritis tremendously - if I eat even one piece of KFC I have seriously sore wrist and finger joints the next day!

Howard Neill

I'm OK with KFC. I think that I have a robust dietary system? In the 60s, I lived in the Bulawayo Police Mess. That is enough to toughen up the most finicky eater. :bigsmile:

lilythepink

I'm OK with KFC. I think that I have a robust dietary system? In the 60s, I lived in the Bulawayo Police Mess. That is enough to toughen up the most finicky eater. :bigsmile:

Now I am envious - I love KFC but it doesn't return my sentiments!

RISadler
So, if I cut out all MSG, will the IPF get better?

It's worth a shot, don't you think so?

MSG (aka E621) usually presents with symptoms similar to heart and/or lung diseases, and it is unknown whether the strain placed on said organs by said chemical eventually actually causes diseases with said symptoms. :suspicious:

From what I've read, the cause of IPF is unknown... :ninja:

RISadler
Not adding MSG to my diet helps my arthritis tremendously - if I eat even one piece of KFC I have seriously sore wrist and finger joints the next day!

Also check your daily gluten intake...

lilythepink
Also check your daily gluten intake...

Yes, I do! Hardly ever touch wheat, etc, but when I do, I know all about it!

Regarding your comment about Howard - his condition is just all his naughtiness coming out. (Sorry, Howard, I couldn't resist making this comment!) :grin: